Best starting base location?

#11wickdawg01Posted 10/11/2012 3:14:56 PM
memphis12 posted...
Quote:I picked NA because Africa and a few of the others were all redded out. Do these unlock later in the game or something? If they are already unlocked why are they red?
@wickdawg01

They will not be red when you re start game not using tutorial.

Aghk! Really!? Well crap I have already put like 5 hours into the game....Oh well gives me something to look forward to my second time through.
---
Karma will come to your house and wreck up the place.
------TimEnchanter
#12haterstotheleftPosted 10/11/2012 6:05:37 PM
South America is especially useless, because you get the same starting bonus for a continent when you get full satellite coverage over it, and South America only has two countries you can put satellites over.
#13Mister_VanillaPosted 10/11/2012 6:20:20 PM
wickdawg01 posted...
memphis12 posted...
Quote:I picked NA because Africa and a few of the others were all redded out. Do these unlock later in the game or something? If they are already unlocked why are they red?
@wickdawg01

They will not be red when you re start game not using tutorial.

Aghk! Really!? Well crap I have already put like 5 hours into the game....Oh well gives me something to look forward to my second time through.

I made a topic about the tutorial earlier.

In short...its good to learn the ropes and all, but the tutorial really jacks the game up it seems. Go through it, sure, but restart without the tutorial IMHO.
#14crunchb3rryPosted 10/12/2012 5:05:30 PM
I'd go with North America only so you can get a discount bulking up your air defense/assault capability. For me, I'm at the point where I kinda forgot to spend some resources on that, and now I'm fearing the bigger ships are going to wipe my ass out once they show up.
#15BeefstakPosted 10/16/2012 6:53:20 PM
haterstotheleft posted...
South America is especially useless, because you get the same starting bonus for a continent when you get full satellite coverage over it, and South America only has two countries you can put satellites over.

I disagree South Americas bonus would be great early when autopsies take 7 days and you can use that time to do something else, NA and Africa only have 3 countries so following the same logic you can easily cover them in sats as the game advances and you will have a leg us on research without the wasted time researching and interrogating enemies.

Late game this is a silly one for sure but by then you can have the other countries covered...
#16Arcangel22Posted 10/16/2012 7:13:21 PM(edited)
Beefstak posted...

I disagree South Americas bonus would be great early when autopsies take 7 days and you can use that time to do something else, NA and Africa only have 3 countries so following the same logic you can easily cover them in sats as the game advances and you will have a leg us on research without the wasted time researching and interrogating enemies.

Late game this is a silly one for sure but by then you can have the other countries covered...

You see though, the other countries like NA, Africa and Europe are ALWAYS assisting you, no matter what. Asia and SA will eventually run out of their use, significantly down-selling their abilities especially when SA will even give you that bonus anyways if you donate satellites to them early. Which is possible with just one Satellite Uplink if you place it adjacent to the one you start with.
---
"We're not gang members. We're not criminals. We're just dudes playing video games." ~ Maximilian
#17KaneOfShadowsPosted 10/16/2012 7:14:55 PM
Don't forget that you can also gain a continent bonus from deploying sats on every country in a single continent, so decide what is more important to you in the short-run and what you can wait to pick up.

Personally, I go with EU because you can crank out Workshops and Labs from the get-go. Then I focus on filling Sats up in Africa for the funding increase.
#18BhelliumPosted 10/16/2012 7:45:48 PM(edited)
Europe's is the worst, imo. Other than that they all have their ups and downs, something to consider about SA is that if you get a bad set of abduction missions you can be forced into prioritizing the other continents for satellite aid. If nothing else ignoring a SA request only results in two countries gaining panic, other continents have up to four.

Then again I think your home base has lessened panic gain so there's that...

And Africa's gets better later on but N. America's and Asia's will actually get you more for your money in the beginning.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#19BeefstakPosted 10/16/2012 7:45:43 PM
Arcangel22 posted...
Beefstak posted...

You see though, the other countries like NA, Africa and Europe are ALWAYS assisting you, no matter what. Asia and SA will eventually run out of their use, significantly down-selling their abilities especially when SA will even give you that bonus anyways if you donate satellites to them early. Which is possible with just one Satellite Uplink if you place it adjacent to the one you start with.

That is exactly my point, NA Africa and Europe will ALWAYS give you those bonuses, so it doesnt matter when you get them, later or sooner. If you are going to start out popping up Sats then cover NA with your first 3 then go to Africa then to Europe, then you will get those bonuses when they are still usefull. SA is only usefull at the beginning before you have all the labs so getting it to start gives you a headstart on other research.

Too each their own, I am just saying I think if you aren't going to get SA at the get go then don't bother getting it till last because after you get extra labs/scientists and its 1 day for these anyway.

Same goes for Asia only to a lesser extent because I just think that there bonus is stupid. ;p
#20SparkItUpPosted 10/16/2012 7:47:55 PM
Arcangel22 posted...
Beefstak posted...

Thing is...you should have satellites over Africa & Europe by the time the use of SA runs out...At least with the SA bonus, you can get access to certain equipment & weaponry quite a bit sooner. then you can at least start kicking ass & taking names with a strike force that has top tier weaponry and their ranks can be upgraded a bit easier & quicker.

SA's bonus gets overlooked as inconsequential, but in general, it's probably better than that of the NA & Asia.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMaycNcPsHI Carve your name into my arm.Instead of stressed,I lie here charmed.Cuz theres nothing else to do.Every you,every me