This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really good idea for a starter

#11Shadow1975Posted 3/16/2012 7:45:02 AM
Even removing pokemon like Magikarp, Hoppip, etc. you leave a lot of strength variation, where starters should be fairly close in their strength. If I ended up with a starter like Gible, Dratini, or Larvitar, I'd have a distinct advantage over people who ended up starting with something like Farfetch'd, Delibird, or Dunsparce. Not only are the pokemon stronger, but they have evolution stages to make for more interesting play experiences and move learning. And as already mentioned, we already have people exploiting the 'random' nature of the game.
---
Life is tough. It's a lot tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne
#12Missingno_MastrPosted 3/16/2012 7:47:26 AM
Shadow1975 posted...
Even removing pokemon like Magikarp, Hoppip, etc. you leave a lot of strength variation, where starters should be fairly close in their strength. If I ended up with a starter like Gible, Dratini, or Larvitar, I'd have a distinct advantage over people who ended up starting with something like Farfetch'd, Delibird, or Dunsparce. Not only are the pokemon stronger, but they have evolution stages to make for more interesting play experiences and move learning. And as already mentioned, we already have people exploiting the 'random' nature of the game.

Not if the Dunsparce came with its Egg Move of Headbutt and had Serene Grace as its ability.
---
I am Missingno. Master.
R Official Team Rocket member.
#13LePetitePollitoPosted 3/16/2012 8:08:26 AM(edited)
I wouldn't mind a new way of getting your starter. I'm tired of the old formula and while they have tried mixing it up a bit, it has done nothing but make it a tedious chore to get my first poke.

No,we need something like what you suggested, or in the event of wanting the plot to have a little more of a developing, they could do something like... The proffesor, or your Dad, or a random Mysterious guy give you a borrowed Pokemon and 5 pokeballs, then you go into their private grass patch were they say:

"I have many interesting and rare Pokemon here, feel free to catch anyone you want, but remember you only get one!",
That then will serve for as a battle tutorial and a Pokemon catching tutorial as well.

With this they will be teaching two basic things to newcomers and makes the Plot a bit more interesting if they go with a Mysterious guy.

Now what Pokes you could catch, it should be any Gen starter.
---
{O _ o} PSN: curlee_88
Official -Stunna-Squirtle- of any board.
#14IrisVilePosted 3/16/2012 8:45:20 AM
LePetitePollito posted...
I wouldn't mind a new way of getting your starter. I'm tired of the old formula and while they have tried mixing it up a bit, it has done nothing but make it a tedious chore to get my first poke.

No,we need something like what you suggested, or in the event of wanting the plot to have a little more of a developing, they could do something like... The proffesor, or your Dad, or a random Mysterious guy give you a borrowed Pokemon and 5 pokeballs, then you go into their private grass patch were they say:

"I have many interesting and rare Pokemon here, feel free to catch anyone you want, but remember you only get one!",
That then will serve for as a battle tutorial and a Pokemon catching tutorial as well.

With this they will be teaching two basic things to newcomers and makes the Plot a bit more interesting if they go with a Mysterious guy.

Now what Pokes you could catch, it should be any Gen starter.

This isn't too bad of an idea. And your Rivals could mixed it up and catch a random one who is stronger or weaker respectively since we do the whole balanced nice rivals now adays...
---
I'm a wench, who vomits her mind.
#15Shadow1975Posted 3/16/2012 9:04:05 AM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
Shadow1975 posted...

Not if the Dunsparce came with its Egg Move of Headbutt and had Serene Grace as its ability.

So, how often do you see people using Dunsparce to battle Garchomp, Dragonite, or Tyranitar? Sure, flinch hax is decently fun and effective to use, but it isn't enough to deal with some of the tougher situations. MAYBE if Dunsparce had stats to back it up.....

There, I fed the troll, but I can't honestly see people being happy about getting something as crappy as Dunsparce as a starter when someone else gets Garchomp.
---
Life is tough. It's a lot tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne
#16LePetitePollitoPosted 3/16/2012 9:22:05 AM
That's why I was saying.
---
{O _ o} PSN: curlee_88
Official -Stunna-Squirtle- of any board.
#17EvolutionUber(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2012 4:58:09 PM
No doubt altiterations can be made like only Pokemon that evolve.
---
ANZ's most hated