The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Another newbie question =] Old starter pokemon trick

#1linknparkfanPosted 10/8/2012 2:08:57 AM
So if you guys saw my other post, this is my first DS Pokemon game (I don't know if I should really count Soul Silver since it's a remake of a GB Pokemon). I never played Ruby/sapp/emerald/plat/black/white, nothing. I'm sure lots has changed, so I thought I'd ask before possibly wasting a ton of time.

I picked up B2 and W2 for my brother and myself earlier after work today, and back in blue/red you had to have one guy constantly make a new file and reach the Pokecenter to trade away the starters a few times over so you both received all the starter Pokemon (I don't know if every kid did this but we certainly did, lol).

If we want all the starter Pokemon is this the way to go again? Or can you actually receive the other two starters in game nowadays?? You can breed at least one starter to trade away with like a Ditto or something, right? We'd just be down one starter? So many questions sorry, but this is all new to me. Thought it'd make sense to figure this out before I progress, thanks!
#2beebarbPosted 10/8/2012 2:17:23 AM
It's actually a little worse now, like before you have to trade in the other starters, but this time you can't trade until you beat the first Gym and get the C-Gear.
---
We shall always remember the departed...
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418
#3jayman7Posted 10/8/2012 2:18:37 AM
Yes, you can still start a game partway, trade a starter, and then restart, in order to collect all three starters, though these games have a safety feature where the save file is only deleted if you press a specific button combo.

You cannot get multiple starters (from the same set) directly in a single game, Yellow and Gamecube games aside, but trading is always viable.

Breeding can let you get as many copies of whatever you want - except legendaries, Ditto, and Unown (Ditto can breed with everything breedable except itself) - which has been true since the second generation, but you're still limited to one starter line (per set) without trading.

(I say "Per set" because you actually played one of the biggest exceptions: Soul Silver let you get up to three starters directly - but only one from the first gen, one from the second, and one from the third.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#4linknparkfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 2:22:48 AM
beebarb posted...
It's actually a little worse now, like before you have to trade in the other starters, but this time you can't trade until you beat the first Gym and get the C-Gear.

Dang =( So, there's really no way of getting all the starters without trading? And if we want to do it between our own games, we have to beat the gym leader and acquire a specific item first---a task I can only imagine that will take MUCH longer than one would prefer for something simple as trading away the starter Pokemon???? =(

So how does the "community" usually do it?? Just trade the starters for the data then trade back?? I can't imagine anyone would actually TRADE their starter away.
#5Anodyne11Posted 10/8/2012 2:26:02 AM(edited)
Haha me and my sister did that in Blue/Red.
We restarted one save over and over until we had 2 sets of the starters. 5 resets just for that lol
We had Pokemon Stadium as well though so it ended up being pointless as we got loads of starters from that. (we got a N64 with Stadium and blue/red the same day... it was like Christmas!)

It isn't as bad here though as you can breed them or trade online.
If you want to get all 3 starters by yourself though, just make one save with the starter neither of you want, trade it over then restart your save.
Will only need to restart once due to being able to breed.

linknparkfan posted...
beebarb posted...

Dang =( So, there's really no way of getting all the starters without trading? And if we want to do it between our own games, we have to beat the gym leader and acquire a specific item first---a task I can only imagine that will take MUCH longer than one would prefer for something simple as trading away the starter Pokemon???? =(

So how does the "community" usually do it?? Just trade the starters for the data then trade back?? I can't imagine anyone would actually TRADE their starter away.

You can just breed them so the starters mean nothing to me since they're so easy to make multiples of.
If I get my wifi connection sorted on my DS I'd give you one for free (just trade whatever for it)
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#6linknparkfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 2:25:29 AM
Double post: Wait, so between my brother and I, say I pick Oshawott, the one I want. My brother proceeds to get Tepig, beats the leader, blah blah blah now he can trade, and gives me Tepig. He restarts his file, and chooses the one he actually wants, Snivy. Now, I can eventually breed the Tepig, and Osh, and he can eventually breed Snivy, and we'll trade and both have all three???

That's actually not so bad then. Getting to trading is a lot longer, but breeding cuts down the amount of times I'd have to do it by a ton, if I understand this right.
#7tenchi1981Posted 10/8/2012 2:26:38 AM
You can now trade world wide if you have wireless so you can ask on the trade boards for any pokemon you want and probably get it starters are easy to get here

I run a shop here on the boards that gives access to most dw pokemon to people who cant or dont like the dream world theres other shops that offer pretty much everything else you want starters ask ace breeding center you want dream world pokemon come see me you want events seek the pawn shop theres others too

You canget all sorts of stuff here as long as you have wifi
---
Pokemon white fc 0820-0308-4093 member of ace breeding center
breeder and founder of the dw breeding center
#8Anodyne11Posted 10/8/2012 2:26:52 AM
linknparkfan posted...
Double post: Wait, so between my brother and I, say I pick Oshawott, the one I want. My brother proceeds to get Tepig, beats the leader, blah blah blah now he can trade, and gives me Tepig. He restarts his file, and chooses the one he actually wants, Snivy. Now, I can eventually breed the Tepig, and Osh, and he can eventually breed Snivy, and we'll trade and both have all three???

That's actually not so bad then. Getting to trading is a lot longer, but breeding cuts down the amount of times I'd have to do it by a ton, if I understand this right.

Yes you can :)
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#9jayman7Posted 10/8/2012 2:27:02 AM
linknparkfan posted...
So how does the "community" usually do it?? Just trade the starters for the data then trade back??

Trade boards, GTS*... or just doing the trick and putting up with the fact that it takes a while.

I can't imagine anyone would actually TRADE their starter away.

Except for the whole "breeding" thing, which negates the inconvenience entirely. And heck, some people will give away their perfectly legit non-breedable legendary Pokemon - generally if they have spares.

* - GTS is a trade system introduced in the fourth generation - that is Diamond, Pearl, etc. - that lets you trade with essentially random people worldwide. It's built into the games. It has its flaws (people putting up trash asking for legendaries, or people asking for Pokemon at levels impossible to achieve) but it does work.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10purple_ravenPosted 10/8/2012 2:28:27 AM
Honestly. IMO these starters all suck. So I wouldn't bother. Well I don't like them anyways. Always ended up with better of there type before the final gyms anyways.
---
THE GAME