Potential Sequel/Expansion

#1SlightlySychoticPosted 3/23/2013 6:09:13 PM
http://kotaku.com/5992126/could-this-be-a-new-xcom-game-in-the-works

Didn't see this posted. It could just be DLC, of course, but even that would be welcome. :)
---
Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're a dog."
#2SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 3/23/2013 7:48:21 PM
Personally, I'm hoping for something along the lines of an old-school expansion pack. I wouldn't mind something that tacks onto the end of the existing campaign, carrying it on for a bit longer. Among other things, like a lot of fans of the original, I'd like to see the game, ultimately end up in Cydonia, and there's certainly no reason why they couldn't extend the campaign by tacking on a few more objectives. As long as they throw in a comparable increase in the number of alien types and technologies to research, something like that could be an amazing addition.
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#3Buddy_DacotePosted 3/24/2013 12:02:54 PM
I would rather have a remake of 'Terror from the deep' (that's also not a reskin) than a game focusing on outer space or cydonia or whatever.
#4SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 3/24/2013 1:53:34 PM
Who said "focusing." I said, ending. If they were smart, the bulk of the content would still be dealing with the threat on Earth.

As for TFTD, why? Never mind that the lead designer doesn't like the game enough to want to devote time making an updated version, so you can wish for it all you want; it ain't gonna happen ... not with Jake Solomon at the helm, anyway, and he's clearly actively involved in this project, whatever it is. TFTD was a rushed sequel that never really fit with the franchise. The original borrowed from all of the UFO and alien stories in pop culture. The Roswell Greys, cattle mutilations, flying saucers, crop circles, even the "faces" on Mars. TFTD borrowed from H. P. Lovecraft. If you want to make a game about a squad of human battling the elder gods, great, but it isn't XCOM, and it never should've been.
---
#5Buddy_DacotePosted 3/24/2013 3:19:49 PM
Why? Because TFTD can be different enough from normal XCOM to make it sufficiently distinct. The chtulhu mythos deals with cosmic monstrosities, so I don't get why you associate it more with underwater monsters. I like the idea of something monstrous lurking beneath the surface of the earth.

Also, lobstermen.
#6SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 3/24/2013 8:03:20 PM(edited)
Buddy_Dacote posted...
Why? Because TFTD can be different enough from normal XCOM to make it sufficiently distinct.

Distinct enough to be an entirely different game, so why not go that route, instead? You could do so much more with the Cthulhu mythos without the restrictions of the XCOM framework. In XCOM, there's no system for handling cults, magic, or even sanity. Why try to shoehorn the Cthulhu mythos into a system where it clearly doesn't fit, when it would work so much better as its own thing, giving you the freedom to model the necessary systems to do it right. (I'm not even a huge fan of Lovecraft, but I know if you're gonna do it, it needs a sanity system, and you can't just rebrand morale, because they aren't even remotely the same thing.)

The chtulhu mythos deals with cosmic monstrosities, so I don't get why you associate it more with underwater monsters.

1) You freely acknowledge that it's based on the Cthulhu mythos (i.e. the works of Lovecraft) and not UFO pop culture, like the original. How, on Earth, are they similar enough to be part of the same series?

2) I never said anything about associating the Cthulhu mythos more with underwater monsters.

3) The game was called "Terror from the Deep," not "Terror from the Cosmos," so guess where it would be coming from!

Also, lobstermen.

We're just not going to agree on that one, and I'd be arguing purely for the sake of arguing, so I'm going to let it go.

Lastly, the game came out in October! That was half a year ago, and they're already teasing this. If it was TFTD, it'd be a simple reskin (precisely what you don't want.). There's no way in hell they made a whole new game, with entirely new assets, in 6 months. That's more like 2 or 3 years down the line ... and they wouldn't be teasing it now. It isn't Call of Duty. There aren't multiple teams working on games so they can pump one out every year.

Dreams are all well and good, but let's be realistic, here! Whatever this new thing is, it isn't TFTD.
---
#7Buddy_DacotePosted 3/25/2013 1:36:23 AM
Jeez, man. I'm just saying that I'd rather want a new underwater based XCOM instead of something that has to do with space. I'm not trying to start a huge argument over this, so just chill out.

