This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon you thought was good until competitive battles -.-

#21SilverSockPosted 11/5/2012 12:22:05 AM
Shuckle. Don't know why, but I ****ing loved that thing. It doesn't even look menacing, but for some reason I thought it was amazing. And Pidgeot....I'm still sad he's so bad. Oh, Feraligatr and Pikachu too. What can I say, they were my starters in the first two games I ever played.

I actually DID always think Gengar, Starmie, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Snorlax. and Alakazam were really good. I suppose some of them had their weaker moments in Pokemon history, but I was sort of on the money with those guys.

On the flip side, I used to assume everything that didn't evolve sucked (non-legend, cause as a little kid those guys were all UBER). It still works with some of them, particularly the gimmicky ones, but it's obviously a VERY stupid rule to abide by. Skarmory was my wake-up call to give these guys a chance.
---
I summoned a baby to attract a lion. It didn't seem to work, so I tried a delicious baby.
Regular baby ATE delicious baby. Horror....horror.~Gameplayingperson
#22pies12Posted 11/5/2012 12:22:38 AM
I'm just the guy who always uses SR on wifi because no one carries a spinner.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#23MalkyeaImbak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 1:21:58 AM
I thought pokemon that were hard to level up meant they were automatically badass

Mainly Walrein in that case
#24ZERO2936Posted 11/5/2012 1:33:55 AM
Charizard, big time. Also, Fearow.
---
Official Magnezone of the PMD: Managate and the Infinite Labyrinth Boards
#25wufei8706Posted 11/5/2012 1:35:03 AM
pies12 posted...
I'm just the guy who always uses SR on wifi because no one carries a spinner.

I'm betting you lose a lot too since SR in 3v3 is pretty meaningless.
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but 3v3 is pretty straightforward battling.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3k37dxt http://tinyurl.com/7tt5db2
Okay, so from here on out disagreeing with wufei8706 is against the rules-Error1355
#26Ubergrim3Posted 11/5/2012 2:02:50 AM
To be fair, there are a lot of pokemon in lower tiers that are pretty decent stat-wise and/or movepool-wise, but are either outclassed by a pokemon that does it better, ruined by weather or entry hazards, or just don't have access to those one or two moves that would make them much more viable.

Case in point: Swellow with guts is a fan-freaking-tasticly powerful physical attacker that out-speeds and out-powers MANY pokemon. However, its movepool lacks coverage and it's weak to stealth rock, so it goes in the never-used tier. Is it a bad pokemon? Hellll no. It just lacks in pretty much one key area that holds it back.

I can't really think of a specific pokemon that was in a lower tier than I thought it would be at the moment, however I recently discovered that my favorite pokemon Sandslash was actually much more viable than I thought. Huzzah!
---
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor! - The Professor
GT: xCOLBY JACKx
#27_Snowx_Posted 11/5/2012 2:10:32 AM
Chansey/Blissey.

Setup and Taunt fodder.
#28ChicagoTed_Posted 11/5/2012 3:13:11 AM
Haven' played since Blue. Picked this game up, and read all about competitive battling.

I used this team in Blue when I was 11. Just caught the first one I saw, and raised to 100, fighting random pokes.

Gengar (was my fav at the time)
Alakazam
Jolteon
Dragonite
Blastoise
Arcanine

Now I know differently ;)
---
No Zombie is safe from Chicago Ted
#29DarkHeroRavenPosted 11/5/2012 3:20:48 AM
It's always nice to see when people aren't too stubborn to accept their old favourites just aren't as good as they thought they were.

I was pretty big on Poliwrath as a kid.
---
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
#30PolimarioPosted 11/5/2012 3:26:09 AM
Flareon. Thought the guy was da bomb back in the newb days of RBY.

Then I met the internet and saw its utter hatred of the cute thing. ;_; Don't worry Flareon, I still love ya!

Oh, and Aggron. But Aggron's actually USEABLE, and, when given the opportunity, devestating.
---
http://imgur.com/0MPQs
"Everything ends eventually... and sometimes, you're not sure why." -Mazeka