This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald get hate.

#111KajagogoPosted 11/15/2012 2:51:59 PM
It's not just the water, its the way they all cluster together, so it's hard to what route you are actually one and where you are. Plus you can't really train your fire and ice types anymore.

If they wanted a lot of water, it should have been mid- game, and have Mossdeep and Sootopolis in between two bigger islands. with the final two gyms on the second island. I think that layout would have been a little better.
#112evillockePosted 11/15/2012 3:27:42 PM
Therian topic.
---
Offical Breloom of all pokemon boards.
R.I.P Final fantasy: March 2003.
#113kevbo2040Posted 11/15/2012 4:42:08 PM
I picked the PokeNav, because I truly did hate that utterly useless thing (it became marginally more helpful in Emerald when it allowed you to re-challenge trainers), but one of the biggest things I disliked was the evil Teams. Team Magma and Team Aqua were just really...dumb, to me. The only team worse than them was Team PETA-er, I mean Team Plasma, from Black and White.
#114TehTrumpCardPosted 11/15/2012 4:42:36 PM
Well on top of all of the above listed reasons (all of which I agree with except for the last two), you forgot the most important one. The PokeDex.

R/B had the coding for all 384 yet they weren't all available without the use of later games and/or cheats. What was the point of having them if they were literally unattainable? It's not like with Gen 4 and Gen 5 where there was a way to get older Pokes onto the console (Poketransfer and Dream World).

To top it off the made Ho-oh and Lugia, cover legendaries into Event Pokemon. What was the purpose for that? People have to go to an event site to get an area TrollFreak could've made available on the game.

They made sure on Emerald you could have Groudon and Kyorge after you beat the main game and even gave you access Sky Pillar pre-E4 (granted the Sootopolis event is active/resolved).

The Johto starter requirements. You need to catch 200 Pokemon. This wouldn't be a problem if the game wasn't depending on you to have another Pokemon cartridge. Without trading or cheating it is impossible to have 200 Pokemon caught on Emerald. Mind you you need to catch 200 Pokemon not one but three times to complete the Dex. (The reason why I stopped trying to complete the Dex.)

Milotic. The requirements for unlocking it prior to the Prism Scale were absolutely absurd. Not even mentioning that only 4 blocks of water actually have Feebas.

---

Braille. Braille is a way for the blind to read. I'm playing a video game. Why am I reading braille? I'm pretty sure I can't feel the dots on the screen. An even bigger slap in the face is that in Gen 2 they'd already established Unown as the language for the Ancient civilizations.

---

Contest. A nice concept if only the contest Pokemon didn't have to sometimes sacrifice their battle moves.

---

Brendan/May. Your rival is battling you all throughout the game then you get to Lilycove and they quit. Never to be seen again (unless you go home/beat the League) and they get replaced with Wally who you hardly ever meet?

---

Scott and the Frontier. I actually hate half of the frontier because half of it is more luck based than random/skill based (Battle Palace, Battle Pike, the unbalanced Gen 3 Battle Factory). The whole Open Level thing is annoying too because you're Pokemon don't get scaled down to play the level 50 which means if you're using a level 51 Pokemon they have to play Open Level mode and get thrashed by Level 100s.

But even worse is that Scott guy who does a really terrible job of trying to be a subplot character all he does is comment on your battling, never giving you anything and always showing up in the most random places without giving any advice and only commenting about Magma/Aqua once. I feel likes he's just in the way the same way Prof. Birch is just in the way. He seems like more of a character in the anime though I will admit.
---
"Set your dreams high, and make them come true. You can aim higher than this, much higher!"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#115TherianReturns(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 4:45:20 PM
That's what "other" is for, TehTrumpCard.

And with this, I am understanding why Hoenn is not very popular among some people. We'll just wait and see what the future holds. (:
---
Let me make this crystal clear; Ruby and Sapphire remakes are coming this generation (gen 5). Get the hell over it.
#116TherianReturns(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 4:46:52 PM
And the water remains a strong turn off of these games. Constant surfing and water exploring do lots to people, I guess.
---
Let me make this crystal clear; Ruby and Sapphire remakes are coming this generation (gen 5). Get the hell over it.
#117ZERO2936Posted 11/15/2012 4:49:06 PM
Well I voted Pokenav, but I don't really mind that either. None of these things I really had an issue with.
---
Official Magnezone of the PMD: Managate and the Infinite Labyrinth Boards
#118MaetchPosted 11/15/2012 4:50:41 PM(edited)
TehTrumpCard posted...
To top it off the made Ho-oh and Lugia, cover legendaries into Event Pokemon. What was the purpose for that? People have to go to an event site to get an area TrollFreak could've made available on the game.

The other option being that you pay extra for a GameCube, transfer cable, and both spin-off RPGs just to get those two birds.
#119360pagesPosted 11/15/2012 5:00:22 PM
You need a minimum of 5 games in gen 3 to catch them. R/S Emerald is missing to many exclusives. Fire red or Leaf green. You don't need both if you're smart.

You needed XD and Collosium for the birds and some jhoto pokemon.
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
#120roo10158Posted 11/15/2012 5:18:54 PM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
people hate gen 3 because they're nostalgiaing over the utter trash known as gen 2 and they can't accept gen 3 had game design that wasn't half-assed rehash tier

Gen IV is trash. Not II
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA