This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is gen III still the black sheep of the franchise.

#11Earth_EchidnaPosted 11/8/2012 12:45:47 PM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...
I'd say Gen 4 is now.

Undeserved hate.

Completely deserved hate.

Nope, undeserved. I mean, the Pokemon could be better, but I've been replaying Diamond recently, and Sinnoh is definitely a great region.
---
Pokemon SoulSilver FC: 1335 1407 6427
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand cookies instead! -Official Sandslash of the PMD3 boards
#12Rupin_SalesmanPosted 11/8/2012 12:46:53 PM
Earth_Echidna posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...
I'd say Gen 4 is now.

Undeserved hate.

Nope, undeserved. I mean, the Pokemon could be better, but I've been replaying Diamond recently, and Sinnoh is definitely a great region.

This. I think Gen 4's only weak point was the Pokemon themselves.

Empoleon's my favorite Pokemon of all time, though.
---
Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike.
#13VerxlPosted 11/8/2012 12:50:46 PM
I think the reason 3rd gen was so hated before is because the most recent generation is the one most open to criticism. We don't want to insult our nostalgia, nor the game we're currently playing.

So now that we're in gen V, gen 3 still gets hate, but gen 4 gets random hate too.
---
Black FC: 2881 7444 6262 Black 2 FC: 0390 6615 2986
#14AwesomeMarioPosted 11/8/2012 12:52:14 PM
Sinnoh was kind of boring really, except fr Platinum whch became actually good but not great. And Gen IV had some cool pokemon. Garchomp,Mamoswine,Infernape,Torterra,Empoleon,Lucario,Gliscor,Weavile,Frosslass,Heatran,Shaymin-S,Giratina,Darkrai,Rotom.They were pretty cool IMO.
---
Friend Codes and PSN is in profile
People who think I'm Awesome: 16
#15Dark_EinherjarPosted 11/8/2012 12:52:18 PM
DarkBlueAnt posted...
What was wrong with Gen 3? Was it just the least played? That's kind of expected since it came out after the nostalgia wore off, but before online came into play.

Maybe people were pissed because Gen III had no backwards compatibility - you couldn't bring your Pokémon from Gen I & II to Gen III.
---
Saix: "Kingdom Hearts... where is my heart?"
Kingdom Hearts: "...do I look like a Lost and Found to you? Try a heart transplant center!"
#16ZERO2936Posted 11/8/2012 12:54:17 PM
Earth_Echidna posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...
I'd say Gen 4 is now.

Undeserved hate.

Gen IV felt way too slow to me. The music isn't all that great either in my opinion. I will say that Sinnoh is a good region though.
---
Official Magnezone of the PMD: Managate and the Infinite Labyrinth Boards
#17brawl__08Posted 11/8/2012 12:55:33 PM
Verxl posted...
I think the reason 3rd gen was so hated before is because the most recent generation is the one most open to criticism. We don't want to insult our nostalgia, nor the game we're currently playing.

So now that we're in gen V, gen 3 still gets hate, but gen 4 gets random hate too.

This is mostly the case.

Gen 3 love has increased exponentially, while gen 4 hate has risen just as well.

At this point, gen 3 is in a similar position as gen 2 was, while gen 4 is similar to how gen 3 was a few years ago. And of course, gen 5 is the new gen 4.

This trend was pretty apparent a while back. I told them, but noooooooo, gen 3 hate will never end, they said.
If only I can find that punk who wanted an account bet on this matter, saying if I was wrong, he'd have to close his account, but if I was right, he'd close his account.
---
http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Brawl08.gif
#18EdwardoMario16Posted 11/8/2012 1:08:13 PM
Gen III is the black sheep because it's not connected to anything. Even today it doesn't seem to fit.

It lacks the classic 8-bit factor of Gens 1 and 2, yet lacks the heavy advancement of Gens 4 and 5 and even eliminated a cool feature of Gen 2: Time.

Gen 3 added abilities and EV training, but physical/special moves still ran on type, making several pokemon rather lacking (Gyarados, Dragonite), the bag is limited, and the lack of day/night is a vast step back, not to mention, quite a few pokemon types (Bug, Grass) sucked.

What makes Gen 3 cool though is that Hoenn is a neat region (even with all the water), and the Pokemon are pretty nice too.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
#19GastroidPosted 11/8/2012 1:09:52 PM
Gen III was where the series saw its first major engine change. Gens I and II looked and played almost exactly alike - Gen II was simply Gen I with more content - but Gen III started from scratch and built an entirely new game on a new engine, the remnants of which are still used in Gen V.

Gen III got a lot of the 'black sheep' designation from it being so drastically different from the games that had come before (and from it having no compatibility whatsoever with earlier games, segregating its content at a time where Pokemon had been compatible from one generation to the next). Now that there are more generations based off of Gen III than not, and the franchise has kind of rebuilt itself yet again, is it still the odd one out? Maybe. It still was the most drastic generation change, and the only one to cut off compatibility for it.
---
Achilles Mark II Mechroid
Khaos Spearhead
#20javel34Posted 11/8/2012 1:14:44 PM
brawl__08 posted...
sonofcasbah posted...
DarkBlueAnt posted...
What was wrong with Gen 3? Was it just the least played? That's kind of expected since it came out after the nostalgia wore off, but before online came into play.

trumpets

So no reason at all?

Some things never change with you people.

I didn't like the region that much, but the pokemon were cool.
---
Black2 FC: 0519 5089 8733