Ufopaedia's beginner page was updated today.

#1darth48076Posted 10/22/2012 7:22:32 AM
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Beginner_Guide

There's some really good info in there, even break down how to build your classes right.

FYI...
---
The Real Gamer Show * Fighters Fury * The Fighters Alliance
#2Mean_TreePosted 10/23/2012 9:01:03 AM
Bump.

Reading through this gave me some good ideas, want it to be seen again.
---
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1045/meantree.png - Thank you, Eulu.
#3nesrtkfanPosted 10/23/2012 9:24:25 AM
good read
#4darth48076(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 10:34:48 AM
Yeah. It answer some questions I had about certain abilities and I didnt want to waste a trooper to try them out. That guide helps out a lot.
---
#5PooPooPartyPosted 10/23/2012 11:49:29 AM
He's got some good points but there are some I totally disagree with. Mostly its his heavy build. Holo-targeting, suppression, and mayhem are junk skills? I don't think so. Sure, you want to have a straight up damage dealing blowing s*** up heavy, but a suppressing heavy with targeting should not be blown off.

The argument that he makes about having a higher chance to connect with more shots as a bullet swarm heavy doesn't mean dick if said heavy is out of position. Even with two shots, its unlikely he's going to make them with a 20% to hit. At a moment like that, the swarming heavy has very limited options. Waste two shots, waste a shot and move, or use your very limited supply of explosives (which is not always ideal if you need resources).

The support heavy out of position, on the other hand, can still be effective. You can take the low % shot and activate targeting whether you hit or miss. The +10 accuracy for the rest of your squad can mean all the difference in a life or death fight against a difficult opponent. If you instead choose to suppress, you add targeting, cancel that enemy's overwatch, and auto damage (with mayhem) allowing your squad to close in for an easier kill.

Basically make both builds.

And a support medic build that doesn't take revive or savior is a waste in my opinion.

Otherwise a decent beginner's guide for more aggressive players.
#6EdalborezPosted 10/23/2012 12:01:06 PM(edited)
PooPooParty posted...
And a support medic build that doesn't take revive or savior is a waste in my opinion

At a certain point, I'd argue that expecting to need a revive or bigger heal is bad planning. Suppression and Sentinel offer tools to help prevent the damage from occurring in the first place.

I might take Savior, but never Revive.
#7darth48076(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 11:56:45 AM
PooPooParty posted...
And a support medic build that doesn't take revive or savior is a waste in my opinion.

IKR!???! I read that and that was the only part I disagreed with.
---
#8PooPooPartyPosted 10/23/2012 12:03:09 PM
Edalborez posted...
PooPooParty posted...
And a support medic build that doesn't take revive or savior is a waste in my opinion

At a certain point, I'd argue that expecting to need a revive or bigger heal is bad planning. Suppression and Sentinel offer tools to help prevent the damage from occurring in the first place.

Just my personal opinion. I've witnessed all the sound planning I could muster go to s*** with a crap round, and on ironman I want to make sure everyone makes it home. One lucky hit for the enemy can really turn the tide of the battle, especially late game vs. sectopods and other hard hitters.
#9thebigknowltinoPosted 10/23/2012 12:18:01 PM
Yeah, I've found holotargeting to be quite useful. And while I understand and respect the "take the skills to avoid your people getting critically wounded in the first place" argument, I like having revive just in case I mess up.
#10darth48076(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 12:40:18 PM
thebigknowltino posted...
And while I understand and respect the "take the skills to avoid your people getting critically wounded in the first place" argument, I like having revive just in case I mess up.

In the words of Burt Gummer;

"When you need it, and don't have it... you sing a different tune. "
---