This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald get hate.

#11WolfJouninPosted 11/15/2012 4:18:09 AM
There wasn't a single thing I disliked about Gen 3. I also think everyone overrates Gen 2 because of 16 gyms. Improved mechanics aside, I dislike Gen 4 the most, because of the french battle music, overall music (except some gems like Cynthia's themes), and Bidoof. Flame shield on.
---
Everything in life is a battle. Even peace itself is a battle to maintain it.
#12pizzaman95Posted 11/15/2012 4:22:50 AM(edited)
There wasn't a single thing I disliked about Gen 3.

So Gen. 3 is flawless? You would give them a ten out of ten? You believe they're the best games ever?

If not, there's something you disliked in them.
---
This is where I sometimes put jokes, references and such.
#13MugilokoPosted 11/15/2012 4:24:17 AM
Too much water bro.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" Official Zoroark of the Pokemon boards
#14WolfJouninPosted 11/15/2012 4:35:38 AM
pizzaman95 posted...
There wasn't a single thing I disliked about Gen 3.

So Gen. 3 is flawless? You would give them a ten out of ten? You believe they're the best games ever?

If not, there's something you disliked in them.

No, there isn't anything I disliked about it significantly or that was exclusive to it. Anything I did dislike about it exists in every other gen (such as requiring trading for some evolutions, but that is nit picking), so while there are things I do dislike, it isn't specifically targeted to Gen 3. You don't have to believe something is the best game ever to give it a 10 out of 10. Considering it is still a great and playable game, given the outdated mechanics and being really old, it was not only a great game for its time, but it still is. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 for its time, but an 8 out of 10 by today's standards.
---
#15pizzaman95Posted 11/15/2012 4:41:28 AM(edited)
You don't have to believe something is the best game ever to give it a 10 out of 10.

...Yes you do, that's the highest score on the scale without breaking it. If it was the best of the best, it would have to be ten out of ten by definition.

That said, I see no problems with the rest of your post. Mind you, I don't see a ten score as "literally flawless". I reserve that for a eleven out of ten.

EDIT: To explain the last part of my post, I believe there's no such thing as perfection in most things. So an eleven out of ten would never be given.
---
#16WolfJouninPosted 11/15/2012 5:05:17 AM(edited)
pizzaman95 posted...
You don't have to believe something is the best game ever to give it a 10 out of 10.

...Yes you do, that's the highest score on the scale without breaking it. If it was the best of the best, it would have to be ten out of ten by definition.

That said, I see no problems with the rest of your post. Mind you, I don't see a ten score as "literally flawless". I reserve that for a eleven out of ten.

EDIT: To explain the last part of my post, I believe there's no such thing as perfection in most things. So an eleven out of ten would never be given.

That's a matter of opinion, and I can understand why you think that. I do agree that a 10 out of 10 should be a game that is among the best in its genre (though not the best game ever, even if just for its genre), and that is why I said 3rd gen was definitely one for its time, though today there are better options, but not because gen 3 is bad. I do agree that most games have some flaws here and there, but typically a great game significantly overshadows them. For example, I'm not gonna drop the score of a Pokemon game, because I have to have a slot for an HM user sometimes, because the game goes above and beyond in other regards, such as team customization.
---
#17vchu8Posted 11/15/2012 5:05:47 AM
I disliked how they removed Night/Day, made the effects of Time less noticeable (even only having what, two clocks in the entire game?), and I dislike Team Magma/Aqua. I also resent them a bit for starting the whole "evil team wants a legendary Pokemon" thing in the games.

I don't actually hate R/S/E though, but they just felt somewhat scaled back in the jump to a new generation. I also felt R/S didn't really have enough of a postgame, but Emerald pretty much fixed that issue I had.
#18analyticalkeysPosted 11/15/2012 5:06:41 AM
Many of the other reasons are passable and can be easily upgraded if a remake is designed, but the astounding amount of water routes is ridiculous; especially coupled with the fact that they all have similar Pokemon and trainers.
---
Pokemon Black 2 Code: [ScottyJ ] 2838-8164-4143
#19pizzaman95Posted 11/15/2012 5:10:48 AM(edited)
I feel that ten out of ten games remain that way, as I consider them games that just by their high quality will stand the test of time.

That's just my opinion though, and I won't argue with yours.
---
#20AmarudoPosted 11/15/2012 5:11:11 AM
As much as I love water IRL, these games had waaaay too much of it. I've always disliked Surfing routes in any Pokemon game (heck, Undella Bay<>Seaside Cave<>Route 21 in B/W 2 was enough for me), and though I understand its inclusion, importance, and significance (especially in R/S/E) to the series, having to traverse large stretches of water for the latter part of the game with minimal land docking is just dull and not fun at all and I'm glad GF rectified this in the Gen 4 and 5 games.

Not to mention dat Dive. Ugh.