This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate on sinnoh?

#21BenzychenzPosted 11/25/2012 4:32:15 AM
Terrible, terrible new pokemon.
---
I don't have a sig
#22Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/25/2012 5:46:16 AM
because mt coronet

although i still love sinnoh either way
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#23QuetzalmaPosted 11/25/2012 6:13:48 AM
In terms of world:
Gen 4 > Gen 3 > Gen 2/1(both at same time) > Gen 5

In terms of ingame features(not battle features):
Gen 3 >= Gen 4 > Gen 5 > Gen 2 > Gen 1

In terms of battle features:
Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 3 > Gen 2 > Gen 1

In terms of Pokemon designs:
Gen 4 >= Gen 3 > Gen 1 > Gen 5 > Gen 2
#24MugilokoPosted 11/25/2012 6:30:47 AM
Lol LightningAce11 topic. Everyone leave.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/a6/571Zoroark.png/180px-571Zoroark.png
#25JohnnyG118Posted 11/25/2012 6:35:29 AM
I realize that there is a certain expected formula for how these games are supposed to look but the DS means 3D graphic capacity. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl look almost identical to their GBA predecessors Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Sure, the pokemon twitch a little bit now and the moves look prettier, but all things considered this game could probably run on a GBA. Even the in-battle backdrops appear poorly rendered and very static. Compare this game to Super Mario 64 DS, or the CGs at the beginning of Final Fantasy III; there was room for a ton of improvement here.

My second gripe with this game is the lack of new pokemon. There are about 120 introduced in Gen IV, but good luck seeing half that many. Twenty hours into the game you'll have had the chance to catch maybe two dozen new entries (which balloons to about three dozen if you count their evolved forms). But the problem goes so much deeper than that. The main issue is that you're always running into the SAME exact pokemon. Every area offers the same fodder over and over. Fight in the grass and expect to face either a Starly, a Bidoof or a Ponyta a good 75% of the time. Go into a cave and you'll only ever see Geodude and Zubat, with the occasional Onix. Go fishing and it's Magikarp and Goldeen, even with higher end rods. There is still way too much repetition. It is no exaggeration to state that whenever you battle in the wild it is against this same core set of pokemon (Starly, Bidoof, Ponyta, Geodude etc.) a good 90% of the time. This is made even more upsetting by the fact that the day / night feature, which played a prominent role in Gold and Silver does essentially nothing at all. The same pokemon always show up at all hours of the day and night, with little to no variation whatsoever.

A new pokemon game is supposed to offer thrills through its new members (as the gameplay and story are always essentially the same). So when a game gives you very few new pokemon to play with, as well as very few different pokemon in general, it's rather disappointing.

-- paraphrased from a "first impressions" review I wrote following the release of Diamond and Pearl
#26Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/25/2012 6:40:12 AM
This is made even more upsetting by the fact that the day / night feature, which played a prominent role in Gold and Silver does essentially nothing at all. The same pokemon always show up at all hours of the day and night, with little to no variation whatsoever.

doing it right

night/day limitations are stupid and should die in a fire (and so should day and night in gaming as a whole unless you're majora's mask or something)
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#27IngSlayerPosted 11/25/2012 6:41:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#28JohnnyG118Posted 11/25/2012 6:44:02 AM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
night/day limitations are stupid and should die in a fire (and so should day and night in gaming as a whole unless you're majora's mask or something)

This. If you're going to have a Day/Night feature in the game, make it somehow relevant to said game.

And while I agree with you that these limitations are impractical, they don't even warrant a mention compared to the assraping succession of hoops that Game Freak expects people to jump through on their way to a full Pokedex. Hell, prior to the days of DS wifi you would've needed (at a minimum):

1) Both versions of a given release
2) (Access to) Two GBAs
3) Trading Cable
4) Some sort of travel budget to make it to events for specific pokemon

Compared to that, waiting until after 8pm is nothing.
#29P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/25/2012 6:45:40 AM
Don't want to spend time writing paragraphs on paragraphs, so I'll sum it up

-Lack of diversity in region
-That huge mountain that needed to be passed through on multiple occasions
-Cynthia. She just needs to stop coming back. Seriously.
-Main characters were plastic people, at best
-Rival was the worst we'd ever seen (Yes, even worse than Brendan/May and Wally)
-Little to no water at all
-Towns seemed barren, for the most part (Yes, I know they have people and themes, but that's not something to which I was referring)
-The Underground. After the amazingness of Secret Bases in Gen III (You could pick your favorite location in the region), we were given a poorly executed, brown and droning underground. Granted, it had potential, but it was just, no.
-Event-exclusive legendaries. GameFreak, I want to catch them all legitimately, but I'm sorry I have no access to a Pokemon Center and no access to your WiFi without a DSi enhanced game
-The new pokemon. I think it was very clear what audience GameFreak had intended to aim for (Younger girls, and older fans of the series)
-The E4 were lifeless. See point #4

However, Sinnoh did have some good points. I enjoyed some of the new pokemon, the music in the games was nice, and the themeing of the legendaries was a good concept. Perhaps the remakes will be better.
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards
#30nonomm79Posted 11/25/2012 6:50:45 AM
LenneValkirye posted...

-Introduced Cynthia, a blatant fanservice character who has been in every single pokemon game since for no real reason other than fanservice

You... you realize most fans of this game are children, right? And, besides that, how is she "fan service?" In fact, she's probably the one of the MOST covered-up girl in the series.

------