This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only reason gen 3 gets so much hate is...

#21scraadinPosted 11/11/2012 7:34:09 PM
Gen 3's always been solid. Not bad games. It just got a whole lot of flack for not being Gen 2. Suddenly a whole bunch of awesome features got the chop.

-No more day/night/week
-No backwards compatibility
-No additional regions
-Almost half of the Pokemon were completely unavailable for most of the gen

And that last one was the big point. You couldn't get most of the Gen1 or 2 Pokemon without a cheat device for a very long time. The other three points were just heightened expectations, and there were reasons not to have them in effect. The final one was an actual problem.
---
"There is no overkill. There is only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload."
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates-schlockmercenary
#22MaetchPosted 11/11/2012 7:47:07 PM(edited)
They had to make seven whole games (two of them remakes, two of them spin-off RPGs on the GameCube) to make every Pokemon available. It was a very expensive time to be a Pokemon fan, for certain, which is probably why the fans felt polarized by Gen3.
#23mithos08Posted 11/11/2012 8:09:43 PM
Swampert and Lati /thread.

Nuff said. Best pokemon evah
---
-Love is a brand of egoism that ignores the feelings of its mark while insisting on its own selfish demands.
-Hail to Lord Yggdrasil!
#24boring_namePosted 11/11/2012 8:34:32 PM
scraadin posted...
Gen 3's always been solid. Not bad games. It just got a whole lot of flack for not being Gen 2. Suddenly a whole bunch of awesome features got the chop.

-No more day/night/week
-No backwards compatibility
-No additional regions
-Almost half of the Pokemon were completely unavailable for most of the gen

And that last one was the big point. You couldn't get most of the Gen1 or 2 Pokemon without a cheat device for a very long time. The other three points were just heightened expectations, and there were reasons not to have them in effect. The final one was an actual problem.

Not to mention the region that was available was sub-par, in my opinion. About a third of the entire region is just water, much more boring than the Kanto and Johto regions.
#25helldewPosted 11/11/2012 8:35:30 PM
Gen3 wasnt bad it just wasnt as good as the best of the other gens. that said it was still pretty damn solid. i find length wise is felt really short and almost like it should have had another region to.

my pokemon at the end of gen 3 were not even cracking the 50s. almost all of them were 45-50 and considering it has no postgame yeah...

in black1 at the end of the post game my dudes were like 60-70 while in White 2 my final party is all over level 80. even in fire red and leaf green my dudes were around 55-65. red and blue was slightly less more around the high 50 low 60ss and G/S was simlar to red and blue with the league being ever so slightly weaker then the league in R/S/E whcih is sad cause thats the half way point in the game

My point is Gen3 feels like there should have been much more to the game maybe not another region but even something like that island in sinnoh just something to extend the game.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#26Meta289Posted 11/11/2012 8:37:31 PM
Gen 3 gets hate from me just because it introduced the abomination known as Blaziken.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
The Pokemon Cycle. Don't deny its existence.
#27wind64aPosted 11/11/2012 8:41:23 PM
Gen III didn't just introduce Flannery. It had plenty of male eye candy too. Steven, Brawley,Team Aqua Grunt M, and Norman. Naturally Steven's still at the top of that list though.

I started on Gen I and like gen III.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
Strifehart is my OTP. FC: 4170-0917-6393 services performed at BSC: 1 Riley's Boyfriend on the BW2 boards.
#28TaxnogsiaPosted 11/11/2012 8:56:37 PM
I think it's really great. Gen III is probably one of my favourite ones and I don't think it gets so much hate.

Am I the only one here who would love to see a Gen III remake using Gen V game system? Hopefully we will get it the next year :)
---
Taxnogsia.-
Muse is my religion.
#29Deathsword00Posted 11/11/2012 9:28:08 PM
The only reason Gen III gets so much praise is because the majority of Gamefaqs, and the internet at large for that matter, is made up of teenagers who had their first Pokemon experience with one of those games.

While I don't strongly dislike the games, I believe they are quite inferior to Gen I, II or even FRLG. The excessive surfing, the Pokemon design, and the general lack of creativity mar those games greatly. While I admit nostalgia may be playing a role for me, as it does with the teenagers out there, I do believe that Gens IV and V feel more like the older games in a good way and have improved significantly on the original formula. There are just a number of things that flat out aren't good about Gen III, in my opinion.
---
wut
#30DesulatedPosted 11/11/2012 9:29:14 PM
Doesn't the newest gen always garner enough hate to burn down entire forests overnight? Then people like it probably because of nostalgia.
---
"Command and Conquer 4 and Red Alert 3 sucking is the fault of Westwood."-Gaming King
Auto heal is a gimmick for amateurs.