This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate on sinnoh?

#31P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/25/2012 5:54:26 AM
nonomm79 posted...
LenneValkirye posted...

-Introduced Cynthia, a blatant fanservice character who has been in every single pokemon game since for no real reason other than fanservice

You... you realize most fans of this game are children, right? And, besides that, how is she "fan service?" In fact, she's probably the one of the MOST covered-up girl in the series.

------

You do understand what people on the Internet do, correct? It doesn't matter whether she's dressed or not; if she's blatantly meant to appeal to an older audience, then she's a fanservice character. Just think about Mai Valentine; do we ever see her not covered up? No. Was she meant as a fanservice character? Absolutely.
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards
#32LexifoxPosted 11/25/2012 6:18:19 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
nonomm79 posted...
LenneValkirye posted...

-Introduced Cynthia, a blatant fanservice character who has been in every single pokemon game since for no real reason other than fanservice

You... you realize most fans of this game are children, right? And, besides that, how is she "fan service?" In fact, she's probably the one of the MOST covered-up girl in the series.

------

You do understand what people on the Internet do, correct? It doesn't matter whether she's dressed or not; if she's blatantly meant to appeal to an older audience, then she's a fanservice character. Just think about Mai Valentine; do we ever see her not covered up? No. Was she meant as a fanservice character? Absolutely.

YGO is a series aimed at a slightly older crowd that Pokemon. As it stands, she's never really used for fanservice outside of a slightly more revealing outfit in the anime (OMG WE CAN SEE HER ARMS AND TOES SO HAWT) or the fact that she mentions wearing swimsuits (which is nullified by the female Swimmers).

I don't get, exactly, why she's expected to appeal to an older crowd in your mind. Is it because she appears in more than one game? Many NPCs do this, like Crasher Wake and Lance. When she's introduced, she is shown to have an interest in scholarly things, which means that she can be a support character for the story to fit in with the idea of "you meet the champion but don't know s/he's the champion", a pattern which all Pokemon games follow.

When HG/SS rolled around, they decided to do an event with the Arceus in the form of a "free" Dragon, possibly if only because they expected that you would buy Platinum and because the Griseous Orb couldn't be traded out of Platinum, meaning you'd likely choose Giratina and not worry about the other two because you also caught them both in your D/P and Platinum games. Now, why bother introducing a character who appeared once and never again when we already have a Sinnoh-affiliated character who knows a lot about the Sinnoh legends?

HG/SS, as an aside, is the game where Steven makes his second appearance, effectively alongside Cynthia. Just as Cynthia fulfills her role of "researcher", he fulfills his "roles". He appears as part of a Hoenn-related Legendary event, he shows an affiliation with stones (gives out starters), continues his fondness of giving out Beldum, and then combines his stones/Hoenn aspects with the Soul Dew. He's even referenced in Platinum, meaning he's been in more different regions than any other Champion.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#33nonomm79Posted 11/25/2012 6:31:43 AM
nonomm79 posted...
LenneValkirye posted...

------

How is she "blatantly" meant to appeal to an older audience? I mean, is Adler supposed to appeal the octogenarians playing Pokemon? And as for what people do on the Internet, just because there are naughty pictures of character means something? Well, then everything is fan service because of Rule 34. Google Cynthia without Safesearch, you find naughty pictures, try it with Misty; you find FAR more.

------
#34QualiTPosted 11/25/2012 6:34:11 AM
sinnoh > all.

come @ me.
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
http://i.imgur.com/FjisB.gif
#35P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/25/2012 6:36:16 AM
LenneValkirye posted...

I don't get, exactly, why she's expected to appeal to an older crowd in your mind. Is it because she appears in more than one game? Many NPCs do this, like Crasher Wake and Lance. When she's introduced, she is shown to have an interest in scholarly things, which means that she can be a support character for the story to fit in with the idea of "you meet the champion but don't know s/he's the champion", a pattern which all Pokemon games follow.

