Schemes: Do they REALLY matter in this game?

#1SteelPunk808Posted 10/11/2012 4:23:28 PM
Ok so when custom rosters hits on Tuesday, I'm hoing to experiment some different things with different players. On defense, does it make a difference if you put a D Lineman from a 3-4 scheme and put him on a 4-3 team? Does it affect progression and game performance or are these schemes just made for someone super anal about finding the "right guys to fit them" ?
#2feedmeacidPosted 10/11/2012 6:11:36 PM
believe it or not they actually do. i signed brandon marshall in FA my fourth year in CC. his player type is red zone threat but I had him as balanced thru most of the season. he never made great catches, wouldn't jump for jump balls and dropped way too many passes for a 93 OVR. so I switched him from balanced to red zone and all of the sudden hes beastin it up and down the field. I experimented with other positions and found that higher overall players tend to perform better with the correct scheming. it doesn't seem to make a big change with lower rated players but I could be wrong so don't quote me :)
thats just my personal observation, hope it helps.
---
Currently Playing: Madden 13 (X360), GTA IV (X360), Landstalker (Genesis), Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) -updated 10-7-12-
#3PatrickWillis52Posted 10/11/2012 9:02:55 PM
Haven't seen a huge difference really to tell you the truth, i got lemarcus sands Dt with 80 speed and 95 strength in my defense and he's a 4-3 lineman in my 3-4, he does alright for himself. mainly got him tho so when i do my runs with the DT in the backfield he is able to get in the second lvl with that 80 speed and flatten whoever comes up with that 95 str
---
On the road to 1100 total
#4bigpaganoPosted 10/11/2012 9:26:05 PM
fyi there is a huge difference between a 4-3 and 3-4 defensive end. John Abraham and Haloti Ngata both play defensive end and they are two completely different players.
#5SteelPunk808(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 10:26:24 PM
bigpagano posted...
fyi there is a huge difference between a 4-3 and 3-4 defensive end. John Abraham and Haloti Ngata both play defensive end and they are two completely different players.

Ok but if I wanted a powerful 3-4 end like Ngata or JJ Watt, how well would they play in a 4-3 defense built to stop the run?
#6IlluminatusCUPosted 10/11/2012 10:53:17 PM
SteelPunk808 posted...
bigpagano posted...

Ok but if I wanted a powerful 3-4 end like Ngata or JJ Watt, how well would they play in a 4-3 defense built to stop the run?

IRL they'd likely be DTs. I dunno if the game is smart enough to make that connection though.
---
NFLB's #1 Buffalo Bills fan.
#7bigpaganoPosted 10/11/2012 11:09:36 PM
IlluminatusCU posted...
SteelPunk808 posted...
bigpagano posted...

IRL they'd likely be DTs. I dunno if the game is smart enough to make that connection though.

no, Watt played de in college. not all 3-4 defensive ends are natural defensive tackle.
#8bigpaganoPosted 10/11/2012 11:10:57 PM
SteelPunk808 posted...
bigpagano posted...

JJ Watt would still dominate since he can lead the league in sacks while playing a position that doesn't put up great sack numbers.
#9SteelPunk808(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 11:35:50 PM
Yeah I was thinking of a 4-3 Base set built of Dlineman that just bulldoze through the Oline.
#10ASTRO_JAXPosted 10/12/2012 7:38:45 AM
scheme does nothing in the game. Check the depth chart and it will show their true overall. Scheme is for looking for players who have the attributes that you want quickly. For example if i want to search for a big physical DE i have to look at his stats like strength block shed tackle etc etc. Now you can change the scheme and the overall of the player will reflect these stats for you.
---
GT: Maverick AR