This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EVs explained! PLEASE READ!

#51GalladetheGreatPosted 11/16/2012 8:44:58 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#52Richman80Posted 11/16/2012 10:03:36 PMmessage detail(edited)
Can I add a link here ?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_effort_value_yield

^ Some Pokemon give different EV points (1-3). That link from bulbapedia has a list of Pokemon with their EV yield.
---
Pokemon White : 0390-4869-3852
Wario Ware D.I.Y. DS Code : 5028-0921-1339
#53SuperbreederPosted 11/22/2012 12:27:30 PMmessage detail
jayman7 posted...
Thanks. For sake of completeness, I'll add their suggestions into my FAQ, but the link gives more detail to anyone wondering.

You may also want to add that one mechanic that changed between Black/White and Black 2/White 2 is that EVs are added to the Pokémon's stats before their Exp. Points are added. As a result, if a Pokémon levels up, the new stats reflect the new EVs. I'm pretty sure this is true. I'll stick with it until I'm disproven.

In Black & White, the way it works is more complex. From what I could tell, if the Pokémon levels up once, the new stats do not reflect the new EVs. However, if the Pokémon gained additional levels, the new EVs would be reflected in the subsequent stats. Otherwise, they are always added at the end of the battle if they have not been added already.
#54jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 2:07:42 PMmessage detail
Superbreeder posted...
You may also want to add that one mechanic that changed between Black/White and Black 2/White 2 is that EVs are added to the Pokémon's stats before their Exp. Points are added. As a result, if a Pokémon levels up, the new stats reflect the new EVs. I'm pretty sure this is true. I'll stick with it until I'm disproven.

In Black & White, the way it works is more complex. From what I could tell, if the Pokémon levels up once, the new stats do not reflect the new EVs. However, if the Pokémon gained additional levels, the new EVs would be reflected in the subsequent stats. Otherwise, they are always added at the end of the battle if they have not been added already.

1. I can't edit the original posts at this point without making a new topic.

2. I actually kind of doubt the BW1 part of that is true without testing it. And it would be difficult to test anyway; you'd need to be at the cusp of a stat increase due to EV gain that's noticeable at both of the next two levels in a row, and fight something that gives enough EXP to make you level up twice. Those are really darned specific requirements. Remember, 4 EVs won't show up as one stat point all the time, especially not at lower levels - heck, only half the time at level 50! And once your level is in the 90s, what can you possibly fight that will make you level up twice??!

3. Even if this is true, it's minor enough that I'd not put it in the FAQ.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#55pokemon2pokerPosted 11/23/2012 4:28:48 AMmessage detail
Lucario broke my teeth :(
---
My face flashing crimson from the fires of hell
Know where to run before there's nowhere to run
#56SilentdazePosted 11/23/2012 9:39:15 AMmessage detail
Completely new to this, but interested.

So if I ignore EVs until my main pokemon are well into leave 80 (which I have...), is there any way to get an idea of what stats might have more EV than the others. How would I know if one is close to maxing out?
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727 (Mario Kart 7)
#57jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 3:11:13 PMmessage detail
Silentdaze posted...
Completely new to this, but interested.

So if I ignore EVs until my main pokemon are well into leave 80 (which I have...), is there any way to get an idea of what stats might have more EV than the others. How would I know if one is close to maxing out?

Generally speaking? Not without knowing your IVs. And by level 80, you'll usually have maxed your EVs anyway and would need to use services to reset them if you actually want to control them.
---
#58face235Posted 11/26/2012 7:30:09 AMmessage detail
face235 posted...
What about the EVs you can get in Join Avenue? Some of the descriptions are quite vague.

I hate wuoting myself, but my podt was lost among those useless bumps.
---
{aB} Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3311-2393-4069
#59jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 2:14:09 PMmessage detail
face235 posted...
face235 posted...
What about the EVs you can get in Join Avenue? Some of the descriptions are quite vague.

I hate wuoting myself, but my podt was lost among those useless bumps.

Which ones are vague? Did you look at the Serebii page I linked?
---
#60lighting_deityPosted 11/28/2012 3:16:58 AMmessage detail
GalladetheGreat posted...
There's really no point to bumping it.

so, nothing i do has a point but that does not stop.
---
if life gives you melons, you are probably dyslexic