SpaceAgeSamurai posted...

1) You freely acknowledge that it's based on the Cthulhu mythos (i.e. the works of Lovecraft) and not UFO pop culture, like the original.

No, I didn't. In case it was unclear, I'll make it clear: Apart from a couple of obvious references, it didn't have much to with Lovecraft or Chtulhu.

How, on Earth, are they similar enough to be part of the same series?

Because the threat and monsters have to be similar in each XCOM game? XCOM is about defending the earth from an unknown, supernatural force. Too me, it doesn't matter if they come from outer space or below ground. And having them come from under water allows them too draw from different sources of inspiration than just having yet another outer space threat.

Remember that the original three XCOM games didn't feature the same threat twice, thy where all pretty different. I know TFTD was just a reskin, and I don't like it much, but I like the idea. I'm just saying what I'd like, I didn't expect you to go into full-on attack mode.
#8Darkman124Posted 3/25/2013 6:11:59 AM
I'd love to see a more full imagining of the geoscape with a lot more UFO attacks and potential to occasionally destroy them.
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#9SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 3/25/2013 2:51:12 PM
Buddy_Dacote posted...
Jeez, man. I'm just saying that I'd rather want a new underwater based XCOM instead of something that has to do with space. I'm not trying to start a huge argument over this, so just chill out.

Chill out? Just because I'm offering counter-arguments, that doesn't mean I'm raging, here. If I was genuinely getting upset about this, I'd have pressed the pointless argument over the Lobstermen, rather than simply letting it slide, just to rage a bit more. I'm not the slightest bit upset. I'm just presenting the facts as I see them.

No, I didn't. In case it was unclear, I'll make it clear: Apart from a couple of obvious references, it didn't have much to with Lovecraft or Chtulhu.

Then you seriously need to look again, because the game is riddled with them. The final mission alone has more than that. TFTD took its inspiration from Lovecraft in about the same way the first game took its inspiration from UFO mythology.

Because the threat and monsters have to be similar in each XCOM game? XCOM is about defending the earth from an unknown, supernatural force.

No, it was about defending the Earth from an unknown, extraterrestrial force. The first game was pure science fiction. You can't just jump to urban fantasy and horror. There's a reason there won't be any vampires in the next Star Trek movie (though, given the success of the Twilight movies, I'm sure some executive will have tried). We make genre distinctions for a reason.

Too me, it doesn't matter if they come from outer space or below ground. And having them come from under water allows them too draw from different sources of inspiration than just having yet another outer space threat.

Which, again, sounds like you'd want something other than XCOM ... which is fine. There's room for more than one TBS game in this world. XCOM, as a game, was designed to model the systems of an alien invasion. An Earth-born problem would require an entirely different approach, with entirely different systems, so it might as well be an entirely different game, altogether.

You could make a great game about containing and reversing a zombie apocalypse (though, zombies are, admittedly, more than a little overdone, right now), fending off an eldritch horror, or any number of other settings ... just not with the systems, as they exist, in XCOM. To do them justice, you'd need to model systems like contamination and sanity that simply don't have analogues in the existing system. You also wouldn't need satellites, to scan for the things. The existing mechanics are wholly inadequate for those other settings, but different mechanics would make it a different game, altogether.

Remember that the original three XCOM games didn't feature the same threat twice, thy where all pretty different. I know TFTD was just a reskin, and I don't like it much, but I like the idea. I'm just saying what I'd like, I didn't expect you to go into full-on attack mode.

First, as you said, TFTD was just a reskin of the original. Setting-wise, it hardly counts, since it was clearly a quick cash grab. The other 2 (the ones the Gollup brothers--or at least one of them--worked on) were both about fending off alien invasions. One was from outer space, the other was from an alternate dimension, but they were both firmly rooted in the sci-fi tradition. You didn't inexplicably bring supernatural forces into a setting that previously had none.
---
#10Buddy_DacotePosted 3/25/2013 3:48:12 PM
SpaceAgeSamurai posted...

Chill out? Just because I'm offering counter-arguments, that doesn't mean I'm raging,

Counter-argument against what? I'm not arguing a point, I'm just stating my santa wish list, really.
More topics from this board...
Psi questionLiger8188212/21 2:02PM