I wish SWR had more strategy

#1ZenkreetPosted 5/20/2012 4:01:17 PM
I don't know about other SRWs, but I felt SRWZ2 lacked real strategy.

Most of time, missions are completed through mindless rampage. Supers have crazy armor and Reals are nearly untouchable. Units that can only heal aren't needed anymore as some others are both healers and good attackers (Tetsujin, Gunleon, Brasta Es). So you don't have to look out for weak units since all units, except for motherships maybe, can take care of themselves. Honestly Boss Borot is more used because people like it than because it can recharge energy.

I wish they made more restrictions to make players think more before acting and manage their units rather than outright send them to perform mass murder. I'm not talking about increasing enemies' stats, IIRC the hard mode does that. I'm thinking more about changing some mechanics. For example, flying in the air would cost more energy than walking so you'd think of having a walk once in a while (some of my units never touched the ground).
I wish also there were more missions where you are forced to advance through water. Geo effects aren't as annoying as they should be, except for rocky areas in space but those are rare cases. Geography should be more decisive, we know how it's important in war. Something like luring enemies out of a city, if they attack inside it building are destroyed, civilians die and it's game over for you.

I wish I had to think carefully about where to place my units. Like doing a specific formation to protect some units. Like a mission where you are surrounded by enemies and there's no point in moving.
In Z2 I just advance as far as I can and that's it, there's never a wrong place to place a unit.
That being said, I loved when the rook adamon shot my units and I found myself unable to do something about it unless I kill it. I also loved the missiles from Shin Mazinger that explode in your face if you don't defeat them first. I wish there were more things like that.

And one more thing : why don't they bring back the mini-mission mode in D ? It's where you had to go through a lot of thinking and trial&error before finding the right way to accomplish a goal under harsh circumstances. It was extremely interesting to do something between missions other than spending money and PP.
#2DemiseEndPosted 5/20/2012 4:08:10 PM
Because people liked the easy mass murder since that means they are free to use anyone they wanted

And Borot just isnt the beast supporter he were at J, W, L, R, D, and @g, thats a long list of Boss being awesome supporter, a one game change of pace isnt bad...
Really, for the guy who has Friendship Bonus with one of the most notable of SRW's gamebreaker, Boss should be made really bad or else he would be ridiculous
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#3Suwa-kunPosted 5/20/2012 4:22:26 PM
Ahaha,the topic title makes me think of Touhou.

To be honest i'm good with the difficulty of Z2.1 and Z.2.2 because i mainly use my PSP to kill time and this game has a balance i want,a perfect time killer for me if you will,i don't want my PSP games to be frustratingly hard,i'll go to my PC and PS2 if i want something like that.

Surely not everyone thinks like that,just my 2 cents.
---
Immaterial and Missing Power ~Memory of Forgathering Oriental Dream~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP5_Q6qJg6s
#4MJEmirzianPosted 5/20/2012 5:41:50 PM(edited)
"lacked real strategy."

Z2-2 has strategy. Just not a lot of it. Terrain movement costs used to matter.

Yeah it could use some more variety and depth. Too many waves of grunts and similar skill points.

Edit: removed mistake

---
http://www.tbstactics.com - Tactical Insights. Tactical turn based and tactical/strategy game news/reviews.
#5Hiei_the_SternPosted 5/20/2012 5:29:03 PM
Impact~
---
Future Lalafell Lancer~
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
#6Suwa-kunPosted 5/20/2012 5:31:13 PM
MJEmirzian posted...
"lacked real strategy."

Z2-2 has strategy. Just not a lot of it. Robots used to consume EN when flying. Terrain movement costs used to matter.

Yeah it could use some more variety and depth. Too many waves of grunts and similar skill points.

Still do dood,it's the Terrain bonus that became negligible nowadays.

Ditto for your second point though.
---
Immaterial and Missing Power ~Memory of Forgathering Oriental Dream~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP5_Q6qJg6s
#7Sans PantsPosted 5/20/2012 5:31:14 PM
SRW is an SRPG series with more focus on the RPG than the S. I think if it was more tactical/strategy-based, it'd probably alienate a lot of the fans who just want to see F-YEAH GIANT ROBOTS.

Is this an exclusively-Western gripe with the series? I mean, I don't know what the JP fanbase thinks, but I'm wondering if any of them want SRW to be more like a strategy game, or if they're fine with it being what it is.

...I think SRW is fine the way it is.
#8Sid_IcarusPosted 5/20/2012 6:12:53 PM
Play A, impact, or lord of elementals for difficult play. Or just do a full sr point no upgrade run
---
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
Lol IGN- ThatKillerBenoit
#9Hikari_SwordPosted 5/20/2012 6:23:09 PM
Sid_Icarus posted...
Play A, impact, or lord of elementals for difficult play. Or just do a full sr point no upgrade run

I remember doing a 5 man run in OG1 (GBA) after the 3rd or so NG+, secret boss was a PAAAAIIIIINNNN.
---
Nobunaga: Sacrificing my body to their puny gods is a waste of time.
http://oi43.tinypic.com/206zazl.jpg | http://i41.tinypic.com/15g7aqb.jpg
#10AngelWingZeroXPosted 5/20/2012 7:11:25 PM
I agree, OP. One mission I remember requiring actual strategy was one in J where you replayed the episode of Nadesico with the Walking Stick. Your units could not fly or they would be instantly destroyed. This was a major change up and made most units have to fight differently.

I think these games have gone along the path of looking flashier (not better in every case) while sacrificing more and more of the series' complexity.
More topics from this board...
Best skill set for Chirico?dogboy66/30 3:36PM