This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is gen III still the black sheep of the franchise.

#21P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/8/2012 1:17:34 PM
Earth_Echidna posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...
I'd say Gen 4 is now.

Undeserved hate.

Completely deserved hate.

Nope, undeserved. I mean, the Pokemon could be better, but I've been replaying Diamond recently, and Sinnoh is definitely a great region.

Oh ok, in that case I can see why you like Gen IV. For me personally, I hated Sinnoh; it seemed incredibly tedious and non-linear. And I could go further, but at this point in the conversation it's unwarranted.
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards
#22brawl__08Posted 11/8/2012 1:43:31 PM
and even eliminated a cool feature of Gen 2: Time.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gen 3 added abilities and EV training, but physical/special moves still ran on type, making several pokemon rather lacking (Gyarados, Dragonite),

You could argue that the physical/special split did some harm to certain Pokemon as well (Typhlosion and Sceptile come to mind).

and the lack of day/night is a vast step back,

But it was still there, they just left in the necessities, which is to say, making it possible for Espeon and Umbreon to evolve, as well as other slightly time based activities (Shoal Cave, the Return TM from the man in Pacifidlog, lottery tickets, berries, etc.)

It was essentially the same as it is in gen 5. The stupid restriction on Pokemon (aka time exclusive Pokemon) were nonexistent, and there's also the benefit of no season exclusive Pokemon.

Seriously, time is the worst feature ever. Do all the time lovers hate themselves or something?

not to mention, quite a few pokemon types (Bug, Grass) sucked.

There were some decent ones.

Scizor certainly still worked there, and Breloom, Sceptile, Cradily, Ludicolo, and Venusaur were all still nice.

Though yeah, can't think of too many other good bugs.
---
http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Brawl08.gif
#23kuwab0Posted 11/8/2012 1:46:24 PM
I hate Gen 4's music and pokemon cries.
#24TectonicImprovPosted 11/8/2012 2:05:52 PM
Everyone likes Gen 3 now because the people who started with Gen 3 are old enough to go online now.
---
Yo yo yo 1 4 8 3 to the 3 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ. What up, ******!
Majora's Mask is overrated. People who agree: 23 (PM your opinion, good, or bad.)
#25AuroraSonicBeamPosted 11/8/2012 2:23:38 PM
EdwardoMario16 posted...
Gen III is the black sheep because it's not connected to anything. Even today it doesn't seem to fit.

It lacks the classic 8-bit factor of Gens 1 and 2, yet lacks the heavy advancement of Gens 4 and 5 and even eliminated a cool feature of Gen 2: Time.

Gen 3 added abilities and EV training, but physical/special moves still ran on type, making several pokemon rather lacking (Gyarados, Dragonite), the bag is limited, and the lack of day/night is a vast step back, not to mention, quite a few pokemon types (Bug, Grass) sucked.

What makes Gen 3 cool though is that Hoenn is a neat region (even with all the water), and the Pokemon are pretty nice too.

This
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#26GastroidPosted 11/8/2012 2:31:39 PM
It was essentially the same as it is in gen 5. The stupid restriction on Pokemon (aka time exclusive Pokemon) were nonexistent, and there's also the benefit of no season exclusive Pokemon.

Seriously, time is the worst feature ever. Do all the time lovers hate themselves or something?

I remember, back in the day, spending a week or so trying to catch Phanpy just as soon as I got up, until I had to go to school. They were so hard to catch, and really only available at awkward, inconvenient times.
---
Achilles Mark V Mechroid
Savior of Xavion
#27ZandockPosted 11/8/2012 2:34:34 PM
Gen II is definitely the worst.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Dom/photo00035.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wqTXs.jpg
#28shadowpimpstylePosted 11/8/2012 2:39:42 PM
Gen 3 had great music, memorable characters(Steven, Wallace, Wattson), gave us Abilities, the overhauled EV/IV system for increased Pokemon customization(which confused the crap outta me at first), introduced some of my favorite Pokemon(Salamence, Dusclops, Flygon, Medicham, Aggron).

What hurts it is being the first Pokemon game to come after the beloved G/S/C era, lack of connectivity to the earlier generation, a useless Rival character(no, Wally is NOT a Rival), the overhauled stat system which was unfamiliar to competitive players initially, some Pokemon just made no sense(and a lot are still terrible today), and the water... oh my goodness...THE WATER... Hope you packed lots of repels, or else get used to seeing Pelipper and Tentacool/cruel for the next two hours...
---
I'm on it... Like a hobo on a ham sandwich!
Pokemon Pearl FC: 0688 8425 1815 Name: Pimpus
#29Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/8/2012 2:49:42 PM
Nah, gen 2 is still the black sheep for anyone who has greater design sense than that of a 2 year old.

of course

cool feature of Gen 2: Time.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
---
"[Marlon] shaved [his nipples] off his chest to reduce water resistance when he swims." - HeyWheresKel
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png
#30JunahuPosted 11/8/2012 3:33:49 PM
Gastroid posted...
Gen II was simply Gen I with more content.

Gen 2 introduced all kinds of series staples; Breeding, Hold Items, Gender, Shiny Pokemon, PKRS. And in Japan, Gen 2 allowed trading via mobile phones.
And don't forget that Gen 2 introduced the Steel and Dark types, AND split Special into Sp.Atk and Sp.Def.