Fight through the Temple Ship & thoughts

#1Lexar_Posted 11/11/2012 9:08:11 PM(edited)
Game freezes right after the cutscene before the final fight. My most recent save file is from before the Gollop Chamber.

Screw this, I'm looking up the ending. I'll probably beat it eventually to get the achievement, but I don't feel like going through all that crap again.

First-time playthrough on Classic. No countries lost, but 12-15 deaths. I had a habit of using rookies as cannon fodder early on. :(

Overall, despite the glitches it was a very enjoyable game. It's my first XCOM game, and if a sequel is released I'll definitely buy it. A few gripes I had though:

1. Enemy discovery mechanic makes so that it is advantageous if they discover you, and disadvantageous if you discover them, especially if one of your soldiers stumbles upon them after everybody else has finished moving. You could argue that it's simply the result of poor tactics, but I don't think it's always the case. If your last soldier just happens to get LoS over that corner or cliffside, you could discover an enemy that was just on the brink of your vision. This is problematic considering how difficult it is to accurately gauge vision in this game.

2. Enemy AI: It's too passive. I get that their main tactic is to sit back and take advantage of their better weaponry but they never seem to abuse their other glaring advantage: their numbers. Too often you'll clear out a pack of Mutons only to discover another was just idly standing a few feet away while their friends got slaughtered and it becomes painfully obvious if you use the battle scanner a lot like me. Most missions are just a matter of finding a pack or two of 3 enemies, killing them, then moving forward to discover the next pack until everything is dead and the mission ends. The one exception are terror missions - this is where the A.I. really shines because it actually attempts to overwhelm you. IMO the only really challenging missions unless you're playing on Impossible.

3. Snipers become completely game-breaking once you've upgraded them fully. Any challenge the game attempts to introduce by adding tougher enemies is negated by the fact that you have one, or two machines of death that miss nothing, see everything, kill everything except Sectopods in a single hit and with some luck, can even take those down alone in a single turn, and to make it even sillier nothing can hit them since they're sitting all the way in the back. No risk for amazing reward.

4. Flanking system is a bit erratic at times but not too bad. Small annoyance is how the developers decided to give some of the more advanced units natural defense to make them "harder". How the hell is a Sectopod harder to hit than a tiny Drone? Or a Sectoid? Would've been better to give them flat damage reduction IMO.
---
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train.
PSN: Chaotic_Infinity
#2Autofire2Posted 11/11/2012 9:57:10 PM
Sorry bout the glitch :( that really blows.

1. Yup.

2. You're absolutely right about this. I still think the gameplay is really awesome though, despite the fact that it doesn't make sense that they don't just swarm you unless, as the final mission implies

SPOILERS

...that everything is a test and that the aliens could have overwhelmed you whenever they wanted. Basically they wanted to see how far your potential would develop.

3. The risk is getting snipers to that point. They're also the last of your soldiers, typically, to get Plasma weaponry. So its a slow burn where they aren't quite as useful as, say, assaults for a lot of the game, they have expensive specialized weaponry that can't be salvaged from enemies etc. and then they become GODLIKE when they're fully upped. Fair enough, I think. Also, without snapshot (which deprives you of the much more useful squadsight) they can't move and fire at the same time whic is a HUGE deal in this game.

4. I think, despite the "dodge" animation, its meant to imply that a glancing hit will hurt a drone, but won't even warm up the sectopod armor. So its not so much that you can't hit it, but that the actual vulnerable area on it is fairly small.
---
Duncan MacLeod: There can be only one.
#3HotIceHunterPosted 11/11/2012 11:06:19 PM
Autofire2 posted...
Sorry bout the glitch :( that really blows.
4. I think, despite the "dodge" animation, its meant to imply that a glancing hit will hurt a drone, but won't even warm up the sectopod armor. So its not so much that you can't hit it, but that the actual vulnerable area on it is fairly small.

Ya, I think that's how it's supposed to be too. Think of their armor as D&D armor where better armor doesn't make a hit do less damage, but makes it harder to land a good blow. It's counter-intuitive, but... whatever.
#4Lexar_(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 6:39:35 AM
Autofire2 posted...

3. The risk is getting snipers to that point. They're also the last of your soldiers, typically, to get Plasma weaponry. So its a slow burn where they aren't quite as useful as, say, assaults for a lot of the game, they have expensive specialized weaponry that can't be salvaged from enemies etc. and then they become GODLIKE when they're fully upped. Fair enough, I think. Also, without snapshot (which deprives you of the much more useful squadsight) they can't move and fire at the same time whic is a HUGE deal in this game.

Eh, my heavies were the last ones to get fully upgraded. They did their job as nukers just fine, plasma weapons or not, and their aim was too unreliable anyways. Snapshot is completely unnecessary when you can hit everything without having to move. All you need is to get to a good vantage point (or artificially create one, once you get archangel armor) and you'll get LoS on almost anything. Seriously, two Colonel snipers with archangel armor take all the difficulty out of the game.
---
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train.
PSN: Chaotic_Infinity
#5MoodyHoePosted 11/12/2012 7:05:36 AM
machines of death that miss nothing

I'm sorry but are we playing the same game ? Even with 95% hit they still manage to miss like 4 out of 10 shots.
---
'Anyone can speak Troll,' said Fred dismissively, 'all you have to do is point and grunt.'
#6Altgexx231Posted 11/12/2012 11:33:24 AM
MoodyHoe posted...
machines of death that miss nothing

I'm sorry but are we playing the same game ? Even with 95% hit they still manage to miss like 4 out of 10 shots.

I think you're just getting screwed over by the RNG really hard. My fully upped snipers hardly ever miss anything.
#7Beaviz81Posted 11/12/2012 11:54:01 AM
I never dare to shoot the Sectopods, rockets red glare is my answer. Same with Etherals. I rarely bother with Snipers and Assault due to the weapons they use. There are only so much Elerium to spare, and Heavy Plasma tends to be free. The only disadvantage to my tactic is that I often have to shoot down many more ufos just to get enough undamaged flight computers, though two battleships seems to eliminate any problem I had with rockets going awry.
#8ViltrisPosted 11/15/2012 2:12:41 PM
Lexar_ posted...
1. Enemy discovery mechanic makes so that it is advantageous if they discover you, and disadvantageous if you discover them, especially if one of your soldiers stumbles upon them after everybody else has finished moving. You could argue that it's simply the result of poor tactics, but I don't think it's always the case. If your last soldier just happens to get LoS over that corner or cliffside, you could discover an enemy that was just on the brink of your vision. This is problematic considering how difficult it is to accurately gauge vision in this game.

It's still poor tactics. From your description, it sounds like you're using both actions of a squad member (or worse, dashing) while pushing into unknown territory. What you should be doing is using your first action to move to cover, and then switch to your next squad member without using the second action, and repeat. If the last soldier discovers an enemy, you still have the option of retreating. If not, either Overwatch, Hunker Down, or reload your primary weapon.
---
\/