The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Medals ... did we really need an achievement system for this series?

#1CryingStarPosted 10/5/2012 11:33:53 PM
I just found out about the achievement system in these games and ... honestly, I'm disappointed. I thought that GameFreak was one of the few companies that considered themselves above the "need for an achievement system", allowing the actual Pokemon, themselves, to serve as a trophy for your accomplishments.

Honestly, my opinion can be summed up thusly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1A-Ymf1VYY
---
"I know the knife is supposed to go next to the spoon, but where does the gun go?"
~~Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report (9/19/2008)
#2GRTooCoolPosted 10/5/2012 11:48:35 PM
*Shrugs* I don't think it really matters.

I for one, don't even care about achievements when I play on the 360. If I get an achievement, cool. But I would never go out of my way to get one... that is just not fun.

Think of it as a side thing. You don't get anything special for getting all the medals. (At least not that I'm aware of.)
---
iRO Loki: 98/6x Sniper, 9x/50 Battle Priest, 8x/50 Priest, 8x/4x Blacksmith, 7x/4x Wizard, 7x/4x Gunslinger
#3CryingStar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 11:51:56 PM
But why add it in the first place? Did the series really need achievements to get people to keep playing it?
---
"I know the knife is supposed to go next to the spoon, but where does the gun go?"
#4kanime_yutaPosted 10/5/2012 11:53:43 PM
Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed at it as well. The last thing people on this board need is another reason to consider themselves elites.
---
Furry pride! "Yiff in hell, you say? Gladly!"
#5GRTooCoolPosted 10/5/2012 11:55:25 PM
Did they really need it? I don't think so. Like I said, it's just an added bonus. I think people who play Pokemon are going to play it either way, with or without the medals/achievement.

But keep in mind that technically the "achievements" have always been in a Pokemon game for as long as I can remember. The different colored trainer card and/or with the stars? I would consider them achievements of some sort.
---
iRO Loki: 98/6x Sniper, 9x/50 Battle Priest, 8x/50 Priest, 8x/4x Blacksmith, 7x/4x Wizard, 7x/4x Gunslinger
#6HurricaneManningPosted 10/6/2012 12:02:56 AM
I think it adds replay if you want to try for certain things.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#7The_Sol_BladerPosted 10/6/2012 12:04:10 AM
Cry some more TC
---
R - Grunt, knight, Dark-type master
Black FC: 4127 2517 7042
#8CryingStar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 12:10:47 AM
HurricaneManning posted...
I think it adds replay if you want to try for certain things.

How does it add replay for doing things that you should already be doing? You shouldn't need a worthless in-game achievement to convince - perhaps coerce might be a better term for OCD players - you to do certain things in a video game. You should want to do them because you want to do them.

The trainer card stars and colors were an achievement system of sorts, yes. But it didn't go out of it's way to announce itself like achievement systems do nowadays, and just like the medal system is going to.

Ultimately, all it does is provide a false sense of accomplishment for doing something that you should already intend to do. Are people's attention spans so short nowadays that they need a pat on the back for doing even the simplest things, now?
---
#9HulkkisPosted 10/6/2012 12:13:36 AM
Its good, a little checklist for stuff to do wont hurt.
---
"South-Korea is the only nation whose national sport has a sequel."
-Disc
#10RoobitysuPosted 10/6/2012 12:13:46 AM
Does it matter that much? There isn't some bald muscular black guy whipping you as you play, all like "GET THE ACHIEVEMENTS! GET THE ACHIEVEMENTS YOU MAGGOT!"
---
I draw nekkid chicks! O:
http://i40.tinypic.com/rucjkh.jpg Roxie <3