This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how do people become gym leaders exactly? (spoilers)

#1Geminia999Posted 6/21/2012 10:08:05 AM
If there is one thing that is utterly confusing me is how this gym leader, elite four, champion thing works. So how exactly do people become gym leaders? I mean you have people who were champions become gym leaders (blue and cheren I think) effectively going down in rank, but then you also have people who were gym leaders who became elite four members and champion and Elite four who became champion (koga, wallace, iris and lance) effectively making this a circle that makes no actual sense of progress. So how do these statuses all work? I assume Elite four and Gym leaders are like jobs, but if you are better than the elite four why are downgraded to gym leader who can than just easily switch around.

Uh, all I can say to sum up is the poke world must have terrible job protection.
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#2Ambi3ntT3chPosted 6/21/2012 10:11:09 AM
From what i've heard and know the Elite 4 must invite people to become a leader like good trainers.
If a member of the Elite 4/Champion steps down I assume they automatically get an invitation to become a gym leader
#3SpeedDaemonPosted 6/21/2012 10:12:46 AM
They're appointed by the league i assume. And as far as Blue and Cheren go, neither were Champion. Blue got beat by Red and then assumed the now vacant Viridian City gym and Cheren never became Champion that I remember. N, Alder, and Black/White were the only people that were Champion during those games. N beat Alder, you beat N, and you beat Alder. So Cheren probably just got the gym leader job as compensation for helping save Unova, and demonstrating he was a really good trainer.
---
most recent movies seen: Then Experiment [6.5/10], Scott Pilgrim [9/10], Toy Story 3 [9.5/10], Inception [9.5/10]
#4darkstriker00Posted 6/21/2012 10:14:09 AM
I think in the manga there is a certain test you take to become a gym leader and simply beating the elite 4 can get you an elite 4 position.
---
PSN-darkstriker00
#5Geminia999(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2012 10:18:17 AM
Daemon, except Blue was champ from when he beat the elite four to when you beat him. Sure it was like fifteen minutes but he was still champ. Again I don't remember what exactly happened with cheren, but he did at least beat the Elite four which technically makes him rank above them. And this is before even getting into what all the protagonists do after becoming champion.
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#6radred2004Posted 6/21/2012 10:18:37 AM
SpeedDaemon posted...
They're appointed by the league i assume. And as far as Blue and Cheren go, neither were Champion. Blue got beat by Red and then assumed the now vacant Viridian City gym and Cheren never became Champion that I remember. N, Alder, and Black/White were the only people that were Champion during those games. N beat Alder, you beat N, and you beat Alder. So Cheren probably just got the gym leader job as compensation for helping save Unova, and demonstrating he was a really good trainer.

Blue was champion until Red beat him, but regardless he took Viridian Gym of his own accord.
---
White: Daisy 1550 0892 3564 Gold: Gold 3268 1023 8138
#7JC152Posted 6/21/2012 10:27:27 AM
Black and White seemed to imply that the Champion has some political power/duty in ruling the nation, since Alder appears to have the power to command everyone in Unova to release their pokemon. I have a feeling that while anyone can become champion, only a few actually stay in that position because of what they must actually do.
#8EchoPhoenixPosted 6/21/2012 10:35:29 AM
I mean you have people who were champions become gym leaders (blue and cheren I think)

Cheren wasn't a champion ever, and Blue lost his title, so they were both regular trainers by the time they got hired as Gym Leaders. If you're a champion and don't have the title anymore, you're nothing but a normal Pokemon Trainer.

Becoming a Gym Leader seems to be a "passing down" kind of deal, where the Leader who's leaving chooses who to leave in charge of their Gym and Badge. Koga choosing his daughter Janine, Flannery inheriting the Gym from her grandfather, Wallace calling Juan back, and Drayden wanting Iris to take over the Gym are all examples where we see that the Leader who leaves usually picks who gets to take over, and personally train their apprentices until they're ready. Blue's an exception since Giovanni disappeared, but him being a former champion seems to have been enough qualification.

Anyone can try to be a champion, they just have to beat the Elite Four and the current champion (or in the case of Blue, just the Elite Four since there was no champion when he was going for the challenge). But if you do become a champion, then it wouldn't make sense to be a part of another League system, so if you were a Gym Leader or Elite Four member, then you'd have to give up that job, which seems to be the case with Lance, Wallace, Iris, and presumably what would've happened with Volkner. Same goes for Koga when moving from a Gym Leader to an Elite Four member.
#9solarisjediPosted 6/21/2012 11:01:44 AM
In Emerald, one of the calls to/from your neighbour mentions something about applying to become a gym leader when one is built.
---
Official Nidoking of the Pokemon Boards
#101qaqa1Posted 6/21/2012 11:06:59 AM
I still think cheren got ripped, he easily has the firepower to be an e4 member or even the last gym but chose to run the trainer's school and become the lamest gyn leader.
---
Official Keldeo of the Pokemon Black/White 2 boards.