This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Doesn't care about competitive battling in Pokemon any more" base

#11xyzman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 1:34:35 AM(edited)
You mean stuff like the Subway and PWT which has perfect IV and EV Pokemon with decent movesets?

Or the VGCs?

Speaking of the VGCs, they're implementing VGC teams as DLC/semi-DLC for the PWT.

Stuff like Subway and PWT is designed to keep people that are interested just in competitive battling on-board. But before you are able to apply your strategy, you have either to grind for perfect pokemon or cheat. So Game Greak just gives you purposes to do that breeding, EV training and alike.

Because I don't have a small mind and I am able to learn and adapt.

Perfect example of elitist mindset as mentioned by a guy above.

Gamefreak isn't focusing on the story. And if they are, they need new writers, cause the ones they have suck. Seems to me that Gamefreak is focusing on constantly revising and tweaking the battle system, which has made this level of depth possible. Competitive gameplay is good. It's the reason why Pokemon still has this many players. Sure, catching them all is fun, but raising a pokemon to be the best it can be is the most satisfying part of the game. Without this much focus on the mechanics, this would have just ended up like Digimon World Dawn/Dusk, which probably most people here either forgot about already or never played. Do you want Pokemon to go that route? No? Then you'd better appreciate the many pokemon and many moves and many abilities and the physical and special split and everything that Gamefreak has been doing to make it the best game in the genre.

Why do you guys even need the games if all you need to do is to keep track of what new is becoming legit. New Pokemon? They are just an object with set of base stats, legal abilities and moves. If someone made a bulletin of all the new changes, you'll be able to battle competitively using only a simulator that implements those changes. Smogon does this quite successfully.
---
In vodka veritas
#12SkyShinryuPosted 11/8/2012 1:34:19 AM
xyzman posted...
Gen 4 Physical/Special split and this lost me for good.

This is my favourite of all the changes. Didn't start competitive until gen 4.
---
3DS FC: 1247-0061-8667
Waiting for: Bravely Default, Ace Attorney 5
#13ParominPosted 11/8/2012 1:43:05 AM(edited)
Stuff like Subway and PWT is designed to keep people that are interested just in competitive battling on-board. But before you are able to apply your strategy, you have either to grind for perfect pokemon or cheat. So Game Greak just gives you purposes to do that breeding, EV training and alike.

Don't see how any of that matters.

GameFreak cares about the competitive side of Pokemon. And one way of them showing it is in the PWT and Subway. Which falls under "minigames"

You're clearly trying to put forward this "only care about what GameFreak cares about" mentality. Except they still care about competitive battling. Just not in the exact same way as communities like Smogon.

If you don't want to care about competitive battling, go right ahead, but don't make up flimsy justifications for it.

If anything what you just posted means you think GameFreak pays attention on both the casual and competitive aspects of Pokemon. Meaning players like you should care about them both if your basis is what GameFreak is "focusing" on

---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#14dwdwdw6Posted 11/8/2012 1:38:27 AM
xyzman posted...
Gen 4 Physical/Special split and this lost me for good.

One of the best changes to happen to Pokemon (might even be the best) lost you for good?
#15CursePosted 11/8/2012 1:39:26 AM
xyzman posted...

Why do you guys even need the games if all you need to do is to keep track of what new is becoming legit. New Pokemon? They are just an object with set of base stats, legal abilities and moves. If someone made a bulletin of all the new changes, you'll be able to battle competitively using only a simulator that implements those changes. Smogon does this quite successfully.

I don't know why you assume that enjoying one side of the game means not enjoying the other one. I don't like the story and I think that the writing is terrible. But I do enjoy the journey and I do enjoy the hunt. But I think that the changes to the game's mechanics are what Gamefreak has been focusing the most on and what makes the series so great. And I think that the competitive community plays a big part in keeping the series alive.
#16Trailblazer34Posted 11/8/2012 2:10:05 AM
Curse posted...
Gamefreak isn't focusing on the story. And if they are, they need new writers, cause the ones they have suck.

quoted for absolute truth
#17xyzman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 2:42:01 AM
If anything what you just posted means you think GameFreak pays attention on both the casual and competitive aspects of Pokemon. Meaning players like you should care about them both if your basis is what GameFreak is "focusing" on

My initial thesis was that Pokemon is not only about competitive battling, contrary to popular opinion. At least, you start to think that way after seeing that most discussions revolve around competitive side of games. Which I don't care at all any more. I am trying to prove the point of games being more than glorified preparation for PWT, Battle Subway (or whatever battle facility there was or will be) and VGC. One good thing about this game series is when you beat a game, you can do plenty of things depending on your mood and interests.

