This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Victini Event

#221yzmanPosted 11/18/2012 3:02:01 PM
yzman posted...
Also to put my 2 cents in, of course hacking is cheating. Regardless of whether the community cares whether you do it, it is still "cheating". The ends does not justify the means. You can't stay its not cheating just because a person COULD get to it with normal operation.

Using that argument, you can justify almost ANYTHING.

Well officer I didn't really steal this car, I mean did I take it? Yes. But I could have afforded it.

Teacher I didn't cheat on this exam, I mean I got an answer that anyone that studied for the exam could have gotten, I just happen to have copied it out of a solution manual.

I won the lottery. I mean everyone has the chance of winning the lottery. So what if I rigged it so my numbers were called? Anyone else could have had that number combination too. I just saved time. I didn't do anything that anyone else could not have done.

etc
etc.

I personally don't care if people hack but to try to call it not cheating is silly. Especially for the reason that they are "not doing anything that someone couldn't normally do". Yes you are, you are getting something in the fraction of the time that someone that genuinely plays the game would take to do it. Defend hacking all you want. Continue hacking for all I care, but don't try to reason that it isn't cheating because "you aren't doing anything outside the normal means". Its a faulty argument.

People that compare real life to a video game need to go outside more often.

Way to miss the point...completely.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#222shadowpimpstylePosted 11/18/2012 3:29:51 PM
You guys might as well stop with this argument. The pro-hackingRNG(yes, they are the same) side of things are just like professional cyclists-- they all use performance enhancers "to save time," and thus have developed a culture where its okay for them to do that. They are so indoctrinated that they see nothing wrong with hooking their game up to an external device to get the results they feel they deserve. Their competitive perfection argument is sullied by a few zealots who feel that they need to impose this train of thought on the actual cart-based games and tournaments. They look down upon anyone who refuses to do so as either noobs or moralistic idiots.

On the flip side, we have the anti-hacking group. These guys feel that the other side is impinging upon their right to play a game free of hacking and (while not impossible, but highly unlikely without outside help) "perfect" Pokemon and Hidden Power everything. While they have the official tournament rules backing them, the fact that it is virtually impossible to determine a perfectly done hack(or RNG'd poke) from a non-sav'd/RNG'd mon, means they will never be free of hacks invading the actual cart-based games. They are hindered by newbies and overzealous moralists who constantly whine and argue with people in the first group(who couldn't care less about what they think, as long as Nintendo/GameFreak takes no action against them).

What both groups need to realize is that they are both right and wrong at the same time. Without hackers, many of the hidden game mechanics would still be a mystery to majority of the competitive base. Things like IVs/EVs/Breeding/how Hidden Power is determined would still be unknown to us. By that same token, having a 31 IV isn't as important as a lot of people make it seem(unless we're talking speed). A few extra points here or there doesn't usually make a huge difference if your strategy is sound. Also, the IV system was meant to be a way of promoting variety among Pokemon, even those of the same species. The idea was that no two Tyranitar were supposed to have the same stats, encouraging players to utilize different strategies and movesets... Of course, with everyone just plugging numbers into a machine, this has evaporated as everyone has the same old cookie cutter spreads and movesets, turning this system into a reviled one as the OCD-infected masses demands nothing but absolute perfection for their mons

This is the world of competitive Pokemon now. You either 'Sav/RNG your team(and still lose to better players, because even with perfect stats, you still suck) or you don't(and lose, but now you have a scapegoat for your ineptitude at the metagame).

Lol Pokemon players.
#223lord_chaoPosted 11/18/2012 3:57:31 PM(edited)
yzman posted...
yzman posted...
Also to put my 2 cents in, of course hacking is cheating. Regardless of whether the community cares whether you do it, it is still "cheating". The ends does not justify the means. You can't stay its not cheating just because a person COULD get to it with normal operation.

Well officer I didn't really steal this car, I mean did I take it? Yes. But I could have afforded it.

Teacher I didn't cheat on this exam, I mean I got an answer that anyone that studied for the exam could have gotten, I just happen to have copied it out of a solution manual.

I won the lottery. I mean everyone has the chance of winning the lottery. So what if I rigged it so my numbers were called? Anyone else could have had that number combination too. I just saved time. I didn't do anything that anyone else could not have done.

etc
etc.

I personally don't care if people hack but to try to call it not cheating is silly. Especially for the reason that they are "not doing anything that someone couldn't normally do". Yes you are, you are getting something in the fraction of the time that someone that genuinely plays the game would take to do it. Defend hacking all you want. Continue hacking for all I care, but don't try to reason that it isn't cheating because "you aren't doing anything outside the normal means". Its a faulty argument.

Not really, especially in the case of the exams.
With pokemon, if I'm caught cheating, the worst case scenario is that I'm disqualified( if I'm at a tournamen) and/or a 22 page thread on gamefaqs.

With real-life cheating, I'm screwing myself out of a potential job position. And the more professional the job, the more severe the drawbacks will be if I do manage to successfully cheat my way towards the job. (i.e. if I cheat my way towards being a doctor, that obviously won't end well because then now the risk of killing someone is there)
The car example is a bad one too, because you neglect to mention that someone isn't being payed for their hard work on the car. You're also comparing theft to cheating.

The lottery one would have also been a decent argument if it weren't for the fact that you put "I just saved time" in it, which implies that there's any way possible of being able to increase your chances of winning(aside from buying more lottery tickets, but that isn't time-consuming. It's just money-consuming) through tedious work. Not to mention, "So what if I rigged it so my numbers were called?" further implies that you cheated someone else out of their winning ticket number. I don't think there's a way to cheat someone out of being able to get a super-rare and valuable pokemon.

And before you say it: No, I'm not saying hacking isn't cheating, I'm just saying your real-life comparisons are bad.
---
How I feel when people are against features being added to a game or something needs to be nerfed because its not realistic enough: http://i.imgur.com/0Dqiu.jpg
#224tsunamisurfer08Posted 11/18/2012 3:55:22 PM
yzman posted...
yzman posted...

etc
etc.

No, I see your point. And it's stupid. You simply cannot compare real life to a god damned video game. That's like saying anyone who plays Grand Theft Auto will go out and steal cars if given the opportunity. How someone behaves in a game does not mean that they'd make those same kinds of choices outside of it.
---
However history remembers me, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
#225reaverzPosted 11/18/2012 3:59:43 PM
Hey Serebii, are you absolutely sure that this Victini is locked into a Lax nature? Is there a chance that the nature isn't just from one example (like, say, a Victini in a screenshot)?
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#226Stover46Posted 11/18/2012 5:04:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#227Serebii from SPP(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 1:40:00 AM
reaverz posted...
Hey Serebii, are you absolutely sure that this Victini is locked into a Lax nature? Is there a chance that the nature isn't just from one example (like, say, a Victini in a screenshot)?

It's possible, yes.

However, typically when they send out screenshots showing the nature in the press kits, the nature is fixed
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#228xyzmanPosted 11/19/2012 2:33:47 AM
Lol at my X-less counterpart starting another wave of this holy war. Good luck at preaching bro (lol).

On topic: Nintendo along with Game Freak can go **** themselves for being self-centered nationalists. Japan-only events, 3-month delays for the rest of world and regional locks - too bad there aren't analogs for Nuernberg process in current mega-corporation world...
---
In vodka veritas
#229LorenzoTheComicPosted 11/24/2012 4:11:19 PM
Glaciate Victini has been confirmed legal for GTS! Gimme your Smoochum :3
---
I am a Pokemon hacker! http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1336/blazikenuber.png