This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ev Training is cheating? How do you feel when someone says that?

#41Missingno_MastrPosted 11/17/2012 9:16:45 AM
I'm starting to remember this one time I beat my cousin's Dialga with my Doduo. Ah, FEAR. Not the most practical strategy in competitive battling, but fun as all hell, and perfect for blowing the minds of younger relatives.
---
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/weezing-alliance/pictures/59420-1.PNG
#42StupidMofozPosted 11/17/2012 9:33:04 AM
IMO EV training is the worst part about pokemon and it's incredibly tedious. It's also a very pointless system to add into the game.

However it's not cheating
#43thrallnatao12Posted 11/17/2012 10:03:55 AM
I must have missed something. What's EV training?
#44Tayo2345Posted 11/17/2012 10:07:33 AM
EV Training isn't cheating in any way in my opinion (hacking to avoid it obviously is tho).

This topic reminded me of a topic from a couple years ago on the HGSS boards. Some guy was complaining about the game being too easy when he swept Sprout Tower with a perfectly bred EV trained Totodile with Ice Punch.
---
I don't care what you say, Generation II sucks.
That's just my opinion, no matter how true it may be.
#45Goten55Posted 11/17/2012 10:11:44 AM
When someone claims EV training is cheating, I like it. It's a simple way of knowing this person is an idiot and their opinions should be disregarded.

Post of the year.
---
Inaba Himeko and Iori Nagase month until...?
http://i.imgur.com/XRGdm.gif http://i.imgur.com/BBoZn.gif http://i.imgur.com/2bvUa.gif
#4672nd_GunslingerPosted 11/17/2012 10:16:38 AM
EV training itself is obviously not cheating (I EV train all the time by myself), but I've always thought it was interesting how people differentiate between EV training and RNG manipulation/perfect-IV breeding.

For one, there isn't any way to determine which pokemon give out which EVs "legitimately," i.e. without looking into the game's internal mathematics/source code (very similar to what you do with RNG manipulation). Even if you get the numbers off of a website, the person who put them there ultimately got them from someone who looked into the game's internals. Far as I can tell, there has been no formal source from Nintendo/Game Freak that details the exact values given out by each pokemon.

Even if you argue that RNG manipulates the math on a deeper level than EV training, you could easily argue in turn that it's the same thing, just to a different degree --- EV training manipulates stat point growth by exploiting the hidden mathematical system by which those stats are determined, while RNG manipulations/IV manipulation just manipulates THOSE values/the internal math by which THEY are determined.

I've been EV training for too long to think of EV training as cheating, myself. But the way I see it, it doesn't really seem consistent to call EV training "legitimate" while discounting RNG abuse as "cheating," as they both are impossible without using external means to get the numbers/math you need to exploit them properly.
---
"The ones who aren't human....ARE YOU!!"
--Lucy, Elfen Lied
#47Chaos_MissilePosted 11/17/2012 10:18:02 AM
Saying that training is cheating is like saying studying is cheating for your test.

While I dont particularly dislike the concept of EV itself, I dislike EV training because it's INCREDIBLY tedious to keep track of it. In addition, there's no real easy way of doing it and you're just gonna hope for the best. Even the EV Checker in-game can only tell you an estimate.

That and the results tend to not be very noticeable. I once focused one level up on battling Dewgongs for the SpDef....upon level up, my Pokemon didnt really improve much.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#4872nd_GunslingerPosted 11/17/2012 10:24:24 AM
Saying that training is cheating is like saying studying is cheating for your test.

A more accurate simile would be to compare EV training to studying for a test, when you don't know what the questions would be. Since you can't "legitimately" find out which pokemon give which EVs, unless you get the information some other way, you wouldn't even know which pokes to grind on (and thus, which "subjects" to "study").
---
--Lucy, Elfen Lied
#49tadashii18Posted 11/17/2012 10:38:46 AM
That's like saying grinding in a JRPG like Final Fantasy is cheating
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
Pokemon Black 2 FC - 3783 6998 1893
#5072nd_GunslingerPosted 11/17/2012 10:48:10 AM
That's like saying grinding in a JRPG like Final Fantasy is cheating

Not at all. Grinding in FF is exactly like grinding normally (non-EV-training) on pokemon. EV training is like a special kind of hidden power-grinding.
---
--Lucy, Elfen Lied