Extra block generation (spoiler)

#1PanzerscrapPosted 2/5/2013 7:46:26 PM
Could be a major puzzle spoiler. I played the game for several hours straight the day it was released, had a busy weekend and came back to, but somehow lost track of where I was supposed to be. I wandered around for a bit, aimlessly repeating puzzles, and looked online to see if there was something on the map that would indicate my next direction.

What I accidentally found: you can create a 9th block by "drawing" a hollow square of 8 blocks. It automatically fills itself in, allowing you to create infinite ammo as long as you have access to at least 8 blocks. Its actually a key to a few puzzles.

My question is: for those of you past the point of knowing this, is there any indication in the game that this is possible? Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, given that I don't think I would ever would have come upon this on my own. Its not a logical implication, its entirely random.
#2riff429Posted 2/5/2013 8:51:33 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3riff429Posted 2/5/2013 8:55:58 PM
I don't remember as I had been awake for 5 days by the time I beat it, however, I'm pretty sure it's pointed out to you. I could be wrong.

I think you just see it happen during certain puzzles. Bah I don't remember. I wasn't kidding. Five days.
#4Panzerscrap(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:23:26 PM
riff429 posted...
I don't remember as I had been awake for 5 days by the time I beat it, however, I'm pretty sure it's pointed out to you. I could be wrong.

I think you just see it happen during certain puzzles. Bah I don't remember. I wasn't kidding. Five days.

As a night shift guy, I feel your pain. Battling insomnia has always been an issue. 5 days is a rough clip.

Yea, I hope it was pointed out in some way. I don't mind missing a detail. I just can't stand a game that relies on complete randomness.
#5ZazcallabahPosted 2/6/2013 1:16:55 AM
I found out when trying to get past the green blocks barring the entry to Deja Vu from Strength in Numbers. I'm still not quite sure what the 'correct' way to get past those are, I just filled in the whole doorway with green blocks and brute forced my way past.
---
SiSoft Sandra Mainboard Information Module, Warning #2508:
All memory slots are full. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.
#6UltraBeefPosted 2/6/2013 1:42:41 AM
I wouldn't be too sure that the game points this out, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't. This is actually the one thing I completely missed in the entire game and had to look up somewhere else, and I was completed baffled why this wasn't explained anywhere.

Not to mention as soon as you get the green gun atleast 3 puzzles immediately assume the player knows about this..
---
If you know what I mean.
#7riff429Posted 2/6/2013 4:49:49 AM
Panzerscrap posted...

As a night shift guy, I feel your pain. Battling insomnia has always been an issue. 5 days is a rough clip.

Yea, I hope it was pointed out in some way. I don't mind missing a detail. I just can't stand a game that relies on complete randomness.

I in turn feel YOUR pain, but truth be told I did it on purpose. Also, not working any kind of shift currently.
#8riff429Posted 2/6/2013 4:52:55 AM
UltraBeef posted...
I wouldn't be too sure that the game points this out, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't. This is actually the one thing I completely missed in the entire game and had to look up somewhere else, and I was completed baffled why this wasn't explained anywhere.

Not to mention as soon as you get the green gun atleast 3 puzzles immediately assume the player knows about this..

You know that sounds kind of familiar too. I may have looked it up, I don't remember. Not surprising since I've been awake for 47 hours as of 8am. I think. Haven't lost math just yet.
#9ZylotPosted 2/6/2013 7:28:32 AM
It is pointed out, there's SPOILERS!!! a mission with an incomplete square which you can collect, and on the opposite wall a smallser square, which if you place all the blocks there, it'll fill as you now expect. The next puzzle in the series doesn't have the smaller square, and expects you to figure out that you can place the blocks anywhere and get the same results.

It's the puzzle across the hall from "too many lasers" which also relies on the solution (the puzzle chain eventually ends as you need the red gun to progress further, but then too many lasers is staring you in the face and you say "Aha, I got you now".
---
Current Games: Radiant Silvergun (XBLA), Dark Souls, Skyrim, El Shaddai
#10riff429Posted 2/6/2013 8:53:20 AM(edited)
Sounds like I was right either way, muahaha.

Oh, and Panzerscrap, you actually only need 2 blocks for infinite blocks, but that's specifically with the red gun's attributes. Maybe it was 3 blocks. I think I don't remember right now.