This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help for a Blind Pokemon Player

#121Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 8:29:45 PM
On review, I guess you're right. I made an assumption, this being that you'd understand that when using Jaws, you have no need of a program to type what you say. I made this assumption because I thought you would know that, and while it's common knowledge for me, and may be common knowledge for many, I apologize for assuming that it ought to have been so for you.

I did mention Jaws many times, alluding to how it made surfing the internet in general (which in my book does include typing) easy, but yeah...I can see where you're coming from. Any typos I make are purely faulty fingers.

Tanya, thanks for the faith as well. You're right, some people just won't be convinced, but probably my biggest Achilles hell, as it were, is my desire to get people to drop outdated or simply incorrect ideas, particularly as they pertain to me. It's never mattered if I know them or not; if I see it, part of me, even though I'm twenty-nine and ought to know better, kinda goes into defensive mode. "Hey, are you thick or just misinformed?" and off I go. It's kind of shameful honestly, but if I go away having shown even one person the truth then I feel I've done a worthwhile deed.

Gastroid, or whatever your name is, I'd like to address what you said about Chell, or whoever the female recently outed as a male was. If you were impacted by this, I feel for you, but I would say by and large that such large and ultimately hurtful deceptions are the exception, not the rule. That said, I respect your right to be dubious, but I maintain my stance. The onus is not upon me to prove myself, but upon you to disprove me if you can. Innocent till proven guilty, not the other way round.
#122De_AthVaderPosted 11/19/2012 8:30:02 PM
Gastroid posted...
Do not listen to anyone who doubts you. Trying to argue against anyone who does doubt you is hopeless. I know it would be nice to be able to change the way people think about blind people, and you actually did do that to some users who posted on this topic. Unfortunately, there will always be the thick headed who have no hope in humanity.

Life is cynical. Life lies. The last blind Pokemon player on GameFAQs player lied.

Is that enough to assume that every "blind" player on GameFAQs is lying?
---
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
#123GastroidPosted 11/19/2012 8:33:21 PM
Is that enough to assume that every "blind" player on GameFAQs is lying?

Let's look at it this way: There are two people who claimed that they could play Pokemon blind. One did a very long troll. Another is unconfirmed. The unconfirmed one has no imperial evidence to support the claim, other than lengthy descriptions that may or may not be true and rants about how we don't know what it's like to be blind, which at this point is probably an appeal to emotion. Heck, saying that I was affected by the chelle thing is much of the same. I'm just been in this exact topic before and know how it ended up. There's no difference here than there was before, and this is the same internet that 4chan comes from.
---
Lithos Mech Hektor
Slave of the Acolytes
#124TanyaGDPosted 11/19/2012 8:37:58 PM
Gastroid posted...
Do not listen to anyone who doubts you. Trying to argue against anyone who does doubt you is hopeless. I know it would be nice to be able to change the way people think about blind people, and you actually did do that to some users who posted on this topic. Unfortunately, there will always be the thick headed who have no hope in humanity.

Life is cynical. Life lies. The last blind Pokemon player on GameFAQs player lied.

That may be true and all, but in this topic, why does this matter? If you believe or not believe the TC, it does not matter. What mattered in the first place is if you are/were able to help him out. Trying to prove that Vaidhe is lying to you, to him, and to everyone else is pointless. Either help him out or don't post. Sadly, the topic didn't unfold this way, and Vaidhe has been trying to prove to you and other skeptics that blind people CAN play Pokemon. At this point in the topic, I have concluded that this will be impossible.
---
PSN= ss1006
Black 2 FC: 0777-2155-1737
#125De_AthVaderPosted 11/19/2012 8:38:52 PM
If you can find it, can you post a link to the other topic by the other "blind" person?
---
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
#126Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 8:39:46 PM
Gastroid, that's some awfully funny rhetoric you're using there.
We're in the same world that birthed Ted Bundy. We're all serial killers.
This is the same hundred-year span that gave rise to Hitler. We're all racist and apt to commit mass genocide.
This is the same internet that spawned Potter Puppet Pals, so we're all wacky artistic geniuses with a lot of spare time.

Get my drift yet? I am related to this 4chan fellow only insofar as I happen to share a method of interaction with you, and with some others who may have been here or may yet come. To use that as any sort of basis for comparison is pretty silly if you think about it.
#127HorithPosted 11/19/2012 9:12:17 PM
How...how ignorant can you people be? Yeah, alright, video games are a primarily visual medium, but that doesn't make them inaccessible to the blind. Pokemon is one of the games I'd think is most accessible, simply because of all the sounds that go along with it. It gives you indications of when you're running into something, when something specific is happening like the wind effect in Skyla's Gym, teleporting, etc., and Pokemon attacks all have unique sounds to go along with them.

Heck, using a guide, keeping track of Pokemon attacks learned on level up, knowing which TM he gets when, etc. would easily let him track moves, so even that's not a difficulty.

Seriously, grow up people. A) What purpose does such a elaborate deception gain him? A few people helping out, and a few people doubting him? B) You are seriously downplaying this guy's desire to play this game to the best of his ability, and it's pretty damn asinine to say he can't just because of a disability that he's explained isn't a huge hinderance to his ability to play the game in the first place.

