How do i get a new rocket launcher? SPOILERS

#1jon davisPosted 10/15/2012 3:33:48 AM
My heavy still has the original launcher at Col rank, and im about to storm the alien base ( which i assume to be the final mission?)
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#2IonizerPosted 10/15/2012 3:39:13 AM
The alien base after you zapped an Outsider and got a crystal? That's not the end. I'm right after that and it seems to actually be closer to the mid-point of the story. I think you get the better rockets after a certain research, not ranking up. I'm not sure when you get access to that research, but I think I heard something about gigantic "Battleship-Class" UFOs that have really good research-able artifacts.
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#3jon davis(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2012 3:44:33 AM
Yeah that base....

How do you take down a battle cruiser anyway? My aircraft look like flies buzzing around them!
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#4IonizerPosted 10/15/2012 4:03:00 AM
You eventually can make an improved fighter, and you can also get improved interceptor weapons. The single use modules (Boost, Dodge, Aim) might help before you get Firestorms sporting Plasma Cannons and/or EMPs, though.
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#5jon davis(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2012 4:17:58 AM
Ionizer posted...
You eventually can make an improved fighter, and you can also get improved interceptor weapons. The single use modules (Boost, Dodge, Aim) might help before you get Firestorms sporting Plasma Cannons and/or EMPs, though.

Oh yeah the Firestorm! I researched that last night and forgot to build one.

Also, when you upgrade the scope and med kit do they just upgrade the ones you own or do you need to buy a new upgraded scope/kit?
---
#6UllyonPosted 10/15/2012 5:29:45 AM
It's automatic. No need to rebuy the items.
#7RJDoutePosted 10/15/2012 8:32:38 AM
You'll need a fusion core from a battleship class large UFO. Go ahead and do the alien base mission, you've got a ways to go until the end.
#8Talon5967Posted 10/15/2012 9:23:13 AM
The game can be broken up into more or less three acts, and the base assault is the end of the first act.

*Additional Spoiler*

The end of the second act is when you take the overseer ship, and the third runs up to the end of the game.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Gamertag: Talon Omega
#9RJDoutePosted 10/19/2012 8:24:25 AM
Just thought I'd bump this with new info for everyone. I'm on my classic ironman playthrough and have yet to see a battleship class UFO. I have 8 psionic colonels and just need that damn rocket launcher. If you're having a similar issue here's the solution:

Wait for a large scout UFO to appear. You should have the Hyperwave Relay by this point for full info on the UFO, but you may not need it to see ship class information. Anyway, once you find a LARGE SCOUT class UFO, just ignore it. You may see a teeny bit of panic increase (although I saw none) and immediately after it goes away, a battleship will appear for the taking.

So there you go! Whoop that mission and the fusion core is all yours. :-)

Ryan