Getting Hit Running Was Instant Game Over.

#1ZBSWPosted 11/1/2012 1:48:15 AM
Hopefully they keep this in.
---
SoManyFoolsSoLittleTime
#2Red OrcPosted 11/4/2012 3:38:13 AM
If I remember at the end of the game if you didn't walk up to the girl she would insta kill you as well.
Run into a eagle? Death!
I recall being blown away by the fluid movement of the character in this as well as Prince of Persia. ...being use to Mario and Alex Kidd's two frames of animation.
#3CarpetfluffPosted 11/7/2012 8:10:17 AM
Yeah, the animation gave it some kind of mystique that kept you playing even though, deep down, you knew there wasn't much game there - it still felt special somehow.
#4AkaimizuPosted 11/7/2012 9:12:05 AM
That was the case for a lot of games, back then. Often enough, due to memory or space limitations, the graphics often compromised game content and gameplay. Karateka was difficult to control, a bit limited, but it certainly gave you a much more cinematic experience than other games around it. But every cinematic game was pretty much in the same vein. At least ones with well-animated cinemas.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#5bodrockPosted 11/7/2012 9:36:01 AM
srsly, I remember when Prince of Persia first came out and how amazing the animation was.....LOL
---
GAME-ON://VIRTUES.LAST.REWARD/S3NJOU.NO.VALKYRIA/DARK.SOULS/
#6CarpetfluffPosted 11/7/2012 12:26:54 PM
You can't fall straight back off the cliff at the start??? That was the best part!!
#7Stray_ZeroPosted 11/7/2012 12:37:14 PM
Carpetfluff posted...
You can't fall straight back off the cliff at the start??? That was the best part!!

That was always the best part, but since if you lose a character or 2, you'll see them fall down the cliff and the next character (either Monk or Brute) will be next in rescue...
---
"The Alternate Truth is yet to be Found" - XBL/PSN/YT/TW: NeoStrayCat (=^_^=)
#8CarpetfluffPosted 11/7/2012 12:40:17 PM
Stray_Zero posted...
Carpetfluff posted...

That was always the best part, but since if you lose a character or 2, you'll see them fall down the cliff and the next character (either Monk or Brute) will be next in rescue...

Yup, I noticed that nod to it, but even so...I probably spent more time doing that than anything else...boy, that game was hard. I'm sure this'll get slated for not having much gameplay, but I'm finding there's something quite addictive about it - and it's nice to hear that scary sounding riff in the music again.
#9FreakservoPosted 11/7/2012 5:08:33 PM
Yeah, the falling of the cliff and the princess instant-kill were intentionally removed. Mechner said it was because they wouldn't surprise people the same way twice, but also added there would be other secrets to find.
---
-TheFreak
Second scar to the right...
#10silverstreakusaPosted 11/9/2012 10:48:49 AM
I remember playing this on the old commodore 54 back in the day. and getting impaled by the gate near the end was always what got me. was always amazed at the blood it showed too..lol
---
xboxlive : SilverstreakUSA