When HG/SS rolled around, they decided to do an event with the Arceus in the form of a "free" Dragon, possibly if only because they expected that you would buy Platinum and because the Griseous Orb couldn't be traded out of Platinum, meaning you'd likely choose Giratina and not worry about the other two because you also caught them both in your D/P and Platinum games. Now, why bother introducing a character who appeared once and never again when we already have a Sinnoh-affiliated character who knows a lot about the Sinnoh legends?

HG/SS, as an aside, is the game where Steven makes his second appearance, effectively alongside Cynthia. Just as Cynthia fulfills her role of "researcher", he fulfills his "roles". He appears as part of a Hoenn-related Legendary event, he shows an affiliation with stones (gives out starters), continues his fondness of giving out Beldum, and then combines his stones/Hoenn aspects with the Soul Dew. He's even referenced in Platinum, meaning he's been in more different regions than any other Champion.

She's used for fanservice in the fact that, while she is never revealing, she is meant to, as I said earlier, appeal to an older audience, one that might have lost interest in the games due to them being too childish. And then she's plopped in, after we've seen Blue, Lance, Steven, and Wallace as Champions. And then, suddenly, a wild appealing female champion appears, and you would have me believe that GameFreak had no other intentions than to SOLELY appease their feminine buyers, rather than an older audience? I'd rather not believe that.

On to your second topic, Cynthia is indeed introduced as a scholarly character. However, my argument lies with your first point, being that you've stated that fans would chose Giratina. My retaliation would be that the entire event was a plot device instilled upon us to remind us that Sinnoh is still prevalent amongst other regions; in that their legendaries appear, and that Sinnoh lies closely to Johto and Kanto; which, in retrospect, might have only been thought of to lay our mind into the fact that, in the next gen, we would be taken further away from this "main land" as you would have it. Also, I believe that event to be created by GameFreak solely to compensate for its lack of the giving away of the Azure Flute during the Sinnoh Arc; they needed an Arceus giveaway, and the Sinjoh Ruins event was just the next logical step.

Okay, last topic (I ran out of characters earlier, so I'll attempt to keep this succinct). Steven was introduced years before Cynthia, so it is illogical to assume that they stand on equal ground when comparing the two; Steven has been around for 3 generations,during which time EVERY region has been revisited. Cynthia has only had the opportunity to appear in four, already providing an unfair advantage in that department. And ok, with every word I type I'm staring at the "characters remaining" at the bottom, and I need to wrap this up, so final question: If Cynthia is meant to not be a fanservice character, why is it crucial for her to appear (just deleted that first paragraph) in Unova, seeing that she does no research, and she certainly NEEDS to own a vacation home in a region that's incredibly distant from the previous?
---
#36spooky96Posted 11/25/2012 6:36:18 AM
I don't know why I didn't enjoy gen 4. Maybe because it was too slow paced. Though Platinum was significantly better than D/P. Still not as good as others.
---
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h427/speaky961/serious.png
#37P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/25/2012 6:41:44 AM(edited)
nonomm79 posted...
nonomm79 posted...
LenneValkirye posted...

------

How is she "blatantly" meant to appeal to an older audience? I mean, is Adler supposed to appeal the octogenarians playing Pokemon? And as for what people do on the Internet, just because there are naughty pictures of character means something? Well, then everything is fan service because of Rule 34. Google Cynthia without Safesearch, you find naughty pictures, try it with Misty; you find FAR more.

------

Just read my response to Lenne. If we should continue this discussion, send me a PM so I can answer it later
---
#38dwdwdw6Posted 11/25/2012 6:47:31 AM
Platinum is my most favourite game. I wouldnt know any hate.
#39Pendragon71037Posted 11/25/2012 6:49:01 AM
Mine too, it was the first (technically second, I played the first stadium) pokemon game I ever owned!
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 4
Official Torterra of the W2 board.
#40Mage_LordPosted 11/25/2012 7:15:10 AM
Because it's not Gen 3