This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The ability Static makes no sense

#1Chaos_MissilePosted 11/5/2012 2:32:28 AM
Static is derived from "static electricity" and is essentailly conducting electricity through the body. So how the heck does it affect Ground types which are supposed to be IMMUNE to Electric attack? Thunder Wave, which does the same thing, does not work on Ground types, but this ability does? Can electriciy even flow through the ground?

It's like if Flame Body worked on Fire-types, especially those with Flash Fire and Poison Point worked on Poison type.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#2wufei8706Posted 11/5/2012 2:35:03 AM
Logic, pokemon, games, anime, big boobs. Etc
---
http://tinyurl.com/3k37dxt http://tinyurl.com/7tt5db2
Okay, so from here on out disagreeing with wufei8706 is against the rules-Error1355
#3FishyGoodness12Posted 11/5/2012 2:37:55 AM
Do you really think ghost type Pokemon are untouchable?
#4reaverzPosted 11/5/2012 2:38:05 AM
Ground-types aren't actually immune to the status Paralysis, that's why. They can still be Stun Spore'd, Glare'd, Body Slam'd into paralysis, etc. An ability doesn't have a type.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#5Chaos_Missile(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 5:45:10 AM
FishyGoodness12 posted...
Do you really think ghost type Pokemon are untouchable?

Assuming they exist, can you touch a ghost? Normal, Psychic and Figting having their effectiveness against Ghost types are logical.

reaverz posted...
Ground-types aren't actually immune to the status Paralysis, that's why. They can still be Stun Spore'd, Glare'd, Body Slam'd into paralysis, etc. An ability doesn't have a type.

The status, I understand. Its the source of said status that I dont. Thunder Wave also causes Paralysis status, but doest affect Ground types. However, Static, which originates from the same source of electricity the Pokemon use for their electric attacks in the first place, does. And only Electric types get Static.

Stun Spore paralyses through smell and seed, which is logical.
Glare is through fear, which is still logical.
Body Slam..well, breaking the bones in your body can cause paralysis, is also logical.
Static uses electricity to flow through your body. But Ground types are immune to electric attacks period on the cause of being neutral, hence immune, to it.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#6apollooooPosted 11/5/2012 5:47:21 AM
flame body ability is more illogical. magby has it and hides in grass

stop applying logic to pokemon
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#7Chaos GenesisPosted 11/5/2012 6:53:47 AM
I'm going to break my "there is no logic in Pokémon" mantra to give this a crack. The following is head-canon only.

Ground-type Pokémon have an inherent, permanent grounding to the earth, preventing them from being affected by electricity delivered from an external source. So when an attacking Pokémon uses an electric attack (Thunderbolt OR T-Wave), the opponent Ground-type is connected to the earth because they're not moving (let's also pretend that Ground/Flyers and Levitators temporarily land while on the defense).

When a Ground-type attacks, they lose their connection to the earth for that instant. When that happens, they expose their natural conductivity and are open to Paralysis by contact with a Static Pokémon; they interact with the electrical field they generate and have the chance to have their own circuitry compromised, resulting in Paralysis by electric shock.
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/
#8IrisVilePosted 11/5/2012 6:57:22 AM
Chaos Genesis posted...
I'm going to break my "there is no logic in Pokémon" mantra to give this a crack. The following is head-canon only.

Ground-type Pokémon have an inherent, permanent grounding to the earth, preventing them from being affected by electricity delivered from an external source. So when an attacking Pokémon uses an electric attack (Thunderbolt OR T-Wave), the opponent Ground-type is connected to the earth because they're not moving (let's also pretend that Ground/Flyers and Levitators temporarily land while on the defense).

When a Ground-type attacks, they lose their connection to the earth for that instant. When that happens, they expose their natural conductivity and are open to Paralysis by contact with a Static Pokémon; they interact with the electrical field they generate and have the chance to have their own circuitry compromised, resulting in Paralysis by electric shock.

BAM!

Also Pikachu shocked a Rhydon(Aim4DaHORN!) And lets not forget about mighty Pikachu KOing Onix while under the Bind attack.
---
I'm a wench, who vomits her mind.
#9Chaos GenesisPosted 11/5/2012 7:00:05 AM
IrisVile posted...
Chaos Genesis posted...

BAM!

Also Pikachu shocked a Rhydon(Aim4DaHORN!) And lets not forget about mighty Pikachu KOing Onix while under the Bind attack.

Heh, I actually ignored the anime because a) they have weird ideas about battling to begin with (like dodging, which puts a kink into my "grounded to the earth" idea) and b) I've only really seen the first season.
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/
#10gamemaster712Posted 11/5/2012 7:05:28 AM
GF logic...silly player...
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)