Heavy - Shredder Rocket or Suppression?

#1GeneralGuanPosted 3/14/2013 10:13:31 PM
What do you pick for your heavy? I go for shredder rocket, as early on another rocket is a huge boon. Suppression is good, but since a heavy only has 3 ammo early on, if you shoot and suppress on the same turn, you'll have no ammo left on the next turn and you're forced to use a rocket/grenade, or reload. Also, supports get suppression as well, they have more ammo and can't shoot twice, so you can suppress twice in a row, or shoot/suppress/shoot or something. Also support gives up revive, which is not that useful, especially compared to having a second rocket early game and the shred ability for late game. The drawback is that the support will get it later as I think it's 1 more rank down, and supports tend to level the slowest due to not getting kills unless you feed it.
#2peter_888Posted 3/14/2013 11:18:15 PM
shredder rocket

just for the fact that explosion damage is pretty much 100% hit.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#3Village IdiotPosted 3/15/2013 12:19:44 AM
Suppression for early game. Suppression helps keep your squad alive, especially if theres an enemy and your accurracy is too low to risk firing. Heavies unlock this at Lv2, whereas Supports don't unlock it till Lv4.

Shredder for mid-late game. The reason is because by now, you'll be encountering Cyberdisks/Sectopods and they really help in killing them. By now, your Supports should be leveled enough to unlock Suppression, and they require less ammo to use it than the Heavy. At this point, you would have bought Iron Will and would thus be re-training a new Heavy anyways .
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#4SeishoumaruPosted 3/15/2013 12:25:50 AM
I would say they are both equal. The heavy is the most balanced class, as in, apart from HEAT and Danger zone, you can mix and match all skills anyway you want.

As for me, I always pick suppression on my first heavy as it helps out greatly to capture aliens. Once I get a second or a replacement, I pick shredder rockets.

Contrary to popular belief, suppression + danger zone + mayhem is actually quite good. It's a mobile free long-distance AoE attack with 100% hit chance that debuffs the enemy. If you have heat, it deals up to 6 dmg on robotic enemies.

On impossible, if you only have one heavy, then you must have shredder rocket because they remove hard cap for robotic enemies (you'll be suffocating in Drones, of all things...). However anything other difficulty and both are equal, I use suppression more than shredder rockets on classic and below.
#5Darkman124Posted 3/15/2013 11:23:29 AM
I find that on classic I might have no more than 6 scientists for 2 months, if my council mission is cash-only.

As such, capturing is critical . Not really easy to capture anything without suppression.
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#6ChronoReversePosted 3/15/2013 12:22:18 PM
Not really. Even on Impossible it's not that big a deal.

For example, you will get Laser Rifles faster by going straight for them instead of going capture tech first. And you won't have to take risks while your soldiers are wimpy idiots with terrible aim if you went Lasers first since your troops will be stronger and better equipped to capture.
#7Darkman124Posted 3/15/2013 12:25:35 PM(edited)
Not really. Even on Impossible it's not that big a deal.

For example, you will get Laser Rifles faster by going straight for them instead of going capture tech first. And you won't have to take risks while your soldiers are wimpy idiots with terrible aim if you went Lasers first since your troops will be stronger and better equipped to capture.

you sure won't get precision lasers faster that way, though!

for me the hardest adjustment in classic has been the halving of engineering/scientist production from satellites.

i'm going 1-3-3-6 satellites, and it's pretty draining to have to take engineers so many times from mission rewards.

got lucky and had a 4-engineer trade for some scopes, which might have saved my effort.
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#8ChronoReversePosted 3/15/2013 1:51:58 PM
Thing is, in the short time gap between the two, you'll only encounter low level aliens that a regular sniper rifle is quite capable of handling anyway.

You won't have the money to outfit everyone yet so you're more efficient by equipping the guys with rifles with Laser Rifles. By the time you can pay for the Laser Snipers, you'll have the research done with either method.

Except you get the Laser Rifles earlier by beelining for them first. And you don't have to take the extreme risks of attempting to capture early in the game when it's hard enough just to win the mission (I'm still talking about Impossible).
#9SeishoumaruPosted 3/15/2013 2:27:21 PM
Yeah on impossible it's better to get shredder rockets, however on any lower difficulty you can seriously do whatever you want. I prefer suppression even with one heavy early on because it helps out with capturing aliens on ironman mode, because everyone here should know I like to do the alien base during the second month.