This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick clarification regarding the Gen III MYSTRY Mew

#1FefnirOmega13Posted 11/19/2012 7:15:57 PM
Did it ever have a chance to be shiny? I know it was part of a TRU giveaway in North America, but I can't seem to find any information on it in regards to possible shininess. I ask because I have a shiny one on my pearl from when I was mass trading on these boards many moons ago (Someone asked me to hold it, and never came back for it. A shame) and while it LOOKS legit I'd like to know for sure... I doubt it's legitimate anyway, but figured I'd ask.

Many thanks.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#2Mariofan15Posted 11/19/2012 7:20:16 PM
No. The only Gen 3 Mew that could be shiny was the Faraway Island Mew in Emerald. And that was only possible on a Japanese cart of Emerald.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#3FefnirOmega13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:22:55 PM
So it's a dud, then?

I'm not doubting you, but I'd like proof if possible, and if not... how sure are you of your facts? Kinda want proof, if you don't mind.

Thanks though, I appreciate the post.
---
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#4Mariofan15Posted 11/19/2012 7:25:07 PM
So it's a dud, then?

I'm not doubting you, but I'd like proof if possible, and if not... how sure are you of your facts? Kinda want proof, if you don't mind.

Thanks though, I appreciate the post.

Search it on Bulbapedia.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#5KaphoticsPosted 11/19/2012 7:47:16 PM
>I have a shiny one on my pearl from when I was mass trading on these boards many moons ago

yeah, fake. I assisted Sabresite when he did the whole legality analysis and we had actual distribution cartridges. We were pretty certain it was possible but improbable.

Verdict is no.
---
AIM: Kaphotics
2.ly/5thGenRNGResearchThread
#6FefnirOmega13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:56:48 PM
Kaphotics posted...
>I have a shiny one on my pearl from when I was mass trading on these boards many moons ago

yeah, fake. I assisted Sabresite when he did the whole legality analysis and we had actual distribution cartridges. We were pretty certain it was possible but improbable.

Verdict is no.

Ah, excellent, I gotcha. So it's possible, but majority is most likely not. It's very likely this has been cloned a million times anyway beforehand, anyway. Any chance if Pokecheck will pick it up, incidentally, or not worth it?

Thanks for the help.
---
#7KaphoticsPosted 11/19/2012 8:06:50 PM(edited)
FefnirOmega13 posted...
Ah, excellent, I gotcha. So it's possible, but majority is most likely not. It's very likely this has been cloned a million times anyway beforehand, anyway. Any chance if Pokecheck will pick it up, incidentally, or not worth it?

Thanks for the help.

While Sabresite was able to predict all of the MYSTRY mews, there was no evidence of skipping since a Shiny would never have been generated. The way they pre-generated cartridges with event fodder is likely the same across all Gen III events (besides the pre-cloned events like JEREMY).

IRC log from well over a year and a half ago:

05:27:56: <Sabre> I just need to know what position/box it came from
05:28:01: <Sabre> and bam, I can extrapolate all of them :D
05:29:00: <Sabre> also
05:29:02: <Sabre> we need to check for shinies
05:29:11: <Kaphotics> all possible weeds
05:29:18: <Kaphotics> yes
05:29:27: <Sabre> I was telling bond
05:29:36: <Sabre> I was using reverse chain
05:29:41: <Sabre> to find the previous PID (randomly)
05:29:49: <Sabre> and I was like.. wait... 20 seed rotations...
05:29:57: <Sabre> err RND rotations
05:30:03: <Sabre> and its not shiny... go figure ;)
05:35:52: <Sabre> FYI
05:35:56: <Sabre> no hadou mew is shiny
05:35:58: <Sabre> same with aura mew, etc
05:36:05: <Sabre> there is definitely non-shiny used...

Pokecheck would say that any Shiny Mew in gen III would have to be Japanese Faraway Island Mew. So it'd say hacked too :)

Note: When I said "was possible" I meant "could have been possible", if that clears up any confusion. As far as I was aware he wasn't able to rule out the possibility of shinies all together since there wasn't any game code to look at (relevant to the PKM generation).
---
AIM: Kaphotics
2.ly/5thGenRNGResearchThread
#8FefnirOmega13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 8:17:58 PM
Kaphotics posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...

Thanks for the help.

While Sabresite was able to predict all of the MYSTRY mews, there was no evidence of skipping since a Shiny would never have been generated. The way they pre-generated cartridges with event fodder is likely the same across all Gen III events (besides the pre-cloned events like JEREMY).

IRC log from well over a year and a half ago:

05:27:56: <Sabre> I just need to know what position/box it came from
05:28:01: <Sabre> and bam, I can extrapolate all of them :D
05:29:00: <Sabre> also
05:29:02: <Sabre> we need to check for shinies
05:29:11: <Kaphotics> all possible weeds
05:29:18: <Kaphotics> yes
05:29:27: <Sabre> I was telling bond
05:29:36: <Sabre> I was using reverse chain
05:29:41: <Sabre> to find the previous PID (randomly)
05:29:49: <Sabre> and I was like.. wait... 20 seed rotations...
05:29:57: <Sabre> err RND rotations
05:30:03: <Sabre> and its not shiny... go figure ;)
05:35:52: <Sabre> FYI
05:35:56: <Sabre> no hadou mew is shiny
05:35:58: <Sabre> same with aura mew, etc
05:36:05: <Sabre> there is definitely non-shiny used...

Pokecheck would say that any Shiny Mew in gen III would have to be Japanese Faraway Island Mew. So it'd say hacked too :)

Note: When I said "was possible" I meant "could have been possible", if that clears up any confusion. As far as I was aware he wasn't able to rule out the possibility of shinies all together since there wasn't any game code to look at (relevant to the PKM generation).

Alright, excellent. Not all that disappointed since I expected this coming, thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.
---