This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hate on sinnoh?

#41JohnnyG118Posted 11/25/2012 8:45:43 AM
Regarding Cynthia:

You are arguing about the merits and / or appropriateness of a CHARACTER and their CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT in a POKEMON game. Do you also like shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear?

Please continue to demonstrate your idiocy for the board.
#42GalladetheGreatPosted 11/25/2012 9:02:29 AM
I love Sinnoh.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dNXZN.jpg http://i.imgur.com/zr7iv.jpg
#43RatedRKO7Posted 11/25/2012 9:17:30 AM
My main problem was that I did not like Mt Corronet. I hated how if you want to get from one side of the region to the other you have to go through a cave. Also I hate having to use defog. I never thought they could make a worse flash but they managed to do it. Without defog you have less accuarcy during battles.
---
Got it memorized?- Axel
Not changing this sig until Edge get inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. Started 4/11/11
#44kingjam1Posted 11/25/2012 9:38:22 AM
Minus Mt Coronet and lack of fire pokemon before Platinum, Sinnoh was leagues above Hoenn. Also physical/special split.
---
Can't think of anything
#45Azure_AbsolPosted 11/25/2012 9:41:56 AM
Sinnoh is in my top 3. Mostly because of Gardenia, Glaceon, Candice and some of the music.
---
Rikka The Mystic Eye
http://i.imgur.com/jhIDd.gif http://i.imgur.com/GDn74.gif http://i.imgur.com/Y4ZZy.gif http://i.imgur.com/I6JBh.gif
#46LexifoxPosted 11/25/2012 10:11:41 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
She's used for fanservice in the fact that, while she is never revealing, she is meant to, as I said earlier, appeal to an older audience, one that might have lost interest in the games due to them being too childish. And then she's plopped in, after we've seen Blue, Lance, Steven, and Wallace as Champions. And then, suddenly, a wild appealing female champion appears, and you would have me believe that GameFreak had no other intentions than to SOLELY appease their feminine buyers, rather than an older audience? I'd rather not believe that.

So a female champion would be made purely because they wanted to attract a male audience? This is asinine. They don't need a female champion because they have female gym leaders, etc. for sex appeal. And if Cynthia were there for female buyers, well, then why is she female and not an attractive male character like Steven or Wallace? They likely added a female champion because they hadn't had a female champion yet and wanted variety. You're really reaching and projecting here.

On to your second topic, Cynthia is indeed introduced as a scholarly character. However, my argument lies with your first point, being that you've stated that fans would chose Giratina. My retaliation would be that the entire event was a plot device instilled upon us to remind us that Sinnoh is still prevalent amongst other regions; in that their legendaries appear, and that Sinnoh lies closely to Johto and Kanto; which, in retrospect, might have only been thought of to lay our mind into the fact that, in the next gen, we would be taken further away from this "main land" as you would have it. Also, I believe that event to be created by GameFreak solely to compensate for its lack of the giving away of the Azure Flute during the Sinnoh Arc; they needed an Arceus giveaway, and the Sinjoh Ruins event was just the next logical step.

In which case, Cynthia being female has nothing to do with her role because it was, as you said, "Sinnoh NPC to give Sinnoh legendary to remind you that Sinnoh is a thing and exists in the setting."

Okay, last topic (I ran out of characters earlier, so I'll attempt to keep this succinct). Steven was introduced years before Cynthia, so it is illogical to assume that they stand on equal ground when comparing the two; Steven has been around for 3 generations,during which time EVERY region has been revisited. Cynthia has only had the opportunity to appear in four, already providing an unfair advantage in that department.

Steven and Cynthia both appear in their respective games. Platinum makes a reference that suggests Steven owns the Villa at Resort Area. HG/SS has both appearing to help you get a regional legendary, but Steven has the much larger role as he's not an event character and is a part of multiple quests and gives you more Pokemon. Come BW, Cynthia is there for the occasional battle because she's the most recent champion, basically.

And ok, with every word I type I'm staring at the "characters remaining" at the bottom, and I need to wrap this up, so final question:

So stop explaining that you're running out of characters. You lose characters that way.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#47LexifoxPosted 11/25/2012 10:11:44 AM
If Cynthia is meant to not be a fanservice character, why is it crucial for her to appear (just deleted that first paragraph) in Unova, seeing that she does no research, and she certainly NEEDS to own a vacation home in a region that's incredibly distant from the previous?

When you first speak to her, she says she IS there to do research on the Abyssal Ruins.

Second, she DOESN'T own it. Caitlyn does. Cynthia refers to her as a friend (they both appeared in Platinum).

Third, the region is distant and that's why she only appears there half of the year. She explains that the rest of the time she's at other regions. The vacation thing is just because she needs to relax, too.

You are really bad at this.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#48P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/25/2012 10:34:28 AM
Lexifox posted...

So a female champion would be made purely because they wanted to attract a male audience? This is asinine. They don't need a female champion because they have female gym leaders, etc. for sex appeal. And if Cynthia were there for female buyers, well, then why is she female and not an attractive male character like Steven or Wallace? They likely added a female champion because they hadn't had a female champion yet and wanted variety. You're really reaching and projecting here.

Why are you arguing my point for me? I've stated that Cynthia isn't an attempt to appease a female audience, and you've done the same. It appears I'm not the one with difficulties .

In which case, Cynthia being female has nothing to do with her role because it was, as you said, "Sinnoh NPC to give Sinnoh legendary to remind you that Sinnoh is a thing and exists in the setting."

So tell me why then was it so important to bring Cynthia rather than, say, a Professor who specifically studies legendary pokemon?

Steven and Cynthia both appear in their respective games. Platinum makes a reference that suggests Steven owns the Villa at Resort Area. HG/SS has both appearing to help you get a regional legendary, but Steven has the much larger role as he's not an event character and is a part of multiple quests and gives you more Pokemon. Come BW, Cynthia is there for the occasional battle because she's the most recent champion, basically.

This area I can moderately agree in.

So stop explaining that you're running out of characters. You lose characters that way.

Merely an attempt to lighten the tone; you're taking that in an unintended way. Or you could take it as my way of saying that I shouldn't be wasting characters on a topic this simple, as that poster from before said.
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards
#49LexifoxPosted 11/25/2012 10:49:37 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Why are you arguing my point for me?

Because you're bad at it.

So tell me why then was it so important to bring Cynthia rather than, say, a Professor who specifically studies legendary pokemon?

Because then they create a wholly original NPC who's there for five minutes at best instead of an established character known for studying Arceus and its Dragon offspring. It would be a waste of an original character and by including Cynthia they get "points" for having a cameo of a character.
---
#50cloud_8f8fPosted 11/25/2012 10:53:23 AM
ThunderBlade5 posted...
I for one felt it didn't have the diversity that Hoenn had.

This makes no sense. Sinnoh has FAR more diversity than Hoenn.
---
Official Tepig of the B2W2 boards
Currently Playing: Pokemon Black 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D