This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon should be able to equip their attacks.

#1kabigon20Posted 3/5/2012 10:49:10 AM
Pokemon can only learn 4 moves right? Well this is sometimes a cumbersome thing especially when it comes to HMs and deciding which moves to forget. It's hard to settle on only 4 moves when most Pokemon can learn about 50. So how about we give Pokemon the ability to learn more than 4 moves? How about they can learn all their moves at once? This would be broken of course, so what I was thinking is that A Pokemon can only equip 4 moves at once to be used in a battle. You go into the menu to see all the moves the Pokemon has learned then, you can select 4 moves and equip them. These are the 4 moves it will have available to use in the next battle and you can change them around at any time whenever you're not in the middle of a battle. This way we wont have to use move re-learners anymore or have HM slaves.
---
Brawl fc: 0946-1910-2716 Pokemon White fc: 0991-6288-2575
To all who call themselves bronies: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmtlt5Y9p31qf3uabo1_400.gif
#2CharizardFirePosted 3/5/2012 10:51:54 AM
That is a good idea.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the game's memory can handle that.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#3Fierce_Deity777Posted 3/5/2012 11:02:18 AM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...
That is a good idea.

It would. Just requires proper memory management. (i.e. only loading the data when it's needed)
Though that's assuming that it would be tough on the memory in the first place. (I'm pretty confident that the DS would be able to handle such a suggestion with ease)
---
This post authorized by Adam Malkovich.
Official Mawile of the Pokemon Black/White 2 Boards.
#4slothicaPosted 3/5/2012 11:16:51 AM
That... is genius.

That would take some of the hassle out of breeding for egg moves too.
---
Was I being rude? Sorry, I tend to get that way around stupid people.
Official Maxie and Armored Rapidash of the B/W 2 Boards.
#5GaiamageXPosted 3/5/2012 11:20:34 AM
CharizardFire posted...
That is a good idea.

To a certain extent, I'm sure the game's infrastructure already has the Pokemons' attacks implemented in this way. The only difference is how the user goes about manipulating what moves the Pokemon has access to. (I.E. Going through the move relearner vs. going through the player's menu.)
---
Final Fantasy XIII
- March 9, 2010 -
#6jayman7Posted 3/5/2012 11:25:13 AM
GaiamageX posted...
To a certain extent, I'm sure the game's infrastructure already has the Pokemons' attacks implemented in this way. The only difference is how the user goes about manipulating what moves the Pokemon has access to. (I.E. Going through the move relearner vs. going through the player's menu.)

No, it doesn't. The Move Relearner doesn't give a list of spells the Pokemon knew in the past, just a list of spells the Pokemon would have received through level-ups.

TC, your idea, though good, is not unique. I've had a discussion on the very same thing in the past; I actually can't remember at this point whether I came up with it or got the idea from somewhere else, but even if it was me, I don't think I'm the only one. And maybe keeping the ENTIRE list of moves the Pokemon has learned it the past is a bit much, but it should at least be more than 4 (and let you use HM moves even when the move is not "equipped"!)

Now the trick is: will GameFreak ever utilize it?
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#7Proud_StrayPosted 3/5/2012 11:47:44 AM
Well, since TMs and HMs are reusable now, and we have move re-learners, we pretty more or less have access to this already, albeit you may have to do some traveling, with the exception being egg moves.

Maybe instead of having access to all of our past moves at once, Pokemon could have two different sets that you could switch outside of battle? Kind of like gear sets in other RPGs, you'd have two sets of four moves that you could pick from.
#8GaiamageXPosted 3/5/2012 11:55:03 AM
No, it doesn't. The Move Relearner doesn't give a list of spells the Pokemon knew in the past, just a list of spells the Pokemon would have received through level-ups.

Right, it doesn't list every attack the Pokemon has technically learned in the past, but it suffices based on what the topic creator is looking for. Regardless, my point is, I don't think GameFreak would have to do much to implement such a feature, even if it's not exactly what the TC was looking for. Most of the infrastructure should already be there.
---
Final Fantasy XIII
- March 9, 2010 -
#9GoldenSun3DSPosted 3/5/2012 11:58:14 AM
You're basically asking for a free portable move re-learner >_>
---
Uncancel Mega Man Legends 3! Join the devroom and Sign the ONLY OFFICIAL MML3 PETITION:
http://bitly.com/rigdKs
*Please make this your sig*
#10A_DoorknobPosted 3/5/2012 12:00:56 PM
I completely agree. I've been thinking for a long time that this sort of thing would be extremely useful, especially because it would make it easier to use moves that are more situational without effectively "wasting" a moveslot in most battles. By situational moves, I mean moves that are extremely effective in specific circumstances, but are useless in the majority of battles. For example, there are very few battles in which it is necessary to use Odor Sleuth or Foresight to neutralize an opponent's evasiveness or counteract a Ghost-type's immunities to Normal and Fighting, but these moves are extremely useful in these rare occasions. Other such situational moves include Water Sport, Mud Sport, Helping Hand, Follow Me, and Magic Coat. With a system like this, a person could swap one of these conditional moves in when they will be useful, and then swap them out when they are no longer necessary. This would also solve that bothersome issue of permanently losing an egg move or a move that only a previous form can learn (like Scolipede having learned Iron Defense as a Whirlipede) if it is ever replaced by another move.

The actual implementation of a system like this might not be as unlikely as it seems, either. By making TMs infinite-use, the designers made movesets more fluid and easily changeable, so this sort of thing seems like the next logical step. Also, the idea of effectively relearning moves for free shouldn't be an issue, because the Mystery Dungeon games have always allowed free move relearning, yet have never been too easy as a result. If anything, allowing free shuffling of active moves might give the designers an excuse to make the games slightly harder.

Also, using a system like this would not necessarily make the game too easy. One of the most difficult RPGs I have ever played, Defiant of Shrine Maiden, allows you to equip and remove moves as you see fit. Even though that game allows a character to equip up to 20 moves at the same time, the game is absurdly difficult. By giving you the ability to switch around a character's moves at will, the game assumes that you will take full advantage of it and adjusts the game's difficulty accordingly. Many boss battles are nearly impossible to win without a strategic assortment of moves designed specifically to counter that boss's strategy, even if you are at a very high level.