Best starting continent bonus for Classic?

#1BhelliumPosted 10/15/2012 10:57:24 PM(edited)
In your opinion - Results (330 votes)
Africa
32.42% (107 votes)
Asia
23.03% (76 votes)
Europe
16.67% (55 votes)
N. America
20.3% (67 votes)
S. America
7.58% (25 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Going with N. America myself. Air coverage is very important at the start, if you miss some UFOs you're boned resource wise. You also get the best starting credit contribution I believe.

Africa is fantastic... mid-late game. You'd actually save more from Asia's bonus at the start. Well, I would, but I love me some Foundry and OTS.

Europe... is fantastically bad now that I look at it, though it was my first pick based off the original. If you really want a research boost take S. America, autopsies/interrogations seem quick individually but are a substantial portion of your research time when all is said and done.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#2NukSooALPosted 10/17/2012 10:57:52 AM
idk europe or asia seem the best to me.two satellites will get you samericas bonus 3 gets you americas or africas but you need 4 for asia or europe.not to mention knocking continents out really helps mange panic since you no longer will receive any abduction missions there
---
GT: Nuk Soo AL/PSN Nuk_Soo_AL
#3d1sPosted 10/17/2012 11:25:44 AM
Bhellium posted...
Europe... is fantastically bad now that I look at it, though it was my first pick based off the original. If you really want a research boost take S. America, autopsies/interrogations seem quick individually but are a substantial portion of your research time when all is said and done.

Once all interrogations and autopsies are done, SA is useless. Europe's bonus continues for as long as you play the game.
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#4nesrtkfanPosted 10/17/2012 8:05:42 PM
d1s posted...
Once all interrogations and autopsies are done, SA is useless. Europe's bonus continues for as long as you play the game.

that's true, but to get all those interrogations and autopsies done takes time, unless you have the SA bonus, and the research is instant
#5The DeadpoolPosted 10/17/2012 8:51:23 PM
Sectoid, Thin Man and Floaters take about 7 days to Interrogate and Autopsy EACH. That's over a month of research. That's Laser Weapons a month early.

South America's bonus is AWESOME early on.

I just don't have enough cash for Foundry upgrades early on, and I only ever get 2 Workshops the whole GAME (and no Labs), so Europe and Asia don't do much for me.

Cheap Interceptors ARE nice, but the bonus for North America doesn't kick in for REAL until Firestorm comes out honestly.

It's Africa vs. South America for me honestly. If I don't go South America, it's invariably the first place I send Sats too, and that can ruin the panic management early on... On the other hand, it IS the easiest bonus to grab via Sats...
---
Being single is a balance between loneliness and happiness. You're lonely right before going to sleep and happy the rest of the day...
#6Bhellium(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2012 9:04:53 PM(edited)
Disclaimer: I never build labs or workshops, thus my dislike of Europe's bonus. They seem pretty worthless to me, in terms of resources to benefit.

Of course those extra scientists per month really stack up by the end. That's actually one of the hidden benefits to NA/EU/Asia, fantastic hidden boosts to your costs and research time.

And someone did hit me in the head with some math in another topic, he tallied up the credit savings/earnings between NA and Africa and showed pretty conclusively that Africa is (slightly) better, if you nab America or Russia with your first satellite. He didn't take into account the better scientist/engineer earnings you can get with the bigger continents but that's a hard one to value.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#7BrokenTuskPosted 10/17/2012 11:41:18 PM
i would say Europe or Asia but leaning more towards Asia for two reasons:
1. EU or Asia need 4 sats each so that's less sat you need to spend to get a Continent bonus.
2. OTS price reduction right away, which is great because idk about you but i try and get my squad size up and get wet works and the reduced healing time one asap.
---
HK-47: Can I break his neck now master? It's been a long time fantasy of mine. You: Maybe later..
HK-47: Did you hear that meatbag? "I'LL BE BACK!"