This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Gamefreak break compatibility next gen?

#41ClassyOldHatPosted 11/9/2012 3:26:03 PM
While I think the idea that Gamefreak would actually start caring about making a balanced game during a compatibility cutoff is pretty unlikely, (and kind of unnecessary; they've been able to change the function and stats of moves, abilities and items within games of the same generation. If they wanted to start balancing things they could easily change base stats and typing imbalances right now) I probably wouldn't object too much. Unless we ran into the same problem that R/S did.

If they don't find a way to fit ALL pokemon into two games after a compatibility cutoff, the rage will be a lot more justified, one; because many favorites would be difficult/impossible to obtain, and two; because that would mean they'd likely spread spread the pokedex out across five portable games and two console games just like gen three.
#42MileRunPosted 11/9/2012 8:56:28 PM(edited)
Vycoul posted...
I don't see why everyone thinks reworking IVs and base stats absolutely requires severing backwards compatibility.

What the heck would keep GF from making it so the Pokemon from older generations just kept their broken, horribly flawed IVs when transferred over? Same with base stats.
I'm no expert in coding or whatever, but I don't see the big deal.

That wouldn't work at all from a programming standpoint. You'd need two separate systems to keep track of old format Pokemon and new format Pokemon, as well as a way to reconcile them when breeding, leveling up, and so forth. It's just horribly impractical.
---
I claim to be the official Porygon2 of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
Scientist MileRun: WaRy associate
#43TyranidomegaPosted 11/9/2012 8:59:00 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
When people discovered that Ruby and Sapphire were incompatible with Gold and Silver, many people were enraged. But at the same time, the lack of compatibility allowed for them to change the game in many ways and was a breath of fresh air for the series. They were able to add abilities and natures, and give Sp.A and Sp.D their own IVs/EVs.

If they were to break compatibility, they would be able to add things like new stats, a changed battle system, or maybe many other things. They could also fix some of the series problems. Stealth Rock broken? Just give it to less Pokemon or get rid of it, and don't worry about people importing the move. A fan favorite kind of sucks? Just give it whole new stats!

Woah...did I just see the Gen 5 starters possibly getting good?
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#44BikdipOnABusPosted 11/9/2012 9:01:17 PM
Honestly, I kinda wish that every generation was incompatible with the last. I like starting from scratch, and when everyone just imports a gigantic collection from their older games, it makes the new ones seem kinda meaningless.

I dunno. I'd like to see a reboot with some seriously rehauled mechanics with IVs and stuff.
---
If you actively hate Justin Bieber... then you don't know what "intended audience" means. Hate Twilight instead, it's far worse.
#45Brandon042487Posted 11/9/2012 9:13:35 PM
Sure, love to see them take what they have and fine tune stats, move sets, abilities, ect.

But not make remakes but instead make a new region using old starters, I mean who's to say the starters that wete introduced in each new region are the exclusive starters for that region. Be kinda cool they released a new gen and the 3 to choose frpm were the Kanto starters.
---
Alabama University, 9-0
Roll Tide!
#46SnoogleDumplingPosted 11/9/2012 9:16:01 PM
I would love to see this just because of the rage it would induce the fanbase. Seriously it would be hilarious to see all the rage of people who get attached to their pokemon as if they're actual pets, and also those elitists who think they're so amazing because they legit breed everything.
#47Capitan_KidPosted 11/9/2012 9:20:04 PM
HydroDragon posted...
Charizard doesn't suck because of its stats. It actually has fairly decent stats. And they already improved it by giving it Solar Power. It's bad because of its typing. But it doesn't need to change, it's fine as it is. It just isn't a top tier pokemon and shouldn't feel forced to be one. Nobody asks for Blastoise to be improved in this way, Charizard deserves no special treatment.

Thats because Blastoise is one of the strongest pokemon
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#48The_DeskPosted 11/9/2012 9:43:23 PM
It depends on what benefits came for it. if it's just minor things then no, but if it's a total over haul that adds a lot then maybe.