Do players develop if benched?

#1CocoCostanzaPosted 9/30/2012 10:25:25 PM
Or do they only develop (gain xp) if they are on the field?

If the latter is the case, that's pretty unrealistic if you have a superstar development QB or DB who never progresses unless he sees playing time. In the real world, especially for QB's, they benefit from the experience outside of actual regular season playtime and become better players through practicing, training and observing at the NFL level.
---
Check out the BEST Podcast EVER - www.adamcarolla.com or on iTunes - The Adam Carolla Podcast
http://oi53.tinypic.com/5jz7ms.jpg
#2Willster328Posted 10/1/2012 7:27:17 PM
Pretty sure it goes by stats. That even IF a player is on the field, if they don't reach their "personal" goals to gain experience, they don't gain experience, at least this is what I've found so far. For instance, you might have a DE that doesnt get many sacks or tackles, so he doesnt meet his "personal goals" thus he doesnt gain the experience. It's pretty awful.

Especially in Coach Superstar mode over the course of the career. For instance, I play as the Patriots, and Brady played for another 5-6 years, and I had Mallett backing him up, and in those 6 years, Mallet's overall did not change one bit nor did he receive any experience. So when Brady retired, I was left with a Ryan Mallett with a 70 overall rating (from what I can remember). So it sucks pretty bad.
#3bigpaganoPosted 10/1/2012 10:31:04 PM
yeah um no. Quarterbacks these days are starters from day one. Ryan, Flacco, Dalton, Newton, Luck, RG3. All you get from bench warming is learning the playbook and working on mechanics ... but on field experience is much more valuable.
#4CocoCostanza(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:15:45 PM
Not all players start from day one. Especially when they aren't an early round pick. But they DEFINITELY develop. Not by sitting on the bench, but experience through practicing at an NFL level. You think players develop their skills on Sundays? They are training and practicing 4-5 days a week. Willster is right, it's ridiculous that players only develop when playing in games, and when achieving goals. A player can play a whole game and not even develop if he isn't producing real stats.
---
Check out the BEST Podcast EVER - www.adamcarolla.com or on iTunes - The Adam Carolla Podcast
http://oi53.tinypic.com/5jz7ms.jpg
#5josefreesPosted 10/4/2012 6:32:41 PM
What I'd you start them in practice and do player xp practices?
#6Tylerh550Posted 10/4/2012 6:39:42 PM
bigpagano posted...
yeah um no. Quarterbacks these days are starters from day one. Ryan, Flacco, Dalton, Newton, Luck, RG3. All you get from bench warming is learning the playbook and working on mechanics ... but on field experience is much more valuable.

Aaron Rodgers would like to speak to you....
---
GT: TYSPLOSION
#7GandalfTehGrayPosted 10/4/2012 7:35:44 PM
Tylerh550 posted...
bigpagano posted...

+1
---
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." R.I.P Beleniel91
#8qbofthefuturePosted 10/5/2012 4:50:22 AM
bigpagano posted...

All those teams needed qbs (with exeption of luck and rg3) if they had a franchise qb when they were all drafted then they probably wouldn't have started day 1.

Qbs like rodgers sat behind farve for if I'm not mistaken 3 years before starting. In fact most 1st round qbs usually start day 1 nowadays because teams wait till they decide that the want to change the direction of the team or he retires.
---
This won't change until the Cowboys win the superbowl!
#9BaseballtitanPosted 10/5/2012 2:57:47 PM
Locker was like the 8th overall pick just a couple years ago and he sat the bench his whole rookie season. Not everyone goes right into starting as a rookie. It wasn't until Flacco and Ryan that rookie qbs ever were really successful in the NFL. Wasn't Peyton Manning abysmal his rookie year?
---
I will refrain from changing this sig until Mike Trout wins his first MVP award.
Gt: MannkinD - PSN: A0Tone
#10demonicvirusPosted 10/5/2012 3:20:37 PM
GandalfTehGray posted...
Tylerh550 posted...
bigpagano posted...

+1

+2
---
infecting your computers and or stomachs
-demonicvirus