Someone should do a fan translation for these two games

#11_-LaRe-_Posted 2/13/2012 7:08:17 AM
It's sad people don't realize what they are asking for. It takes a lot of work but you don't mind waiting? You're asking someone to spend months, maybe even years, of their free time on translating everything you want. For free. You're also forgetting inserting the translation into the game isn't just some copy-paste job you can do in 5 minutes.

It's like a little boy asking a real space shuttle for their birthday present. Do you know how much more reasonable this request would be if you were offering money or starting a fundraising for someone to work the translation plus hacking & editing. Even taking care of the hacking & editing part alone would probably spark enough interest to have the script eventually translated.

To be honest you'd be best learning the language by yourself and showing us all years later by translating the games by yourself. Three alphabets? Very confusing? I bet you could name 50 SRW related mecha, maybe even over 100, by seeing their sprite or maybe silhouette alone. You know that's a harder task than learning all Kana and the basic Kanji.
#12AltairionPosted 2/13/2012 7:39:28 AM
To be fair SRW uses some weird kanji sometimes. Basic kanji would probably get you through... I don't know, battle quotes? That's it?
---
#13Z_AyatoPosted 2/13/2012 7:48:18 AM
I partially blame gundam and other real robot series for the weird kanji. Since all of those shows use the japanese rank system for the military and each rank has its own kanji.
---
The official Michel Blanc and VF-25G of the Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen
#14AltairionPosted 2/13/2012 9:55:27 AM
Yeah, exactly. And some of the scientific terms get a little weird too.
---
#15ShinDeathwindPosted 2/13/2012 10:00:32 AM
RetsuxD posted...
You know I seriously hope this doesn't turn out the same way as a similar thread to this there was on /m/...

Hey, the /m/ thread got something started in amongst all the drama, mudslinging and honey badgers!
#16RetsuxDPosted 2/13/2012 12:07:19 PM
ShinDeathwind posted...
RetsuxD posted...
You know I seriously hope this doesn't turn out the same way as a similar thread to this there was on /m/...

Hey, the /m/ thread got something started in amongst all the drama, mudslinging and honey badgers!

Well, it didn't do that much, it only got us info from an undergoing @ translation, and some random anon tried to translate the script from W's first stage and-

GODAMMIT IT'S BACK AGAIN
http://boards.4chan.org/m/res/7408510
#17ShinDeathwindPosted 2/13/2012 12:15:51 PM
RetsuxD posted...
ShinDeathwind posted...
RetsuxD posted...

Well, it didn't do that much, it only got us info from an undergoing @ translation, and some random anon tried to translate the script from W's first stage and-

GODAMMIT IT'S BACK AGAIN
http://boards.4chan.org/m/res/7408510

Hey, it's better than nothing.

If we don't see the old OP in the new translations thread I will be very happy though. I'd help the cause, but I know pretty much no Japanese.
#18LordEmbokPosted 2/13/2012 12:39:09 PM

They shouldnt give up though or at the very least just network better

I only say this cause I see other games way less popular being translated (Girlish Love Revolution, Love Plus, Bahamut Lagoon, Saga 2 & 3, Tokimeki memorial Girls Side, Duel Love etc) these are all completed or close to completed projects. Text heavy too.
Yes one can try to learn Japanese but really if we have this many fans worldwide I just think its possible to gather people to work on said projects. I see a full translated script for Alpha 2 just on this site for example.
So far we got SRW 3, J, Alpha Gaiden. In other games, theres Front Mission 5, Namco X Capcom, Jump Ultimate Stars; those people didnt give up.
I would learn to hack myself but I'm just not good at it I've tried and this language has three alphabets making it very confusing.
I just the think the community should be able to get together and put their minds and strengths together to do this. Its possible at the very least since we got those other games translated.
When people give up its cause it takes so much time since they tackle the work usually by themselves with one or two translators and hackers. The guy working on Archaic Sealed Heat lost all his data on his MA USB stick didnt even back it up. Im just saying where theres a will and a huge fanbase theres a way

