This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After five generations without this feature, is there really any downside to...

#1MileRunPosted 3/1/2012 5:42:05 PM
...8-directional movement?

I could understand why they thought it might be necessary to limit movement to four directions for the Gameboy. I can maybe-but-not-really see it being understandable for the GBC. I don't know of any other late-life GBA RPG that clung to 4-directional (or any 32-bit jRPG at all). Lack of eight-directional movement on the DS is pretty inexcusable.

I mean, I know it's not a big deal over all; there's not really any need to move diagonally in the main-series Pokemon games. It just feels really clunky and dated, though, after going back and playing Oracle of Ages on the GBC and watching my sprite move up and to the left at the same time.
---
I claim to be the official Porygon2 of the Pokemon Black 2 board. It makes me feel special.
#2xtdg134Posted 3/1/2012 5:47:42 PM
Only thing I can think of is it might make it more difficult to avoid trainers, which is something I never do any way. I guess there's always the possibility of getting your character stuck on something, too.
---
You know what I did on my birthday? I got stung by a bee and passed out in my cabin.
#3Smasher10Posted 3/1/2012 5:50:52 PM

Only thing I can think of is it might make it more difficult to avoid trainers, which is something I never do any way. I guess there's always the possibility of getting your character stuck on something, too.

I would actually think it would be the opposite. It would make it much harder to force you to fight, as you would have more options in moving around their line of sight.
---
Fitter. Happier. More productive.
http://www.last.fm/user/ABattleofOne
#4kabigon20Posted 3/1/2012 5:55:48 PM
We don't have 8-way movement because Gamefreak is lazy. However, we don't really need 8-way movement anyways.
---
Brawl fc: 0946-1910-2716 Pokemon White fc: 0991-6288-2575
To all who call themselves bronies: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmtlt5Y9p31qf3uabo1_400.gif
#5MileRun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2012 9:06:22 PM
Smasher10 posted...
I would actually think it would be the opposite. It would make it much harder to force you to fight, as you would have more options in moving around their line of sight.

This is probably the biggest issue 8-way motion would create, but even then, this can be pretty easily overcome. Say, give enemy trainers a shallow-angled triangular line-of-sight, and have them challenge the player while standing in place to avoid movement/placement complications.
---
I claim to be the official Porygon2 of the Pokemon Black 2 board. It makes me feel special.
#6BikdipOnABusPosted 3/1/2012 9:10:03 PM
Yeah, I don't really see a problem with this either. Like... at all. I assume it would still remain tile-based though, so the step counter wouldn't be ambiguous.
---
If you think Majora's Mask was one of the best Zelda games and would like to see a 3D rerelease, go here:
http://petitiononline.com/MajoraM
#7GraphicsTheManPosted 3/1/2012 9:16:42 PM
The graphics would be worse bro
#8MegaMettaurPosted 3/1/2012 9:19:43 PM
Most of the charm of pokemon is that it has those classic RPG controls.
---
Official Video Game Character of certain boards of their respective games.