This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me or is there absolutely no strategy to Pokemon anymore?

#1TerotrousPosted 11/18/2012 9:49:26 AM
So I'm now fairly deep into battle subway and PWT, and I'm finding that the strategy in Pokemon appears to be almost completely gone because offense dominates the game to a ludicrous extent now. Even attacks doing neutral damage almost always KO in two hits, even against pokemon who have been IV bred and EV'd for defense, and any supereffective attack with base power 120 or coming from choice band, specs, or powered up by a gem is a guaranteed OHKO. God forbid if Stealth Rock is out, in which case you don't even need one of the above. You basically can't even switch into counters anymore because unless you're quad resisting that attack, you're probably still taking at least 30% damage, +15% or so from stealth rock, and the next hit will probably do neutral damage or be a supereffective hidden power and kill you. Pretty much all that matters now is having fast Pokemon who hit hard with the occasional priority attack to counter the opponent's fast pokemon who hit hard.

I think the problem is that every gen, offense has gotten stronger (more powerful attacks, hidden power letting you learn an attack outside your movepool, natures, abilities, choice items, the gems that boost the power of a given move), while defense has not really increased at all since first gen (sturdy and focus sash are the two main things that have increased defense and both are blown up by Stealth Rock or Sandstorm). Last gen, Steel types sort of kept offense in check, but this gen absolutely everyone has a ton of new moves for blowing steel types out of the water, and the result is a game where absolutely no one is defensively viable. Heck, even poor Blissey now faces everyone carrying a fighting type attack, and usually a physical one.

Next gen, they really need to alter the damage formula so that no neutral effective attack is doing more than 30% damage to any pokemon with decently high defense and HP, and drastically reduce the movepools so that every Pokemon can't cover every type. Very strong defensive pokemon should be able to take at least two supereffective attacks from anyone who doesn't have STAB, and most pokemon should be able to survive a quad effective hidden power at least once. At current, there's a zillion Pokemon and moves but it basically doesn't matter which ones you use. Slap together a team of hard hitting guys and let rip with your Draco Meteors, Bullet Punches, and Fire Blasts and you'll tear through basically anything.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#2pkmnpkmnPosted 11/18/2012 9:53:27 AM
Really? I've found that pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Heatran, Deo-D, Quagsire, Rotom, Pink blob, Tentacruel, amoongus,forry,Skarm etc take forever to kill unless you have like a +3 dragonite or terrakion.

Oh wait you mean ingame. Shorter battles are a good thing dude especially since in the BS you need dozens of them just to get to the good BP.
---
The Offical Groudon Oof the POkemon Black and White 2 Boards.
#3TableFlipPosted 11/18/2012 9:54:44 AM
If you don't like in-game,just try showdown.Battles take WAY longer there.
---
I don't even know anymore.
#4360pagesPosted 11/18/2012 10:07:30 AM
Trust me, as someone who runs a bulky hippowdone. Defense isn't really all that bad.
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
#5360pagesPosted 11/18/2012 10:08:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:11:31 AM(edited)
pkmnpkmn posted...
Really? I've found that pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Heatran, Deo-D, Quagsire, Rotom, Pink blob, Tentacruel, amoongus,forry,Skarm etc take forever to kill unless you have like a +3 dragonite or terrakion..

Ferrothorn is easily OHKOed by any fire move, including Hidden Power, unless he's carrying the fire reducing berry. Heatran is blown up by fighting (or Earth if he doesn't have air balloon). Amoongus dies to any flying attack. I wasn't aware Deo-D wasn't in Ubers anymore, though I guess with Defense being so useless he has no reason to be. All of the rest of those are probably going to die to a Specs / Gem Draco Meteor.

I actually do like Jellicent, as it's something of a counter to anyone using a choice item. If cursed body activates they have to switch out. But there's no guarantee it will and if it doesn't you're probably getting 2HKO'd after stealth rock.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#7pkmnpkmnPosted 11/18/2012 10:10:38 AM
Terotrous posted...
pkmnpkmn posted...
Really? I've found that pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Heatran, Deo-D, Quagsire, Rotom, Pink blob, Tentacruel, amoongus,forry,Skarm etc take forever to kill unless you have like a +3 dragonite or terrakion..

Ferrothorn is easily OHKOed by any fire move, including Hidden Power, unless he's carrying the fire reducing berry. Heatran is blown up by fighting (or Earth if he doesn't have air balloon). Amoongus dies to any flying attack. I wasn't aware Deo-D wasn't in Ubers anymore, though I guess with Defense being so useless he has no reason to be. All of the rest of those are probably going to die to a Specs / Gem Draco Meteor.

Go on pokemon showdown, fighting a couple of good stall teams and then say that again.
---
The Offical Groudon Oof the POkemon Black and White 2 Boards.
#8uuurrrgghPosted 11/18/2012 10:11:31 AM
lolwut?
---
I always listen, I just don't respond.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#9AuroraSonicBeamPosted 11/18/2012 10:12:49 AM
Terotrous posted...
pkmnpkmn posted...

I actually do like Jellicent, as it's something of a counter to anyone using a choice item. If cursed body activates they have to switch out. But there's no guarantee it will and if it doesn't you're probably getting 2HKO'd after stealth rock.

ITT: pokemon with 4x weakness suck.
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#10360pagesPosted 11/18/2012 10:13:30 AM
Terotrous posted...
pkmnpkmn posted...

Yes, but only idiots keep their pokemon on things they know can kill it.
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466