This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Simple question

#1McTCMPosted 7/7/2012 8:45:31 AM
I got a small question (or 2) involving the Ability "simple",

If Swoobat used CM, it would now have +2 Sp atk and Sp Def, now if my opponent (or me in double battles) did psyche up, would I gain +1 or +2 Sp atk and Sp Def?

also if I did CM 6 times, is the cap still on +6, or does it become +12 because of simple?
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#2LexifoxPosted 7/7/2012 8:47:11 AM
If your opponent uses Psych Up, they'll get +1 boosts, not +2, I believe. I know that you don't double stat boosts with Baton Pass, so I assume it works the same way.

And if you Calm Mind six times, you still cap at +6.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3ElSilverWindPosted 7/7/2012 8:49:01 AM
Psyche Up copies stat changes so + 2 SpAtk +SpDef

Limit is still +6 so any further boosts wouldn't work.
#4McTCM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2012 9:26:30 AM
1 yes, 1 no

I guess I'll have to test it once I get some free time.
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#5RadioRebelPosted 7/7/2012 9:35:26 AM
Simple works differently in Gens 4 and 5.

In Gen 4, Simple is a passive ability that doubles the effect that a given stat increase or decrease level has on stats. For example, using Calm Mind would still provide a +1 boost, but the Simple ability doubles the amount by which a +1 boost raises stats. Using Baton Pass or Psych Up would pass the +1 stat level, not the ×2 stat increase resulting from Simple. This also works the other way; a Simple Pokémon receiving a +1 boost from Baton Pass or Psych Up would also have its stats doubled.

In Gen 5, however, Simple is an active ability that triggers any time a stat is raised or lowered, doubling the stat levels themselves. In this case, using Calm Mind would actually result in a +2 boost, which is retained through Baton Pass or Psych Up. However, this also means that a Simple Pokémon receiving a +1 boost from Baton Pass or Psych Up will not receive double the boosts like it would in Gen 4.

So ElSilverWind was correct TC, a Swoobat using Calm Mind will in fact receive a +2 boost.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1850-6413-0450