This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New here! Questions about competitive...

#1Skyward_SneaselPosted 11/25/2012 1:19:37 PM
Hi everybody! I'm new here, and although I have been following the boards for a while, I only now decided to join you all.

I have been playing Pokemon for about 12 years, but I've never really done any competitive battling. I have now decided I should give it a go, and thought that a good team to begin with was an Eeveelution team. I do have a couple of questions though:
1. Is this a viable team?
2. Are there any pieces of advice or wisdom you would impart on a new competitive battler?
3. If necessary, could someone explain Smogon to me? It doesn't make much sense to me, I understand in-game concepts but Smogon and tiers confuse me

Thank you in advance, and I hope you will welcome me into your community with open arms!

tl;dr: I'm new, need help, please help, bye!
#2Octaivian_RexPosted 11/25/2012 1:22:59 PM(edited)
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

There you go!

And no, an eeveelution team is not viable outside of ***** and giggles.
---
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4489/actuallyworks.gif
#3uuurrrgghPosted 11/25/2012 1:23:17 PM
Anything works ingame, you might want to use something else in pvp
2. Are there any pieces of advice or wisdom you would impart on a new competitive battler?
BEWARE OF THE STALL TEAMS!
3. If necessary, could someone explain Smogon to me? It doesn't make much sense to me, I understand in-game concepts but Smogon and tiers confuse me
Smogon finds strategies for pokemon, and they grade how useful they can be in battle, stats, moves, and strategy-wise
---
I always listen, I just don't respond.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#4TableFlipPosted 11/25/2012 1:33:31 PM
Skyward_Sneasel posted...
Hi everybody! I'm new here, and although I have been following the boards for a while, I only now decided to join you all.

I have been playing Pokemon for about 12 years, but I've never really done any competitive battling. I have now decided I should give it a go, and thought that a good team to begin with was an Eeveelution team. I do have a couple of questions though:
It's decent.Like said earlier,BEWARE OF STALL TEAMS.
Try to have a fast pokemon with a fire or fight move.You'll need to have one so you won't lose to a pokemon called Genesect.
You'll have to listen to someone else's answer for that.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you will welcome me into your community with open arms!

tl;dr: I'm new, need help, please help, bye!

---
I don't even know anymore.
#5HydroDragonPosted 11/25/2012 1:37:55 PM
You could certainly build a team that includes Vaporeon, Jolteon and Espeon....I wouldn't recommend the others though. Not only are the others bad pokemon but all eevolutions share similar movepools so your team would be extremely limited.
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#6MugilokoPosted 11/25/2012 1:46:16 PM
Like TableFlip said, if you don't want to lose to a Genesect, get a fast Fire/Fighting pokemon. Like Infernape.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/a6/571Zoroark.png/180px-571Zoroark.png
#7Gaming_MasteryPosted 11/25/2012 1:47:25 PM
HydroDragon posted...
You could certainly build a team that includes Vaporeon, Jolteon and Espeon....I wouldn't recommend the others though. Not only are the others bad pokemon but all eevolutions share similar movepools so your team would be extremely limited.

Umbreon's pretty good at Walling.
---
Boycott Cartoon Network until they bring back the DC NATION block before January.
#8noname2lazyPosted 11/25/2012 1:48:49 PM(edited)
Gaming_Mastery posted...
HydroDragon posted...

Not in OU, it would be decent if you could still baton pass mean look though
#9infinitexxPosted 11/25/2012 1:50:23 PM
noname2lazy posted...
Gaming_Mastery posted...
HydroDragon posted...

Not in OU, it would be decent if you could still baton pass mean look though

Nor in UU for that matter. It is notable as a support pokemon in UU.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#10FuzzyJelloPosted 11/25/2012 1:52:14 PM
Smogon attempts to create a balanced Pokemon metagame by tracking how those who battle on the simulators it uses (which change periodically) play; what Pokemon they use, what Pokemon they use to cover the weaknesses of others, what movesets they use, what team themes they run, etc. in hopes of finding the top 10-15% of Pokemon in that generation's environment. As more Pokemon are introduced and older Pokemon get new moves and benefit from new gameplay mechanices, the top dogs change; example, Tauros was end-all-be-all in Red/Blue, not so anymore, while the Physical/Special Split and Dragon Dance, among other things, have made Gyarados a standard for Diamond/Pearl and Black/White while he was merely okay for the first three generations.

Tiers are based on usage, under the assumption that Pokemon used the most often over the long term are the best. Sometimes the inverse can happen; Umbreon made standard by usage near the end of D/P, yet most of Smogon's mouthpieces didn't consider him up to par. OverUsed is standard, while Under, Rarely, and Neverused follow. Ubers, filled mostly by the stronger Legends (Say, Mewtwo, Rayquaza and Dialga are Uber, Zapdos, Suicune, and Regirock aren't- Celebi dropped out of Ubers in DP, Mew in BW), is a banlist for overused, but also played as a Legendary-centric tier. You're allowed to use Pokemon from any lower tiers in higher ones, so despite drawing tier lines no one compels you to use standards, you just acknowledge the risk you take by using those Pokemon.