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lau5H0z7wz8/TdYqsLUkqRI/AAAAAAAAAAw/vGaW5zqxjvo/s1600/mazinger-z-team.jpg

I realize you're the OP from the previous thread and probably not worth acknowledging, but the 'three alphabets' thing isn't even remotely confusing. That you think it is shows you haven't even put in the tiniest amount of effort to learn the language. As such, I highly doubt you've tried to learn to hack either.
#19blind51dePosted 2/13/2012 2:38:48 PM
Shut up.
Lurk more.
Stop posting on /m/.
---
I used to have a sig. But I got purged and used my sig and quote for a plea to the admins.
So I'll think of something later.
#20Gatchan2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2012 2:42:11 PM
LordEmbok posted...

Maybe confusing is a bad term but time consuming. There's so many Kanji characters and then you have to learn Hiriganana and Katakan...its very daunting compared to other languages. So yeah you have to learn three alphabets as opposed to one in other languages and learn the spoken language.
And unless I practice it verbally with people around me it'll never come to me 2nd nature thats just how some people are.

| _-LaRe-_ | Posted
It's sad people don't realize what they are asking for. It takes a lot of work but you don't mind waiting? You're asking someone to spend months, maybe even years, of their free time on translating everything you want. For free. You're also forgetting inserting the translation into the game isn't just some copy-paste job you can do in 5 minutes.

It's like a little boy asking a real space shuttle for their birthday present. Do you know how much more reasonable this request would be if you were offering money or starting a fundraising for someone to work the translation plus hacking & editing. Even taking care of the hacking & editing part alone would probably spark enough interest to have the script eventually translated.

To be honest you'd be best learning the language by yourself and showing us all years later by translating the games by yourself. Three alphabets? Very confusing? I bet you could name 50 SRW related mecha, maybe even over 100, by seeing their sprite or maybe silhouette alone. You know that's a harder task than learning all Kana and the basic Kanji.

You seem to think translations are all done by one person. Yeah maybe some, but take that Tokimeki Memorial one I used as an example:
It was started Jan 2011 and finished Dec 2011 and had a staff of 30 translators and editors as well as an additional 50 beta testers.
This is all because they were a close nit community that had a passion and desire for the game series they loved and wanted more people to appreciate it.

Thats my point.

SRW 3, J, @ Gaiden, however small it may be, have somewhat helped bring in even more SRW fans.
There's a ton of potential SRW fans out there but the language barrier puts them off.

If you guys know the language and are so passionate about the series, why be such closed door elitist and selfish about it; the more you spread the word of SRW the better it is for everyone. The bigger the fanbase grows the more it will be known. The more it will be known, the more the developers will see that there is a market overseas for this series and at the least we could get some games over here.

Look at Tatsunoko vs Capcom; over half of the Tatsunoko roster people in the West barely heard of and there were multiple license nightmare situations that they were able to overcome because the fanbase demanded it.

You guys with your "oh just learn Japanese" holier than thou attitude is never going to get the fanbase ahead.
In a gaming genre where mecha games and 2D is on the decline, globalization is a key point that could help push it out from extinction.
Look at how long SRW OG is taking to make and barely any marketing. That game as it's PS2 predessor, should easily have been made available to the West (since there's no licensing 'issues'), but Bamco doesn't want to take the risk, and you fans don't ask for it anyway.
We even got a girls Otome game to be localized for the PSP for crying out loud.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves for calling yourselves true fans.
Sure I can learn Japanese but that only helps me. I've mailed Bamco and Banpresto letters to get the games to come here. I've made the phone calls. But I'm only one person.
So stop being selfish and come together as a community and help everyone out.
How the heck can a girls VN game be able to do it and you guys cant. Thats sad.
More topics from this board...
Best skill set for Chirico?dogboy66/30 3:36PM