How the heck do you play Madden 13's career mode?

#1icewolf74Posted 10/20/2012 10:35:19 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to play Madden 13's career mode for the past 2 days but this is so complicated. I've played past Madden football games in the past and never had a problem with career modes before. Any Madden Vets have any advice on how to play this? I've even tried both online and offline careers.

I've created a character. Go to the first practice session, play through it, then start the first preseason game and only get two sets of downs before I am being substituted back for the team's original QB where it is just sim'd by the computer for the rest of the game. My character never gets to complete a game. I know I must be doing something wrong here but I cannot figure out what. I am tired of playing through practice sessions and want to actually play a game all the way through. This just keeps happening over and over again.

I've pretty much accepted that during career mode I can only control my created character and not the other players on my team during a game. I've even accepted that I cannot play defense if I have an offensive created character, but instead have to sim through it. However, I would love to be able to finish a game playing the entire time instead of only playing a couple of set of downs and then being replaced by the computer and then the rest of the game is simulated.

Damn EA. Why did they go and make this game all complicated for us casual football gamers compared to even Madden 11?
---
My current top 3 PS3 Games: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Resident Evil 6, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
#2JPZetrickPosted 10/20/2012 12:46:45 PM(edited)
This can be caused by several of possible and reasonable reasons.

Firstly, when you first start a new career there is an option for your player to be the starter for your team regardless of overall rating. If you do not turn this option on then you will probably be benched because your overall is not better than another player's.

Another possibility is that you are playing a preseason game. In preseason games, like in the real life NFL, starters only play the first quarter or even just the few first drives. After that they are benched because the coach would not want to unnecessarily injure an important player of the team. In this game for all players (starters and bench players) it is impossible to play a full preseason game.
---
"...Before I could, they hit me on the hod, and I pissed out." - Officer Crabtree
#3icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2012 12:51:29 PM(edited)
Ahhh...okay. I will admit that I have yet to play a regular season game since I keep restarting my career after the first preseason game thinking i've done something wrong. So maybe my created player will get to play a full game in a regular season game. lol

Thanks for your help. Everything you said makes complete sense.

One more question: Is it possible to control the other players on a team or be able to play both sides of the ball? Not that it matters, because it does kind of make me feel like I am playing in a real football game controlling only my character's designated position and leaving everything else up to the other players. I do like to control the ball carrier though. I am just curious, though. =)
---
My current top 3 PS3 Games: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Resident Evil 6, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
#4JPZetrickPosted 10/20/2012 12:57:54 PM
icewolf74 posted...
One more question: Is it possible to control the other players on a team or be able to play both sides of the ball? Not that it matters, because it does kind of make me feel like I am playing in a real football game controlling only my character's designated position and leaving everything else up to the other players. I do like to control the ball carrier though. I am just curious, though. =)

In a player's connected career mode you can only play as one player. If your player is on offense then all defensive plays will be simulated by the computer. It's the same vice versa.

In a coach's connected career you control the entire team.
---
"...Before I could, they hit me on the hod, and I pissed out." - Officer Crabtree
#5joker4life2008Posted 10/20/2012 5:13:55 PM
But if you have a qb career you can audible the plays and hot routes ect
#6bigpaganoPosted 10/21/2012 8:47:36 AM
icewolf74 posted...
Ahhh...okay. I will admit that I have yet to play a regular season game since I keep restarting my career after the first preseason game thinking i've done something wrong. So maybe my created player will get to play a full game in a regular season game. lol

there is all sorts of fail in that statement....
#7DeanToskicPosted 10/21/2012 8:33:03 PM
JPZetrick posted...

Firstly, when you first start a new career there is an option for your player to be the starter for your team regardless of overall rating.

Oh? I've never seen this option. Where is it?
#8BallPlayer222Posted 10/21/2012 10:39:12 PM
DeanToskic posted...
JPZetrick posted...

Firstly, when you first start a new career there is an option for your player to be the starter for your team regardless of overall rating.

Oh? I've never seen this option. Where is it?

Its the very first thing at the very top of the settings when you make your guy. The very first setting.
---
SF GIANTS
#9BallPlayer222Posted 10/21/2012 10:39:42 PM
And its on by default, so you must be turning it off when you make your guy.
---
SF GIANTS
#10DeanToskicPosted 10/22/2012 7:47:49 AM
Interesting. I have to see when I get home.