This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Doesn't care about competitive battling in Pokemon any more" base

#1xyzmanPosted 11/7/2012 11:50:54 PM
Too many Pokemon, too many moves, too many abilities. Back in GSC era I enjoyed Battle Tower in Crystal, as well as occasional battling on GSBot. Then Gen3 arrived with new EV system and abilities introduction and I wasn't able to keep track of everything any more. Gen 4 Physical/Special split and this lost me for good.

I lurk on Smogon (their articles, like ones pertaining to RNG abuse, are interesting to read sometimes), but once I see the "last night I realised that 15841 EV Fakemon with +1 Speed got to outspeed most XXX Tier pokemon except Tweedledee and Tweedledum" nitpicking, I seriously wonder if these people have got real lives. Of course, we all have our quirks and "thou shalt not judge", so I take back those words, but constantly reading that Pokemon has got no story, and all the fun begins after you get access to competitive features, bothers me a bit. If Game Freak wanted to promote just competitive part of their games, we'd get PO/PS-like simulator with online capabilities and Pokemon generator a long time ago. Instead, they focus on story and different kinds of minigames outside of plain battling.

So, does anyone shares my views and plays Pokemon games just for sake of story, minigames and collecting virtual objects?
---
In vodka veritas
#2pizzaman95Posted 11/7/2012 11:53:58 PM
Put me in the "never cared" base.
---
This is where I sometimes put jokes, references and such.
#3Catcher_FreemanPosted 11/7/2012 11:57:48 PM
too many abilities

There are only 164 abilities...
---
Swagodile's alt.
#4furixPosted 11/8/2012 12:00:24 AM(edited)
Put me in the "It just keeps getting better and better with each new gen and new game" base

Because I don't have a small mind and I am able to learn and adapt.
---
Ichi ni san~
#5SinExDeathPosted 11/8/2012 12:15:39 AM(edited)
pizzaman95 posted...
Put me in the "never cared" base.

This. Though Smogon's individual Pokemon analysis articles make for interesting reference for Battle Facilities.
---
Asketh Ky to Sol, "Heaven or Hell?" and Sol, being of Gear did say "Let's Rock."
Roman Cancels 1:14
#6ParominPosted 11/8/2012 12:08:27 AM(edited)
Instead, they focus on story and different kinds of minigames outside of plain battling.

You mean stuff like the Subway and PWT which has perfect IV and EV Pokemon with decent movesets?

Or the VGCs?

Speaking of the VGCs, they're implementing VGC teams as DLC/semi-DLC for the PWT.

If anything GameFreak's interest in competitive battling is going up. They're not just into the 6v6 Singles Format and other things like the OHKO Clause. But that's really just an issue of differing approaches to the metagame.

What they're not doing is taking away the casual aspect of Pokemon like what simulators are doing. So really if GameFreak makes a simulator or Pokemon generator it'd just be a stupid move on their part. Their games and Nintendo's servers are already capable doing world wide rankings and I'm sure they have some idea of programs like Pokegen or devices like the AR but probably don't really give a crap as long as everything is within game bounds.
---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#7CursePosted 11/8/2012 12:09:45 AM
Gamefreak isn't focusing on the story. And if they are, they need new writers, cause the ones they have suck. Seems to me that Gamefreak is focusing on constantly revising and tweaking the battle system, which has made this level of depth possible. Competitive gameplay is good. It's the reason why Pokemon still has this many players. Sure, catching them all is fun, but raising a pokemon to be the best it can be is the most satisfying part of the game. Without this much focus on the mechanics, this would have just ended up like Digimon World Dawn/Dusk, which probably most people here either forgot about already or never played. Do you want Pokemon to go that route? No? Then you'd better appreciate the many pokemon and many moves and many abilities and the physical and special split and everything that Gamefreak has been doing to make it the best game in the genre.
#8BloodlustSwedenPosted 11/8/2012 12:14:15 AM
Put me in the "Never really cared because of fear that getting into EV's and such will make me never go back to "regular" training + Cares even less now because of the MLG/Elitist mentality that seems to always be present when it comes to Comp.Battling"-group
---
Pokemon White FC: 0218 1584 0189 - Erik
Life is a disease with a larger number of victims than all forms of Cancer put together...
#9Checkmate88Posted 11/8/2012 12:14:18 AM
furix posted...
Put me in the "It just keeps getting better and better with each new gen and new game" base

I have to admit, I didn't care about competitive battling until gen 5.

To me, it looks like things are getting deeper and more balanced over time.
---
The Azure Knights
Kicking helicopters since 4/1/2012
#10LightningHawk90Posted 11/8/2012 12:29:21 AM
You seem to care enough about it to make a topic about it.
---
Pokemon white FC: 0003 4423 2595