This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help for a Blind Pokemon Player

#111Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:00:26 PM
A couple of things I forgot, sorry for the double post:
1. nPCs you need to talk to usually have a lot to say, so you have to click more than once or twice to get through all their dialogue. Some, as of these last couple of generations, sometimes even have that little exclamation or whatever the heck it is, that goes "bling" when they start a conversation or whatever. Some even have their own theme! Thus, NPCs usually stand out for that reason if none other. Not always, but usually.
2. If I use a walkthrough, plus a little trial and error, my inventory isn't too hectic. I can usually get an idea of which TMs and HMs I have, and where my healing items are. But as I did say in an older post, I don't often use healing items in the heat of battle; I'm used to not doing it, so I compensate for a game weakness by learning to live with it or getting around it.
3. The pokemon in my party...same deal. There are only six, and I know which I want. By the time I'm throwing a pokeball at something, I know what it is; I don't guess about that. So if I start with Oshawott, which I can distinguish by its cry, then find a Lillipup and catch it, then find a Mareep (which I definitely recognize from good ol' GSC) and catch that...well, I know what they all sound like, so shuffling them around is easy.

I'll think you'll see that applying a little logic to each problem, there comes a solution. It would be well-appreciated if, instead of saying "this can't be done", you asked how I did it instead. You, not being blind, as I've said countless times by now, are not exactly an expert on what the blind can and can't do, and to imply that I'm joking and wasting this much time on a prank says much more about you than about me.
#112GastroidPosted 11/19/2012 7:09:39 PM(edited)
A couple of things I forgot, sorry for the double post:
1. nPCs you need to talk to usually have a lot to say, so you have to click more than once or twice to get through all their dialogue.

Trainer tip signs require just as much clicking, and there is absolutely no when a dialogue box is completed other than moving and seeing if you hit something after every time you click, or else you're endlessly in a dialogue box loop with a sign or a trainer in the middle of a route.

Also, why was the n in NPC not capitalized in that instance?

You, not being blind, as I've said countless times by now, are not exactly an expert on what the blind can and can't do, and to imply that I'm joking and wasting this much time on a prank says much more about you than about me.

A few months ago one of the most prolific posters on PotD, a very outspoken and opinionated female poster named chelle, was outed as a male, after four years of posting daily under one intricately detailed and constructed persona almost opposite of what their real-life personality was. Don't you dare pull that card while you're on a forum. Unsubstantiated stories mean nothing.
---
Gearoid
Gear-variant Android
#113TotalPotatoPosted 11/19/2012 7:09:42 PM(edited)
Having read through this topic, I believe Vaidhe. Even if it turns out that I'm completely wrong and it's all one elaborate joke, I would much rather give help to a joker than refuse to give help to someone genuine.

Enjoy the game, Vaidhe!

EDIT: Gastroid, you can avoid that by pressing B to go through dialogue.
---
Curiosity killed the cat, but a flamethrower does it better.
#114Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:13:11 PM
Trainer tip signs can be a hassle, yes, but again, I can work around them. Same with dialogue loops. If I keep clicking and it doesn't stop, eventually I look for an option to hit down arrow or right arrow to change my selection. Another tip-off.

And, to the person who was talking about having to memorize where I am in the game: technically you are doing precisely the same thing every time you start up your game of choice. Your eyes give you signs, and your brain says "Aha! I'm in Virbank City!". Difference is, my ears do that for me, as does my memory itself. Being very detail-oriented is something I have no choice in; when I walk to and from places IRL I have to know a great lot of detail, so I tend to memorize all kinds of things. So it's no problem when, if I stop playing a game and I'm in a certain spot, I go back to it. Not only do musical cues help me out, but my own memory does. And if I'm in one of many cities or towns with similar music, or in a pokemon center in one of said cities or towns...well, it takes only moving down a bit to get out the door to find out where I am...or, at the absolute worst if I haven't played for months, a little aimless wandering to re-familiarize myself with the layout.

Sight is a vast sense. You can see a lot at once with it, and it gives you tons of detail. My world is smaller than yours...it has to be. But in that world, my attention to the small things is really quite well-honed, and this means that what I do, I'm usually quite good at. This means mapping mazes, memorizing things like cries and directions and attacks, and all the rest. All the things you cite as "holes" are really only holes in your understanding, I'm afraid. Try again...and next time, if you wish, get some facts instead of arming yourself with silly suppositions and calling them facts. I'm getting just a bit tired of it.
#115GastroidPosted 11/19/2012 7:17:34 PM
I don't think you directly answered how you type. What program do you use?
---
Achilles Mark IV Mechroid
Horseman of the Apocalypse - War
#116Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:17:39 PM
TotalPotato, thanks for the faith.

I want to underline one thing. The blind live in a world that is limited by their senses, just as everyone else does. Do you forget your school if you haven't been there all weekend, or your work if you took two weeks to go on vacation? Of course you don't. You go back, and immediately your eyes (and all your other senses, though much less) take in all the familiar sights, and right away you're on perfectly solid ground. Even if details get a little hazy in one's absence, they're often there, just waiting for the brain to be cued. This is just as true for me as for you, except that I wait for audible signals instead of visual ones.

To claim that my memorization is a huge feat is tantamount to saying that I should be confused every time I wake from sleep, or every time I return to even a familiar place...and I'm just not.
#117Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:19:55 PM
I type with my fingers. I read using Jaws for Windows...that latter I've said a couple of times now. I know the topic's gotten kinda out of hand, but it is highly recommended to read before you write.
I hate not being able to edit my own posts yet, btw.
The lack of capitalizatin on the n in NPC was nothing more or less than a typo. We all make 'em from time to time.
#118TanyaGDPosted 11/19/2012 7:21:06 PM
Vaidhe, I am impressed that you have beat so many Pokemon games, but I am not surprised that you are able to do all of this. Either way, props to you good sir.

When I had a bad case of pink eye about a year ago, because my eyes were really sensitive to the light, I would close my eyes and I would play Pokemon Black similarly to how you play it. I memorized the cries of Dwebble, Darukama, and Sandile and the entire layout of the Desert Resort, including the soundtrack that accompanies it. I spend so much time there trying to catch an Adamant Dwebble. The only time I would open my eyes would be to check the nature.

Do not listen to anyone who doubts you. Trying to argue against anyone who does doubt you is hopeless. I know it would be nice to be able to change the way people think about blind people, and you actually did do that to some users who posted on this topic. Unfortunately, there will always be the thick headed who have no hope in humanity.
---
PSN= ss1006
Black 2 FC: 0777-2155-1737
#119GastroidPosted 11/19/2012 7:23:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#120GastroidPosted 11/19/2012 7:25:48 PM(edited)
Do not listen to anyone who doubts you. Trying to argue against anyone who does doubt you is hopeless. I know it would be nice to be able to change the way people think about blind people, and you actually did do that to some users who posted on this topic. Unfortunately, there will always be the thick headed who have no hope in humanity.

Life is cynical. Life lies. The last blind Pokemon player on GameFAQs player lied.
---
Mechroid II
Mech Deuce-variant Android