Length and story?

#1OmegaWeaponDestroyerPosted 5/25/2013 11:57:26 PM
I preordered this on impulse cause I always preorder LEs. Got mugen souls, each Hyperdimension and a few others. But does this game have an engaging story? Is it decently lengthed? I can let go of meh gameplay for fanservice and a decent story/length. But if its 70$ for a game that isnt even 20+ hours or has a bad story then Ill be canceling my preorder.
---
Something. -Someone
1034 6159 0699 Pokemon Black FC Lily
#2DoctorNekoPosted 5/26/2013 12:30:14 AM
Main story can be done in 10 hours, but the side quests are another 10~15 hours.
I enjoyed the story, but it is not the best in the world. It has this unique feel because of the repeated time-travels. However, the story suffers with weak humours, clichés, and whatnot.

***spoiler-ish about weak humours***
Why was one of the bosses, a drake, afraid of Better Business Bureau (or equivalent)? It just doesnt make sense, and destroys the uniqueness of the whole story.
---
Now playing:
Dragon's Dogma, Gundam Breaker
#3musicmangdPosted 5/26/2013 12:16:03 PM
DoctorNeko posted...
Main story can be done in 10 hours, but the side quests are another 10~15 hours.
I enjoyed the story, but it is not the best in the world. It has this unique feel because of the repeated time-travels. However, the story suffers with weak humours, clichés, and whatnot.

***spoiler-ish about weak humours***
Why was one of the bosses, a drake, afraid of Better Business Bureau (or equivalent)? It just doesnt make sense, and destroys the uniqueness of the whole story.

Wow, may have to reconsider this game. I like my RPG games to be 30+ hours not including side content. I want to feel like I got my money's worth.
#4will57Posted 5/26/2013 12:26:50 PM(edited)
There's nothing in this game that should have made you think it would last that long in one playthrough. Even if it lasts 15-20 hours there is still three endings in total, one of which you can only obtain in New Game+. There are also 3 (or 5?) extras as DLC (I don't know what to call them, chapters, side stories?!). There should be plenty of content to make the purchase worth it (unless you don't like the game, then it's obvious that nothing can change that).
---
Currently waiting the release of The Guided Fate Paradox (Fall), Disgaea D2 (Fall), Dragon's Crown (August) and Time and Eternity (Summer)
#5DoctorNekoPosted 5/26/2013 1:01:51 PM
There are 5 DLCs: a beach area for Toki, the same area for Towa, the same area again for misc. characters, an onsen area for Toki, and the same area for Towa. Yes, there are two new areas with DLCs but you need to buy 5 times to have access to all the side stories.
---
Now playing:
#6musicmangdPosted 5/26/2013 1:23:22 PM
Look like I will for sure be cancelling my order. If they are going to sell us a short game to begin with then insult us by making us pay extra for what should have been included in the first place, then they can FO. I don't buy extra chapters for any games on my iPad and I will not be doing it here. I feel sorry for the suckers who actually shell out for these dlc rip-offs. And what good is having multiple endings when you have to sit though the same game and same dialog over and over again. I am so glad this topic was created as I can use the money I set aside for this on much better things. It is just too bad as I was looking forward to this.
#7DoctorNekoPosted 5/26/2013 3:47:37 PM
Uh, the DLCs are in no way a continuation of the story; thus, I said side stories. They have no influence on the main story, and they were not included on the disk. I have no idea why you would think that the gamers are entitled to receive side stories for free...
---
Now playing:
#8musicmangdPosted 5/26/2013 5:04:33 PM
DoctorNeko posted...
Uh, the DLCs are in no way a continuation of the story; thus, I said side stories. They have no influence on the main story, and they were not included on the disk. I have no idea why you would think that the gamers are entitled to receive side stories for free...

Then give me a nice long full story. A 10 to 15 hour game is not a story, it's a pamphlet. They should have spent more time developing a larger, deeper storyline than worrying about putting side stories up for purchase.
#9DoctorNekoPosted 5/26/2013 9:23:30 PM
musicmangd posted...
Then give me a nice long full story. A 10 to 15 hour game is not a story, it's a pamphlet. They should have spent more time developing a larger, deeper storyline than worrying about putting side stories up for purchase.

How can a 10~15 hour game not be a story when a 4~5 hour CoD gets to be called a masterpiece. What is this I dont even...
---
Now playing:
#10musicmangdPosted 5/26/2013 11:12:26 PM
DoctorNeko posted...
musicmangd posted...

How can a 10~15 hour game not be a story when a 4~5 hour CoD gets to be called a masterpiece. What is this I dont even...

Yeah don't worry about it man, it went right over your head. I can't speak about CoD because I wouldn't even wipe my a** with games like that.