A long enough time ago that I unfortunately can't track it down myself, I saw a news story on a girl probably about 11-12 years old who played Pokemon Silver. She made pretty much all the same arguments the TC used; the sounds made it very easy to tell what she was doing, using guides helped her keep track of what was going on, and she enjoyed it just like anyone who could see.

As for your questions, TC, I'd say either game is definitely playable, but I would lean towards the second games. People haven't mentioned it, but the 7th gym in the first Black/White have some pretty nasty ice puzzles compared to what Black/White 2 deal you. I'd also say the puzzles are better regardless, and the Pokemon available to you are significantly better in the sequels. Also, and this is entirely personal opinion, I think the music is generally better as well.
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#128Vaidhe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 9:28:47 PM
The broader spectrum of pokemon available definitely drew me, but if the puzzles had been a much bigger deal than it appears they are...well, I'd have been stuck with the earlier games. It looks like Pokestar Studios I probably won't bother with, and some of the minigames either but the more games come out the more they start to focus on that.
Would love to unlock challenge mode though, as I'm always, always in favour of increased difficulty.

Thanks for some more fresh perspective. Silver, for instance, is a bit of a trial if you don't know where you have to surf, but I figured that out eventually, and thankfully there isn't a lot of finicky surfing except where you catch Lugia and I just ignored that place, or had my brother do it. The Ice Path was absolute misery for me though. Aside from that, I think only Claire's and Price's gyms were particularly hard as far as getting around.
In Sapphire, the seventh gymis a pain in the neck, the sixth is impossible unless you get a walkthrough (thankfully there is a literally step-by-step one right here), and everything else is very doable. Fourth gen...Volkner's puzzle was a pain, though I managed it once; Candice's I never did on my own, but Byron's I managed after a little looking. Never got Platinum though, because I knew there was platforming and it sounded nasty for a nonsighted player.

So yes. I sacrifice when I play a game meant for the sighted, but I'm okay with that. Pity some of the rest of you aren't, either...but some of you seem decent enough, so thanks for having a little sense and faith and all that.
#129Bass50Posted 11/19/2012 10:32:45 PM
Horith posted...
How...how ignorant can you people be? Yeah, alright, video games are a primarily visual medium, but that doesn't make them inaccessible to the blind. Pokemon is one of the games I'd think is most accessible, simply because of all the sounds that go along with it. It gives you indications of when you're running into something, when something specific is happening like the wind effect in Skyla's Gym, teleporting, etc., and Pokemon attacks all have unique sounds to go along with them.

While this is absolutely true for a good number of games, just as many are inaccessible/unenjoyable/near impossible to play for a blind person.

Horith posted...
Heck, using a guide, keeping track of Pokemon attacks learned on level up, knowing which TM he gets when, etc. would easily let him track moves, so even that's not a difficulty.

Unless you're blind, you really can't make the assumption that it's not a difficulty.

Horith posted...
Seriously, grow up people. A) What purpose does such a elaborate deception gain him? A few people helping out, and a few people doubting him? B) You are seriously downplaying this guy's desire to play this game to the best of his ability, and it's pretty damn asinine to say he can't just because of a disability that he's explained isn't a huge hinderance to his ability to play the game in the first place.

A) Seriously, you don't know how far a person will go to get attention on the internet? Well, you must be new, then. Welcome to the vast and wondrous internet. There are some awesome people here, but then there are also a great many who are not so awesome. Despite what rumors you've heard, there are people here that lie, cheat, steal and are just generally bad people; not unlike those you want to disassociate yourself with in real life.

Now, I'm not saying TC is one of these people, but trusting someone online without actually knowing them as a person is just as iffy as doing so offline.

B) Nobody is outright saying a blind person is incapable of playing Poke'Mon, but it's most likely more difficult than say, any Zelda game. Also, welcome to the internet again, have I mentioned it's not a utopian society where everyone's intentions are pure and noble and their words completely truthful? Seriously, just because someone says they are blind and goes on about how they can adapt and play a certain game doesn't mean they are. Lazy people with no moral decency whatsoever have and still do pretend to be blind panhandlers so they can sit on their ***** all day and con people out of their money.

Again, I'm not saying TC is lying, but blindly trusting someone; especially on the internet is a double edged sword. I've dealt with some ******* who claimed a family member was brutalized...and that they are depicting this brutalization in their fanfic; in graphic, uber descriptive detail as a coping mechanism.

Calling people ignorant for being skeptical about something on the internet isn't really winning you any points. Again, I'm not calling TC a liar, but it wouldn't be impossible for someone to do the research and come up with an elaborate story like this solely for attention. People have created an entirely new person for the same reasons; all they would need to do is give a believable reason why someone else shares their IP address or why this "friend" of theirs hardly posts.

Again(I really feel the need to emphasize this; especially on this site), I'm not calling TC a liar, but calling people ignorant for being skeptical about something; especially when it's not uncommon for people to lie/make up stories on and offline isn't exactly the best way to "convince" them.
#130LightningAce11Posted 11/19/2012 10:33:57 PM
I salute you. Even though you can't see, your dedication to pokemon is unwavering. A true pokemon fan, as groundrattler would say.
---
Official Eelektross of the Pokemon B/W 2 Message Boards