This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: the worst-designed Pokemon, IMO.

#1JagusPosted 5/24/2012 2:19:49 PM
I will try to justify why I dislike them.

Bibarel - the expression on its face makes me want to burn it.

Luxio - its dorky hairstyle reminds me of Ash.

Roserade - once again, a stupid hairdo. Is it supposed to be a Pokemon or an old lady?

The Wormadam family - utterly generic looking. It evolves by wearing a trash cloak. It should've stayed in the garbage.

Floatzel - all of its fins look awkward instead of regal, and its color scheme sucks.

Cherrim - I guess I just don't like yellow on pink. Looks gross.

Gastrodon - actually an awesome design, if its flesh wasn't pink or blue. Light brown would've been better.

Skunktank line -- looks more like a fat-ass cat than a skunk.

Spiritomb - uninspired Gastly rip-off.

Garchomp - not that bad, but it looks flappy and gangly as opposed to Gabite, who looks menacing.

Drapion - it looks like an accordion, and its white teeth jutting in are unnecessary.

Lumineon line - Lumineon's large fins are awkward looking.

Magnezone - fat-ass robot ballerina with a plate on its head.

Rhyperior - way too bulky, the orange plates look weird are an illogical progression from Rhydon's design, and the arm spikes suck.

Magmortar - Loses everything that was cool about Magmar. Looks like Majin Buu fell in a fire.

Togekiss - easily the worst gen IV evolution. No longer looks serene, it looks like a f***ing blimp with a head.

Leafeon - an utter waste of a concept. It's just an Eevee with green protrusions.

Dialga/Palkia - not bad, but way too many markings, divisions, and accessories.

Shaymin's Sky Forme - I thought this was a joke when I first saw it. It looks like a wimpy-ass mutt.

Arceus - its "wheel" looks incredibly awkward. Too spiky and too many minor details. And lets not forget that it's supposed to be a god, but its four-legged. I've lost my reverence.

Victini - I hate everything about this Pokemon. The same person who designed Shaymin must've designed it. Its color scheme is awful, should've gone with the shiny one and made it red and white. But the most unforgivable detail is the tooth. It just makes it look ugly.

Samurott - TWO mustaches? You've got to be kidding me. Whoever designed this should be fired, because they clearly don't understand that sometimes less is more.

Stoutland - the mustache is too much, and they give it two-tones as if to try and offset the fact that it's an uninteresting and awkward feature.

Liepard - fine, but it should've nixed the yellow and gone with white like its pre-evo.

Excadrill - holy s*** this thing looks awkward. It's in the running for one of the worst Pokemon ever designed. The stripes on its belly just look messy, and its body shape is more reminiscent of a penguin than a mole. Look at how the top doesn't seem to naturally curve to the shape of its head. It's almost like its wearing a visor. And its drills look terrible.

Conkeldurr family - I think it's supposed to look ugly, so I'll give it a pass, but its veins are disgusting.

Seismetoad - shouldn't have had the warts on its head.

Krookodile - the stripes on its belly only serve to clutter it. I'm not a big fan of sudden color changes in evolutions either. But this one's not that bad.

Marractus - upon first seeing it, I could tell if it was supposed to look like a Cactuar, or if the middle segment was the fact. By the virtue of having a confusing design, it has already failed.

Mincinno - its scarf look stupid. What an uninspired evolution.

Gothilelle family - who thought Medichan in drag was a good idea?

Reuniclus - not that bad, but its arm segments should've been reduced by one or two.

Continued in next post.
---
MUSIC IS OBJECTIVELY DEFINED AND ITS QUALITY IS EMPIRICALLY MEASUREABLE IN THE EQUATION, WHAT I LIKE > WHAT YOU LIKE. Jaraqua Lefty Jones
#2Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:27:09 PM
Ferrothorn - wow, it's like somebody hung a grey patty off of a bunch of noodles and added spikes all over. An unworthy spiritual successor to Forrtress.

Klang family - a waste of what could've been a simple and charming concept. The failure mostly comes from the derp-y looking faces they chose for the gears. Someone even recolored them too look like Bibarels.

Eeleektross - its limbs are oddly shaped. It looks like it was constructed out of elongated and misshapen pears. Its white teeth should not look like they're layered on top of its lips.

Axew/Fraxure - look like it got a tongue depressor lodged in its skull.

Beartic - looks like it was designed by a five year old. What is up with its crotch fur?

Cryogonal - also one of the worst Pokemon ever designed. Way too many lines and details. The pearl tear mustache thing looks like its wearing a tacky fashion accessory. On a scale of 1-10, I give this design a negative f*** you.

Cobalion - it looks like a Chinese knock-off of a real Pokemon. Its head doesn't seem to match its body.

Terrakion - maybe I just hate it because I hate bull dogs. Or whatever this thing is based off of.

Meloetta - perhaps the worst Pokemon ever designed. It looks like one of those cartoon advertisements that ask you to come and see what you look like as a cartoon, or whatever those dumb "twinks" things are that are basically dolls you play dress-up with. It's the only Pokemon I think that doesn't look like a Pokemon at all. It looks like a person with a disease.
---
MUSIC IS OBJECTIVELY DEFINED AND ITS QUALITY IS EMPIRICALLY MEASUREABLE IN THE EQUATION, WHAT I LIKE > WHAT YOU LIKE. Jaraqua Lefty Jones
#3R0cks0l1ddPosted 5/24/2012 2:29:18 PM(edited)
I like the way you had "worst" in the title, yet you called some of them "not bad" in the actual post.

Also, maybe you should look up what Spiritomb is based off of. It definitely isn't an uninspired Gastly rip-off. It doesn't even look like Gastly.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1077 0194 8641
#4Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:30:07 PM
Well, I had to be honest. Some of these weren't that bad, but they just had some minor flaws that messed them up.

And yeah, Spiritomb is based off a cool concept, but it looks like some poured fizzy pop into Gastly.
---
#5inTaCtfuLPosted 5/24/2012 2:31:46 PM
Only 4th gen and 5th gen Pokemon?
#6Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:32:46 PM
I didn't have any problems with any Pokemon pre-4th Gen. There are plenty of Pokemon I don't like pre-4th gen, but none that look like they lack a basic understanding of design.
---
#7MetuaPosted 5/24/2012 2:34:24 PM
*comes in expecting newer Pokémon*

Yup, that's what I thought.

But what about piles of sludge, or angry Pokéballs? Surely you consider THOSE badly designed?
---
Now say "tax exemption"!
http://i.imgur.com/yKMR7.png
#8PhantomLink1Posted 5/24/2012 2:38:26 PM
Jagus posted...
Spiritomb - uninspired Gastly rip-off.

Magnezone - fat-ass robot ballerina with a plate on its head.

There were more but seriously?!. IIRC Spiritomb does draw inspiration from budhism actually.
---
The legend will never die. RIP Halofan: 3/19/12
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165
#9Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:39:45 PM
No, some of the simpler designs are actually pretty charming. Gen IV and V have these too, such as Cherubi, Drifloon, Chingling, Bonsly, Chatot, Munchlax, Porygon-Z, Rotom, the Watchog family, the Musharna family, and the ice cream family. These are all great designs. However, the simpler ones are becoming more rare each generation.
---
#10Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:40:24 PM
There were more but seriously?!. IIRC Spiritomb does draw inspiration from budhism actually.

Spiritomb as a concept is cool. Its design is okay, but it's not very inspired.
---