This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Missingno. Master's Guide to GTS Negotiations Etiquette

#1Missingno_MastrPosted 6/28/2012 6:18:31 PM
Hello. I'm Missingno. Master. It occurs to me that many trainers out there may not be especially knowledgeable in the area of proper etiquette as far as GTS Negotiations are concerned. Therefore, I have taken the liberty of whipping up these guidelines. Read 'em, learn 'em, live 'em, and your GTS Negotiations experiences should improve.

1: It is generally considered good manners to greet your trade partner with the smiling emoticon. It is also good form to use the smiling emoticon immediately following a trade, even if it didn't especially benefit you. And if your trading partner has used the smiling emoticon in either one of these instances, for Arceus's sake, don't leave them hanging!

2: Don't dismiss seemingly common Pokémon other people put up for trade. For all you know, that Stunfisk could have a Careful nature and know Curse. That level 1 Larvesta might have a Timid nature and a perfect Speed IV. That Zorua could have a Timid nature, perfect Special Attack and Speed IVs, and two of its Egg moves! That Riolu could have Prankster!!

3: When someone offers a Pokémon, flashes the exclamation point emoticon, and takes the Pokémon back down, they're generally after another one of that Pokémon, or at least something in the same evolutionary line.

4: After a trade, when someone offers the Pokémon they just recieved, flash the smiling emoticon, and take the Pokémon back down, they're thanking you. If they just put the Pokémon back up for trade and leave it there, they're generally looking for a tradeback. I once had a trade partner who used the GTS negotiations to evolve her Boldore, and wanted the Gigalith back. I was able to realize this and agreed to trade it back. There was much abuse of the smiling emoticon from the trade partner following this.

5: If your trade partner is offering multiple Unown in quick succession, do not spam the frowning emoticon, they are trying to convey a message to you, usually the name of a Pokémon they are after. If you are the one using your Unown collection as kind of a keyboard, try to remain aware of your trade partner's country. If they are, for instance, Japanese, they might not understand an English message conveyed via your Unown.

6: If your trade partner offers Shiny Pokémon in succession and spam the frowning emoticon no matter what you offer, your trade partner is not interested in trading, and is merely using GTS negotiations as a means of showing off one's Shinies. This is not the purpose of the GTS, and you have every right to disconnect on them. On rare occasion, however, if you spam the frowning emoticon back at them, you can get them to actually trade stuff with you. Generally not Shinies, but still, the important thing is, you got them to trade stuff instead of misusing the feature to brag about their Shinies.

7: If your trade partner offers an Egg, they generally want an Egg in return. If you have a spare Egg sitting around your PC, you should offer it in return. A single usage of the frowning emoticon is enough to convey that you decline to participate in an Egg trade. More than one Egg trade per partner is acceptable, but try to not trade the other person their own Egg back. It is also a generally mean idea to breed a bunch of Patrat or some other common Pokémon to troll Egg traders.
---
I am Missingno. Master.
R Official Team Rocket member.
#2Missingno_Mastr(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2012 6:18:36 PM
8: If you offer a Pokémon, and the trade partner responds by offering another Pokémon of that species, or at least something in the same evolution family, and takes it right back down, they are indicating that they don't want to trade because they already have it.

9: If someone offers two parts of a trio in succession and uses the exclamation point emoticon, often taking them back down right afterwards, they are generally looking to complete the trio. For instance, someone who offers Tornadus and Landorus and uses the exclamation point is probably looking for a Thundurus. If you lack the necessary Pokémon, just the frowning face might not be enough to convey this, which is where the Unown can come in handy. Spelling out S-O-R-R-Y N-O T-H-U-N-D-U-R-U-S would get the message across much better.

That's all I got right now. If you have anything else that ought to be a part of this guide, by all means, post.
---
I am Missingno. Master.
#3UmuruPosted 6/28/2012 6:29:51 PM(edited)
This... is actually an interesting read. Now you must spread this around everywhere!
#4ReshiramBlackPosted 6/28/2012 6:46:36 PM(edited)
I think mention of reasonable trades should be made. I mean, people will get ticked off pretty easy if you want lvl9 and under legendaries for something like a snivy.

Reasonable trades would be like the following:
starter>starter
legendary>legendary
7/8 female>7/8 female
shiny>shiny
Lv100>Lv100

Also, if a pokemon with an inappropriate name was transferred, you probably shouldn't trade it. I doubt the person you're trading with wants to recieve something like that.

By the way MissingnoMastr, All the points you made are pretty good.

*thumbs up*

Edit: Oh, the prankster riolu comment reminded of something.
I had put a pokemon up in the GTS. I wanted a vulpix(female) in return, hoping for a foreign one for Masuta method breeding. Well, some random foreigner was so generous as to give me a lvl1 dreamworld vulpix.
People should be that generous.
---
My Signature.
#5Missingno_Mastr(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2012 6:42:24 PM
ReshiramBlack posted...
I think mention of reasonable trades should be made. I mean, people will get ticked off pretty easy if you want lvl9 and under legendaries for something like a snivy.

starter>starter
legendary>legendary
7/8 female>7/8 female
shiny>shiny
Lv100>Lv100

Also, if a pokemon with an inappropriate name was transferred, you probably shouldn't trade it. I doubt the person you're trading with wants to recieve something like that.

*thumbs up*

I would have included that if this was intended to cover the regular GTS. Also, I believe the game won't even let you trade the Pokémon if the name contains a swearword. It's why initially, English language non-nicknamed Cofagrigus couldn't be traded.
---
I am Missingno. Master.
#6Goten55Posted 6/28/2012 6:48:03 PM
Thank you Missingno, I never used Negotiations before but this should help.
Should we sticky this?
---
Super Sonico Month!
http://safebooru.org//images/781/964a4ca715c228bf701bd1749e383bac08fc486e.png
#7ReshiramBlackPosted 6/28/2012 6:51:21 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
ReshiramBlack posted...

starter>starter
legendary>legendary
7/8 female>7/8 female
shiny>shiny
Lv100>Lv100

*thumbs up*

I would have included that if this was intended to cover the regular GTS. Also, I believe the game won't even let you trade the Pokémon if the name contains a swearword. It's why initially, English language non-nicknamed Cofagrigus couldn't be traded.

Huh. I didn't really know that, but I should've.
---
My Signature.
#8ThatGuyZPosted 6/28/2012 6:55:07 PM
Hahaha, I've normally follow 4 of these 9 points when using Negotiations as it is, but still, this is a very in-depth guide.
---
For every set of games I see the exact same weapons, specials, and characters used over and over, I die a little as a gamer..;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#9123ericnPosted 6/28/2012 6:56:45 PM
Hey you F****d up my pokemon red version you jerk >_<
#10ReshiramBlackPosted 6/28/2012 6:57:41 PM
Goten55 posted...
Thank you Missingno, I never used Negotiations before but this should help.
Should we sticky this?

I think we should.
---
My Signature.