This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Think back to when you were a little kid...

#41zxqqxzPosted 11/5/2012 7:40:55 AM
I think I was around 4 when I played Pokemon Stadium. I remember trying to beat Gym Leader Castle and I beat it after about 2 years. I later then got Pokemon Sapphire as my first Pokemon Game with an actual story.
---
Guess what. Sakuya made my favorite pie! But this mean person squished it in my face. But it's okay, the mean persons dead now. :3
#42A_DoorknobPosted 11/5/2012 7:45:58 AM
I remember reading about Pokémon in the first "Pokémon Power" issue that Nintendo Power made, and I started thinking that the game actually looked like it might be a lot of fun. I grew up playing RPGs, so I was familiar enough with the genre that I knew what I was doing, and I ended up giving lots of advice to everyone else at school. (The biggest annoyance was when people would say, "I fainted a legendary Pokémon and then saved. What should I do?" Seriously, who SAVES after doing something like that!?) I started with Bulbasaur, because it looked the most reliable and seemed like a good backbone around whom to form a team, and I was surprised that no one else in my entire school started with it.

I wanted to keep my main team unevolved, so I leveled them up a lot and gave them good moves to compensate. My team ended up consisting of Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Vulpix, and Poliwag. I managed to figure out some decent strategies, too. My Razor Leaf/Growth/Leech Seed/Substitute Bulbasaur managed to win against several Mewtwo in link battles. o_O (Well, it helped that my Pokémon's levels were in the 90s while the Mewtwo were usually no higher than Lv.73, but whatever.) No one expected the Ice Beam Jigglypuff and Psychic Clefairy, either.

Of course, the newer games still have the same magical feeling as the first ones. I'm not sure what it is about them, but Gold/Silver Crystal, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black 2/White 2 seem to have the most of that "magical feeling," whatever it is. Now that almost everyone in my family is a Pokémon fan, it's even more exciting when a new game comes out.
#43AmesangPosted 11/5/2012 7:50:11 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
Pokémon didn't exist yet when I was a little kid.

coreekymon posted...
I don't remember the first time I played Pokémon. That was like 15 years ago, I'm 20.

This. Except replace "20" with "29," but my memory is just bad overall. All I can say is that I started with "Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition" on the original GameBoy (both of which still work). I also remember being very obsessive compulsive about whom I raised for my in-game team, even to the point that they all had to be at the same level when we defeated the Elite 4 and the Champion.

Oh, God.. now I'm trying to remember that "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" breakfast cereal. I don't think I ever had any of their fruit pies, though. Also, urge to watch "Duck Tales" while sipping on Hi-C Ecto Cooler is rising. I miss my youth. ='(
---
"Help! Help! They've destroyed my cousin's brain!! Oh, my god! They've already milked you, haven't they?!!" -- Phoncible P. Bone
#44ElvesAteMyRamenPosted 11/5/2012 7:54:30 AM
I remember watching the anime before playing the game so it did give me a more thorough understanding of what the game was about. I was about 6 when I recieved my first pokemon game, which was Pokemon Red. I got it from my auntie who lives in America. Needless to say, I'm forever thankful for her pretty much introducing me to one of the best series of games I've ever played.

I remember recieveing the game in the post, and never have I been so quick to play a game. My earlier childhood was pretty much controlled by Sonic. But as soon as Pokemon came out, I was playing the games, collecting cards and stickers, getting up extra early to watch the anime and talking about it at school xD It was mad. I believe I first started with Squirtle. I had no idea about type advantages and stuff until I played Silver and Crystal xD I just collected Pokemon I thought looked cool.. I don't think I managed to beat the game until I grew a little older but it was a feeling of accomplishment when I did, and for the most part, I never really put it down. Only when I had a lack of batteries. It's definitely one of the best games I have ever played, although Yellow was my favourite overall. ^_^
---
GT: iX RaZcaL iX
#45KattrulleNPosted 11/5/2012 7:59:31 AM
I remember my first time, it was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. I got a gbc and pokemon Gold from my grandma, because we were going on a long trip by car. I remember i didnt sleep at all during the trip. I had no idea what to Do though, so i just fought wild pokemon until my starter was.about level 25. The first gym was.a.breeze after that though.
---
Snus.
#46pokemonfreak97Posted 11/5/2012 8:03:48 AM
My first game was Sapphire, and I've played every game since in the main series except White 2 (I only have B2, if I get W2 I'm doing Challenge Mode, just so I can say I did.)
---
Plasmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(whew)
#47wh0_kn0wsPosted 11/5/2012 8:30:10 AM
i'm with ya. i don't really even play much pokemon, but you described exactly what it's like, and how we will remember what it was like to play games for the first time. the best.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#48nintendo_legacyPosted 11/5/2012 8:50:54 AM
I was 6, I got Pokemon Yellow along with my GameBoy Color. It was probably one of the greatest things that I had ever gotten as a gift. I played Pokemon every day, and got excited every time I heard about a new generation.

Back then, it was all about the experience, traveling through a region with 6 friends you met along the way (more if you decide to rotate). I'm still a Pokemon fan to this day, and I'm almost 20.

But like I said, "back then", it was about the experience for everybody. Nowadays...heh...all everybody apparently cares about is EV Training their Pokemon. Well, it's still about the experience for me dang it!
---
"Roxas, that's a stick." - Xion
#49RTC3Posted 11/5/2012 9:02:17 AM
get off my lawn and go back to watching your crappy sports

sports are good for you brah. put down the gameboy and play ball with some friends
---
<3 *Yao Ming* <3http://i.imgur.com/ulNUN.png<3 *Yao Ming* <3
Heat. http://i.imgur.com/zC1gp.jpg Sit down, kid
#50MetaDeDeDePosted 11/5/2012 9:04:50 AM
Well...I EV raised a Butterfree in Platiuim and was slighty pleased.
---
I love and believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it
Iris's Official Future Husband.