This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ev Training is cheating? How do you feel when someone says that?

#61pokemonfreak97Posted 11/17/2012 3:14:22 PM
Have him find his legends on here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_base_stats

Might explain to him why they're worse than your Lucario...
---
Plasmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(whew)
#62kharn the betrayerPosted 11/17/2012 3:36:41 PM
CharizardFire posted...
Empiror posted...
WolfJounin posted...
emolsifier posted...
I do have to wonder, which legendaries were on his team. as badass as lucario is, I would think that with 6 of them he'd at least be able to whittle it down.

Maybe he's like how some naive kids were in gen 1, where they thought a Pokemon should use as many possible moves of its type:
e.g.
Charizard:
-Flamethrower
-Fire Blast
-Fire Spin
-Fly

lol

My exact set from Red when I was 6...

don't judge me ;_;

That's a lie. You couldn't get Fly on Charizard until Pokemon Yellow

It's called trading.

At any rate, I was smarter than that. My Red version Charizard knew Fire Blast, Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Fly.

my charizard had slash/fireblast/firespin/fly(double team in red)
---
white FC:1936 0013 2567
white 2 FC:3268 2903 6105
#63discodancer77Posted 11/17/2012 3:51:00 PM
Aurawhisperer posted...
I have two responses toward this; cause mentally, I have two me:

1. Briefly explained how EVs work and hilariously ask the kid how Ashs pikachu is able to win some impossible a throughout the anime.
If that doesn't work, I'll have him research EV training by giving him the web that I was taught from.

2. Seeing I hate stupidity 80% of the time, if this kid called me a cheater, I'll question him "that so? Would a fist to the gut feel like cheating too?" And pop him one and explain how unfair the world really is.

Either one can happen; depending on my mood.

Other than that TC, your friend needs to come out of the basement and realize that Pokemon has evolved

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3851-shocked-batman.jpg
---
Hi, I'm Better Than You
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3225-3487-1145
#64ParominPosted 11/17/2012 4:42:54 PM
Dartpaw86 posted...
There are basically 3 levels games fall into

1-Playing normally (People who just play for the sake of playing, not caring about stats and such)
2-Playing strategically (This situation)
3-And being cheap (When I was playing Mortal Kombat 3 with a friend who would always use a trick to trap me a corner and hit me over and over with no way of avoiding until I died... when I called him on it he always said "It's in the game so it's allowed" -_- )

3 and 2 should never be confused.

Unless the trick is unavoidable or requires precision to the frame timing (that is even debatable depending on how competitive the setting is) then this is a case of you being the first example and your friend being the second.
---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#65Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/17/2012 4:46:04 PM
3-And being cheap (When I was playing Mortal Kombat 3 with a friend who would always use a trick to trap me a corner and hit me over and over with no way of avoiding until I died... when I called him on it he always said "It's in the game so it's allowed" -_- )

you mean super turbo akuma

or gill

or king of fighter bosses

etc
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#66Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/17/2012 8:12:00 PM
thrallnatao12 posted...
I must have missed something. What's EV training?

A user unfriendly mechanic that lets you amplify each of its base stats with vitamins, battles (varies by species), and Join Avenue dojos. It's deliberately hidden from the user interface, and most people would not even know it exists unless they read about it online. The only way to even know if you max it out is if you call Bianca and will tell you if a certain stat reached max EVs, or if you reached total maximum.

Game Freak needs to stop hiding its existence and put EV gauges on the status UI, as well as mark what EVs are earned from fighting each species of Pokemon (in the Pokedex). It's one of the things about the user interface that needs to be upgraded in Gen 6, along with shop and certain other NPC interactions.
#67WobbuffetFanPosted 11/17/2012 8:12:59 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
If EV training is cheating then leveling your pokemon is also cheating... Just saying.

Ya its really monotonous but your not forced to do it unless you want to be super competitive and if you want to be competitive then just EV train, its really not even that hard.

And the far more annoying part at that point isnt the EVs its the fact that knowing that some pokemon are just better than others so just because you WANT to use one doesnt mean its FEESABLE to use the one you want.

I agree with this.
---
Wobbuffet!
#68serenade696969(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 11:15:59 PM
emolsifier posted...

I do have to wonder, which legendaries were on his team. as badass as lucario is, I would think that with 6 of them he'd at least be able to whittle it down.

Latios
Latias
Dragonair (said it was legendary)
cresselia
Latias (again)
Victini

He kept trying to use thunder and fire blast on me the whole match.

My lucario first match had quick claw and worked everytime i get lucky with it the second time he changed his team around he hit me once with psychic and i just swept his team from there
#69alphapipiPosted 11/18/2012 7:14:19 AM
Goten55 posted...
When someone claims EV training is cheating, I like it. It's a simple way of knowing this person is an idiot and their opinions should be disregarded.

Post of the year.

nah, post of the decade
#70AwesomeMarioPosted 11/18/2012 8:23:00 AM
WolfJounin posted...
emolsifier posted...

Maybe he's like how some naive kids were in gen 1, where they thought a Pokemon should use as many possible moves of its type:
e.g.
Charizard:
-Flamethrower
-Fire Blast
-Fire Spin
-Fly

lol

My exact set from Red when I was 6...

don't judge me ;_;

Charizard doesn't learn fly in Red.
---
Friend Codes and PSN is in profile