I don't know why you assume that enjoying one side of the game means not enjoying the other one. I don't like the story and I think that the writing is terrible. But I do enjoy the journey and I do enjoy the hunt. But I think that the changes to the game's mechanics are what Gamefreak has been focusing the most on and what makes the series so great. And I think that the competitive community plays a big part in keeping the series alive.

Well, maybe I do misunderstand what the words "I can't wait until I beat the game and start building my team" I hear(read) often do mean. I always thought that people who focus on competitive battling completely ignore all in-game features not related to this particular aspect.

One of the best changes to happen to Pokemon (might even be the best) lost you for good?

I have a job that makes me think hard for like 50-60 hours per week (I am a software developer) so my leisure time mostly consists of activities that don't force me into thinking mode: outdoor sports, movies, handcraft, casual PC/console games. Gen2 metagame was ideal for me, but after that I gave up on trying to remember all the information that is useful for competitive battler. I simply lack the motivation to spend time on this.
Of course, physical/special split improved metagame drastically, as many Pokemon have gained new purposes thanks to moves that suddenly started to complement their stats. But at the same time instead of knowing physical/special division for just types, you now had to learn whether the specific move is special or physical.
Once again, I am speaking just for myself. Everyone have their own reasons to prefer some things and dislike others, so if you think competitive battling is fun, I won't argue. Just wanted to see if there are people who like these games without metagame being thrown into mix.
---
In vodka veritas
#18SephirothtPosted 11/8/2012 2:49:04 AM
But me in the "I only use Smogon for moveset, nature and ability suggestions, but I'm happy with a nature that just doesn't suck and I don't even bother with IV's/EV's unless it randomly generating them in Pokegen to get a certain Hidden Power, cuz I don't do competitive when I like fun more." group. We really need to shorten the name though. XD
---
Officially faved Ninetales on the B2 Board
Retired Executive.
#19styrrrPosted 11/8/2012 2:56:08 AM
Curse posted...
Gamefreak isn't focusing on the story. And if they are, they need new writers, cause the ones they have suck. Seems to me that Gamefreak is focusing on constantly revising and tweaking the battle system, which has made this level of depth possible. Competitive gameplay is good. It's the reason why Pokemon still has this many players. Sure, catching them all is fun, but raising a pokemon to be the best it can be is the most satisfying part of the game. Without this much focus on the mechanics, this would have just ended up like Digimon World Dawn/Dusk, which probably most people here either forgot about already or never played. Do you want Pokemon to go that route? No? Then you'd better appreciate the many pokemon and many moves and many abilities and the physical and special split and everything that Gamefreak has been doing to make it the best game in the genre.

This exactly. Genwunners always forget that the R/B/Y 'metagame' was basically "Psychic Types: Alakazam and Starmie strike back!" With all the changes now present in Gen 5 the flexibility for different team types and builds is incredible, with weather being the big thing recently. In B2/W2 there are quite a few good pokemon along the way you can pick up during the course of the story, although some types do appear later (Ice, Dragon) you can usually get some great 'mons early and there are plenty to pick from. More than ever Gen 5 (in particular B2/W2) gave us tons of options for nearly every type, the added pokemon in 2 was extremely welcome. Eevee in Castelia was an A+ decision by Gamefreak!
#20MugilokoPosted 11/8/2012 3:01:58 AM
Checkmate88 posted...
furix posted...
Put me in the "It just keeps getting better and better with each new gen and new game" base

I have to admit, I didn't care about competitive battling until gen 5.

To me, it looks like things are getting deeper and more balanced over time.

---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" Official Zoroark of the Pokemon boards