This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is gen III still the black sheep of the franchise.

#71GhetsisPosted 11/8/2012 5:53:24 PM
Is gen III still the black sheep of the franchise.

Nah, Gen II seems to be the butt of most jokes here. IV doesn't have as many haters as II, but it has a hilariously low amount of lovers.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/63624649
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#72RainiermanPosted 11/8/2012 6:11:27 PM(edited)
*actually on-topic*

Well I dunno the reason, but Gen 3 is the only one that bores me. I've tried to beat it like... I think exactly 4 times, and I just can't get interested enough in it. And I think the blame for that is split between not finding the evil teams interesting, and the fact that the first half of the game didn't let me form even half a party of pokémon I genuinely liked. The music was ok. I could bear with it, so that wasn't the problem.

And in Gen 4's defense: I find its music amazing because of all its piano arrangements. Easily my favorite soundtrack of them all. So I guess the music is a matter of taste more than it simply just being either good or terrible.
---
Official Rainierman of..! ... eh... Gamefaqs I guess...
#73The_Undying_84Posted 11/8/2012 6:18:56 PM
Dark_Einherjar posted...
DarkBlueAnt posted...
What was wrong with Gen 3? Was it just the least played? That's kind of expected since it came out after the nostalgia wore off, but before online came into play.

Maybe people were pissed because Gen III had no backwards compatibility - you couldn't bring your Pokémon from Gen I & II to Gen III.

This, sort of. The majority of Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon are literally impossible to get in R/S, there were 200 in the Pokedex and 135 of them were new ones. Not sure how much Emerald fixed that, but I disliked R/S enough that I never even considered getting Emerald. Gen 2 only added to Gen 1, Gen 3 took things away, and I hated that.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#74Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/8/2012 6:20:30 PM
Gen 2 only added to Gen 1

gen 2 removed halfway-decent game design for LOL NIGHT AND DAY and LOL BABIES
---
"[Marlon] shaved [his nipples] off his chest to reduce water resistance when he swims." - HeyWheresKel
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png
#75GastroidPosted 11/8/2012 6:23:39 PM(edited)
From: The_Undying_84 | Posted: 11/8/2012 7:18:56 PM | #073
...but I disliked R/S enough that I never even considered getting Emerald.

A shame. I've heard plenty of criticism towards R/S, but Emerald seems to have been widely liked, if only because of its Battle Frontier. Oh, and better font. I loved R/S, but the font in that game... ugh.
---
Syroid
Sy-variant Android
#76AuroraSonicBeamPosted 11/8/2012 6:25:28 PM(edited)
I loved Emerald, easily the best game of Gen 3 and was an even better enhanced remake than Crystal was.
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#77ExiledfmrealityPosted 11/8/2012 6:29:28 PM
Yeah, Emerald was everything that RS (and even FRLG) were not, including an increasing ladder of gym leader rematches, Battle Frontier, orange love box management, ability for "item view" in the boxes, random double battles, a redesigned Route 116 to facilitate egg hatching runs, and a bad RNG that made RNG'ing easier than any other game. Only thing missing was a Vs. Seeker.
---
Platinum FC: 0475 0911 6895 Name: Cassie
Diamond FC: 3266 7471 2175 Name: Judith
#78deathbycookiesPosted 11/8/2012 6:31:26 PM
emerald was my first game and still hasent been topped yet for best pkmn adventure ever
(only hate i have is well...water)
#79360pagesPosted 11/8/2012 6:32:39 PM
I actually enjoyed emerald a lot, I really just dislike R/S.
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
#80brawl__08Posted 11/8/2012 6:40:02 PM(edited)
What are you even talking about, I said anything could happen with the remakes, they didn't sell well but the creator has a soft spot for them.

That's what I'm getting at.

They didn't sell well? Best selling GBA titles, about 13-14 million units sold, not counting Emerald, is bad?

Hell, it's not even the worst if you count remakes. HGSS only got to 11 or 12 million, which I know you'll use as an argument against RS, but I'll just remind you that the DS has sold almost as much as the PS2 whereas the GBA is already largely known as the least selling Nintendo handheld from the Gameboy onwards, so differences in sales of hardware will naturally affect the sales of the games.

76, is't horrible. It's not a 4.0 either. You said half the fan base hates the game, but it still sold well.

You and/or Aurora are mentioning how low gen 3's scores were compared to other games, when RS had like 84s compared to some other games having 88 or something, which makes no sense as a complaint if you're gonna bring up RE6 when RE4 had 90+ scores and RE5 was... well, it was lower, but not as low as RE6. Either be consistent on praising games or just stop.

And games are naturally purchased before fans can make judgement. Of course the sales were good, people had to buy the game to even see if they like it, especially seeing as how options for rentals these days are dwindling.

And something no selling well is a good reason not to remake it, just like the creator liking it is a good reason to remake it.

Do you even know what you're saying? You DO realize that RS didn't sell poorly by any stretch of the imagination, considering the GBA sold 20 or so million less units than the GB/GBC, right?

Oh screw it, you never realize this, no matter how many times I bring it up.

Go compare Mario and Zelda sales between their GB titles and their GBA titles. You WILL notice that the GBA titles sold less, and lack of quality isn't going to function as an excuse for every video game that shares this trait.

No, the reason why they are higher is because there were more games in gen 3 than Gen 2 but Gold/Silver sold more than any of them individually. And btw, the Playstation 2 sold the most systems than any other system, but Super Mario Bros sold more than any of their games how can you explain that going by your logic?

That's missing the point of my "GBA had the lowest sales" thing, but since you covered that with faulty reasoning, I'll respond with this to your example:

Super Mario bros was bundled with the NES. Duh? Did you seriously not know this?

Man, this was almost too easy. You guys are either holding back or you aren't a challenge at all.

Oh yeah, and Wii Sports is the best selling game of all time. The logic of a certain individual who lacks common sense dictates that, because it's the best selling game, it's the most popular and has the greatest fan reception, thus it's a very high quality title and probably better than every other game ever.
---
http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Brawl08.gif