This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question I've had since gen I . . .

#1ElSilverWindPosted 6/18/2012 1:57:20 PM
Why does the Bug type exist?

Don't get me wrong, I love bug types. However, with the possible exception of Dragon, all other types seem to be based off of some kind of element or ability (water, fire, electric, ground, flying, dark, etc.)

Most (if not all) dual type bug Pokemon would still make sense if they lost their bug typing.
Beedrill - Poison, Butterfree - Flying, Scizor - Steel, Heracross - Fighting, Shedinja - Ghost, Parasect - Grass, Shuckle - Rock, etc.
Then for all pure bug types, poison, grass, and flying all seem to fitting replacements.
Pinsir - Poison, Pineco - Grass (I know it's not a pinecone but still), Volbeat - flying, etc.

Just . . . What is the Bug type FOR? Why have one type based of a species (more or less) and not the others. There are plenty of feline and canine Pokemon.

The bug trainers and always seem to boast them as tough (Aaron), beautiful (Burgh), or intelligent (Bugsy). But what are their actual abilities/characteristics that set them apart from other Pokemon?

Heck, most bug type moves actually say "like a(n) bug/ insect in their text just to make the move seem more Bug-like but is not really much different than other currently existing moves.

Megahorn - Horn Attack
Signal beam - Psybeam
Bug Buzz - Schreech/Uproar
Leech Life - Bite

*deep breath* Phew! Can anyone answer this?
---
---
Happily dating Burgh
#2R0cks0l1ddPosted 6/18/2012 1:58:35 PM
Because the creator of Pokemon liked bug collecting.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1077 0194 8641
#3GoldenFantasyPosted 6/18/2012 2:02:39 PM
ElSilverWind posted...
Why does the Bug type exist?

Don't get me wrong, I love bug types. However, with the possible exception of Dragon, all other types seem to be based off of some kind of element or ability (water, fire, electric, ground, flying, dark, etc.)

Most (if not all) dual type bug Pokemon would still make sense if they lost their bug typing.
Beedrill - Poison, Butterfree - Flying, Scizor - Steel, Heracross - Fighting, Shedinja - Ghost, Parasect - Grass, Shuckle - Rock, etc.
Then for all pure bug types, poison, grass, and flying all seem to fitting replacements.
Pinsir - Poison, Pineco - Grass (I know it's not a pinecone but still), Volbeat - flying, etc.

Just . . . What is the Bug type FOR? Why have one type based of a species (more or less) and not the others. There are plenty of feline and canine Pokemon.

The bug trainers and always seem to boast them as tough (Aaron), beautiful (Burgh), or intelligent (Bugsy). But what are their actual abilities/characteristics that set them apart from other Pokemon?

Heck, most bug type moves actually say "like a(n) bug/ insect in their text just to make the move seem more Bug-like but is not really much different than other currently existing moves.

Megahorn - Horn Attack
Signal beam - Psybeam
Bug Buzz - Schreech/Uproar
Leech Life - Bite

*deep breath* Phew! Can anyone answer this?
---

You can probably replace the sentence with any other type and it'll be similar reasoning. Instead, you should think why flying exists. Before tornadus, flying was always a sub-type.
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#4Lu AzaPosted 6/18/2012 2:04:41 PM
I summon the MIGHTY ELEMENTAL FORCES OF NORMAL!

Wait, what?
---
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8910/1133198526705ob3.gif
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." ~ Thomas Paine
#5ElSilverWind(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 2:10:43 PM
R0cks0l1dd posted...
Because the creator of Pokemon liked bug collecting.

I think this might actually be the most likely answer seeing as how the idea of Pokemon came from the creator collecting bugs in little containers IRL.
---
---
Happily dating Burgh
#6Elec Man EXEPosted 6/18/2012 2:13:40 PM
Rock, Steel, Ground (Ground in Pokemon isn't really that elemental even though it often is in other games), Flying, Dragon, Normal, Fighting, Grass, to a certain extent Dark... none of them are notably elemental.

There are a ton of types in Pokemon that are more related to the pokemons' characteristics or body composition than some elemental affinity. Bug hardly seems an oddity.

I assume a bug types characteristics' would be similar to real life bugs. Exoskeleton, segmented body, ect.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#7ElSilverWind(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 2:26:09 PM
Well flying types are for all Pokemon capable of flight, and seeing how there are so many that can, it's a fairly important one. Not to mention that Pokemon flying actually would make a difference in a battle (ground immunity). I think they should have had a bird type for the main type instead of Normal. Which goes with my confusion as to why Bug exists as a type.

Normal . . . Yeah I agree. It seems gamefreak just wanted a Type to throw everything they couldn't put in another Type into. But I guess if it didn't exist, they'd need to change all normal attacks into other types.
---
---
Happily dating Burgh
#8ElSilverWind(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 2:42:45 PM
Elec Man EXE posted...
Rock, Steel, Ground (Ground in Pokemon isn't really that elemental even though it often is in other games), Flying, Dragon, Normal, Fighting, Grass, to a certain extent Dark... none of them are notably elemental.

There are a ton of types in Pokemon that are more related to the pokemons' characteristics or body composition than some elemental affinity. Bug hardly seems an oddity.

I assume a bug types characteristics' would be similar to real life bugs. Exoskeleton, segmented body, ect.

Fair enough, but nearly all Pokemon are based on animals, so why are insects different?
All of those types have a special property to their attacks. Rock uses Rocks (Stone Edge) Ground uses the Ground (Earthquake), Grass uses plants (Vine Whip), Dark uses Dark Energy (Dark Pulse), Fighting uses Fighting Techniques (Low Kick)
Normal is the default type for moves (I guess there just needed to be Pokemon to have STAB with it?)
Dragon as I said is in a similar boat, but seeing as there are stories and such that claim dragons have special magical breath or abilities, I can kinda see how Dragon's Breath works. But still, it's in a similar boat. It is pretty much the "legendary" class anyways.

The only thing I can see bugs having is something related to pheromones or attacking in groups (Like Vespiquen's Attack Order, Defend Order, and Heal Order.)
---
---
Happily dating Burgh
#9Archwing3441Posted 6/18/2012 2:48:09 PM
that brings up another question, what makes up normal type. Even for the people in the pokemon world, what defines as normal? the fact that they AREN'T elementally based creatures? now does that actually make it normal if most of the animals are?
http://pokedream.com/pokedex/images/sugimori/424.jpg?1332947997
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/Aceboyo/Baoppu.png
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/Aceboyo/Hiyappu.png
http://media.pldh.net/screens/bw/sugimori_yanappu.png
Just imagine 4 kids talking about there pokemon.
"cool monkey, mines a fire type."
"lame, water is the best type of monkeys"
"no way, grass is! What's yours?"
"mines normal..."
"that's weird..."
And to add to it, why is there a difference between fighting and normal type? specifically, how does a pokemon learning the ability to use martial arts makes it GAIN weaknesses? I get how fighting is strong against normal (get a normal boy and a karate boy, see who'll win in a fight), but how is fighting weak against flying and psychic but normal isn't?
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#10anuticciwbPosted 6/18/2012 2:49:47 PM
It was created to counter the overpowered dark type.
---
black-3267 6694 0352 // Volunteer at F&A's PS.
(J>.<)J Q(^o^Q) < http://tinyurl.com/anuticciwb <-my pokes]