This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EVs explained! PLEASE READ!

#61pokeman4512Posted 11/28/2012 6:04:45 PMmessage detail
This kinda reminds me of something I've heard before:
Say I'm battling a Pokémon with a high HP base stat, and I level up after defeating it. My HP will increase more than usual in that level up due to the enemy Pokémon having a high HP base stat. Is this the same as EVs, or I am talking about something different?
---
Black 2 FC: 5115-1288-1963
P.M. me if you want to add me.
#62jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 12:01:48 AMmessage detail(edited)
pokeman4512 posted...
This kinda reminds me of something I've heard before:
Say I'm battling a Pokémon with a high HP base stat, and I level up after defeating it. My HP will increase more than usual in that level up due to the enemy Pokémon having a high HP base stat. Is this the same as EVs, or I am talking about something different?

In the third or fourth gen, yes, that's due to EVs. In the first and second gen, it's more-or-less the same thing as EVs, but not quite.

In the fifth gen, the scenario you posit would not happen (at least not the way you state it); that's because the EVs are added to your stats immediately rather than at level-up, so the LPN you're looking at will not be significantly affected by EVs (which means nothing to the Pokemon itself, actually; the HP stat actually would be increasing, just silently.)

Note, BTW, that you'd have to fight a LOT of Pokemon that give HP EVs (which has a lot of overlap with Pokemon that have high natural HP); just one won't cut it.

That said, HP is calculated differently than the other stats such that you will always see at least a +1 LPN for HP in all generations for all Pokemon (it's not uncommon to see +0 for the other stats), and the HP stat will usually (but not always) be higher than the other stats post-calculation anyway.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#63Ampgirl78Posted 11/29/2012 11:18:43 PMmessage detail
This is pretty confusing and all, but it helped a lot. I never even knew EVs existed until recently.
---
March to the beat!
#64GalladetheGreatPosted 12/6/2012 4:05:54 PMmessage detail
Ampgirl78 posted...
This is pretty confusing and all, but it helped a lot. I never even knew EVs existed until recently.

Great. I'm glad this is stickied, if it's truly helping people.
---
glladgrat
Don't get mad, get gllad.
#65Karl MarxPosted 12/25/2012 10:37:49 AMmessage detail
Basculin gives 2 speed ev not 1. Screwed up my training, thanks!
---
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960552237 PSN: DrDres White FC: 0046 3634 6780
#66jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2012 5:56:23 PMmessage detail
Karl Marx posted...
Basculin gives 2 speed ev not 1. Screwed up my training, thanks!

Yes, that's been established. I can't fix it at this point without creating a new topic. Sorry!
---
#67Ninja_NemususPosted 12/25/2012 8:17:20 PMmessage detail
Do you get EV's from the PWT or the Battle Subway?
#68jayman7(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 9:36:20 AMmessage detail
Not to my knowledge. EVs are received with EXP (or, at level 100, when you would normally get EXP), and you don't get EXP in those areas. And due to the nature of the PWT and Subway, it would be best to EV train before entering them anyway if you're going to.

I think you probably get EVs in Black Tower and White Treehollow - you do get EXP, after all.
---
#69GalladetheGreatPosted 12/26/2012 2:59:57 PMmessage detail
jayman7 posted...
Not to my knowledge. EVs are received with EXP (or, at level 100, when you would normally get EXP), and you don't get EXP in those areas. And due to the nature of the PWT and Subway, it would be best to EV train before entering them anyway if you're going to.

I think you probably get EVs in Black Tower and White Treehollow - you do get EXP, after all.

I'm almost positive that you do.
---
glladgrat
Don't get mad, get gllad.
#70DTrain5742Posted 12/28/2012 8:31:22 AMmessage detail
Great guide! I just noticed one small mistake which could be important. Basculin give 2 speed EVs for each one defeated, rather than 1 as it says im your guide. Just letting you know as this could lead some people astray.
---
BW Friend Code: 2322 5463 0449